Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Newbie Frequently Asked Questions

Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Default problems with newsletter downloads

Hello! I was trying to download Stella's surprise and Brenda's papers from the current newsletter,but I'm getting an error when I click on the items to connect....Is anyone else having the same problem? It doesn't come up with a zip file to save-it connects to a blank page instead of the Stone Studio site if that's where it's suppose to be connecting.Can someone please advise?

thanks,
Ann
Old 10-10-2008, 02:39 PM
SAS-y Diamond

Hi Ann - I'm sorry you've had this problem. I'll poke Lori and point her to this post and she'll be able to help you.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
theStudio Picasso

Hmm, that's puzzling. I always check all the links before the newsletter goes out. I'll go take a look. Which version of the newsletter are you reading?

Oh, just a thought, but it's possible you're having problems because of your pop-up blocker. Make sure you have it set temporarily allow pop-ups, because it opens another window before initiating the download.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:52 PM
theStudio Picasso

I just retested all four freebies and they all downloaded fine, although two of them, Stella's and Erika's, did take a bit longer for the save box to open. I'm not sure if the file size has anything to do with that, or if it's just the volume of people trying to download at the same time. Just leave the blank window open a bit and it'll come up.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:45 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I'm still getting an error message that says "cannot find path to those files".....I'll have to wait ...I guess and see if anyone else has the same problem....I've always been able to retrieve the files from the newsletter before so this is strange...I don't have a pop up blocker on...

thanks,
Ann
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori11941 View Post
I just retested all four freebies and they all downloaded fine, although two of them, Stella's and Erika's, did take a bit longer for the save box to open. I'm not sure if the file size has anything to do with that, or if it's just the volume of people trying to download at the same time. Just leave the blank window open a bit and it'll come up.
I'm having a problem downloading also. Here's the message that I get:
"The file /C:/Users/Lori/Documents/Stone Accents/Newsletter/2008-10-08/stcr_free_oct7sas.zip cannot be found. Please check the location and try again."

You can see by the message that it's looking for the file on my C: drive in a user's folder named 'Lori'. LOL, maybe that's why you didn't have any problems yourself Lori.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:19 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddinam View Post
I'm still getting an error message that says "cannot find path to those files".....I'll have to wait ...I guess and see if anyone else has the same problem....I've always been able to retrieve the files from the newsletter before so this is strange...I don't have a pop up blocker on...

thanks,
Ann
Ann - I just discovered that it's the .pdf version of the newsletter with link problems. The html version works fine.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Smile

Thanks for letting me know.How do I get the html version? I already d/l the
pdf one and deleted the newsletter...

thanks again,
Ann
Old 10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Hi Ann!

HERE is the link to the newsletter. You will have two choices, to download the PDF or to view HTML online! Hope that helps!
Old 10-12-2008, 04:05 PM
theStudio Picasso

Oh! Now that I know where the problem is, I can fix the PDF version. When I retested it was with the HTML version. And of course, when I tried the download off the PDF version it worked, since it was looking for my hard drive in the first place. I was trying something new this week so that whichever server we used for the newsletter, it would download from that server, but apparently it didn't work quite like I'd anticipated. I'll fix the PDF right now. But you can go into the HTML version and get the freebies immediately without waiting for me to reupload.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Smile

Thank you All!! Lori,Brenda and Kimberly-I appreciate your help! I just clicked on the link from Kimberly and I'm d/l'ing them now-I'll make sure I can open them...

thanks again,
Ann
Old 10-14-2008, 08:28 AM
theStudio Party Girl

You are quite welcome! We wouldn't want you to miss out on the NL freebies!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
theStudio Picasso

Just so anyone else who might have had problems knows, I fixed and replaced the PDF version too. So if you had the old version already downloaded, you'll want to redownload it to get the revised links. Now I know for next time that I can't do the links the way I did or it doesn't translate right in the PDF version.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Thanks Lori!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM
theStudio Picasso

I've been having a problem with downloads in general and have been blaming it on a Windows update. The newsletter has been a problem in both versions. Today I tried it using Firefox rather than IE - and had no problem at all..

I think I'm going to become a dedicated Firefox user.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Linda, all I use is firefox.... LOVE it!!

I stopped using IE and looked for an alternative when it kept booting me off and shutting down repeatedly!! Grrr!! ad: I've never looked back since I found firefox! I've never had a problem with it!