Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
theStudio QC CT

Default Journaling Survey

I have a question for all you super-scrappers out there. It is about journaling. In what person do you journal? In other words, for a photo of my hubby and his first car (this is not the actual journaling, just an example of what I am trying to ask):

This is Charlie and his first car.
This is Daddy and his first car.
This was my first car (as if he were journaling on the photo).
Grandpa's first car (since the photo albums will eventually be given to the grandkids and generations beyond).

Do you get what I am asking? I had a photo a while back of four generations of my hubby's family -- His grandfather, his father, his oldest brother, and his oldest brother's oldest son. How would you journal who these people were? It is confusing to me sometimes and I certainly want future generations to be able to determine who the people in the photos were without looking at a family history chart.

Tell me how you do it, and why. THANKS.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
the Studio - Designer

I get what you mean, I would be putting:

'This is Charlie and his first car'

I would also be putting a journal box at the beginning of the album to tell future generations who is putting the 'Scrapbook' together and what relationship I share with the people mentioned in the album, or even a family tree at the beginning of the album.

Something along these lines
Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
SAS-y Diamond

I agree. Just tell it like it is, just like you would say it if you were actually sitting down with someone and telling them about the photos.

Janalyn's Place Blog
Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM
theStudio Designer

I agree. When I put my book together I dedicated a page to tell about why and for whom I made this book with my name on the bottom. Who knows maybe a few generations later someone will still be interested to look at it.
The journaling on the pages are my thoughts, as I'm telling a story to whoever wants to read it.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:46 PM
theStudio Designer

I agree with all the previous responses, Tell it like a story book that's what it is afterall. That way you can have the thoughts of the person in the pic in there but also journal somewhere who it is and when!!

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason

Old 03-26-2009, 08:35 AM
theStudio Party Girl

In agreement! I tell the story because I am the one doing the layouts! I never thought about a page to explain who I am and why I am doing the layouts, that's a great idea! But, generally I just tell it the way I see it!

Unless I have a specific layout idea and want the words to be coming from someone else (like thought bubbles) then I will journal like that person was talking.

It's always good to mix it up though, tell the story in 3rd person, or whatever. I did unusual journaling in my layout here... I thought it was cute! :p

Most times I use "Daddy" because the books will be going to my children, and then their children eventually, but I think the future generations will understand if they know their history! It's always good to do a family tree type thing anyway!

Last edited by kimberkatt; 03-26-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 AM
theStudio Picasso

In my regular everyday" books, I tell the stories in first person so that whoever reads it is seeing my autobiography.

When I did the gift heritage books last year for my brother, cousins and me, I journaled in the first person, but using "our" rather than I as if we all are telling our grandparents' story to the future generations of our family. The 18th birthday books I'm doing for my nieces will be told in first person from me to you, using "I was..." and "your sister, mom, dad, etc..." I think if I did a booke for hire, I'd write it as if I was doing a story about someone famous, since in a personal way, we're all famous to our own loved ones.

So, how I journal totally depends on for whom I'm making the page and how I'm going to package it. But in my own scrapbooks, I journal from my point of view but with the "everyone wants to know this" attitude!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:59 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Nani, you have such a gift of storytelling! I love reading your blog! Most times I fumble with what I'm writing,wondering if it is interesting enough, but I guess it will be interesting to future generations who maybe didn't know us or weren't there for the moment! I know I'd love to have had a scrapbook from my ancestors, it would have been fascinating to read!!