Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Genealogy and Heritage Center > Genealogy and Heritage links and research sites

Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 PM
SAS-y Pearl

Default Ancestry.com

Does anyone here use sites like ancestry.com to do their family research? I am brand new to genealogy and do not know very much at all about my family history as no one in my family really is into it... and my grandparents are all dead.

What would you suggest someone who is just starting out on the researching of family history begin with?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Super SAS-y Moderator

Ancestry has some aspects that are free to the user, but there are many that you must pay to access. You might also consider using www.usgenweb.org and then choosing the state you need from the left side of the page. You will see Ancestry banners on this site as they were merged several years ago. However, the things that were contributed to USGenWeb remain free to the users. ( I worked with this project from 1996 until late in 2004, the volunteers are wonderful and very helpful). Feel free to pm me and I will help with anything I can. Also watch the forum for upcoming lessons

Hugs,
JanW.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:34 PM
SAS-y Scrapper

Smile

First is to find out as much info as you can from your parents, their siblings, aunts and uncles that are still living. Sometimes you can find other relations you might not even know that have done research on one of the research sites. I personally love Ancestry, and have found several great great grandparents. Make sure you find out where they lived and if they moved from another state or county. I started out with the census reports on Ancestry because it is pricey and I wasn't sure how much time I could really devote to the research.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Ancestry.com is a wonderful resource and they are getting more and more records available. They also lowered their prices from $29.95 a month to $19.95 a month. Many times you can get a 14 day free trial.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:55 PM
SAS-y Pebble

To start with, talk to your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles etc. and begin compiling a five generation pedigree chart with you as person #1. Build from that using census records and searching for vital records. It's very addicting once you get started.