Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > Household & Family Tips n Tricks

Household & Family Tips n Tricks What's going on in your life? Got some tips and tricks that you have learned along the way that make life run a little smoother? Are you looking for tips and tricks to help you along the way? Post those tips and tricks here or request help with a burning issue in your life.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
theStudio Monet

Default EASY Crock Pot Recipies

Okay, I'm trying to cook more, and it's so hard and time consuming with my kids being so little. So I've started using my crock pot cause I can throw stuff in mid morning when things are relatively calm and let it cook all day or 1/2 of the day and be ready for my sweet dh when he gets home from work.

That said... I'm limited on what recipies I have. So I was wondering if any of you fabulous ladies had easy yummy crock pot recipies I could try?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 PM
theStudio Artist

My family's absolute favorite is a crock pot roast: The roast should fit your crock with enough room around it to add veggies (I have a big crock & can use a 3-4 pound roast). Turn on crock pot. Mix 2 packages of onion soup mix and 4 cups of hot water in crock. Place roast carefully into crock. Cut up uncooked potatoes, carrots & celery and place them in pot around roast. Add pepper and sprinkle with rosemary (optional). I also add a cup or so of red wine. I like the liquid to come about halfway up the roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or High for 3-4 hours (time really depends on roast size). I've heard that people will put the roast in frozen, but, I've never tried that myself. If you have an elk hunter in your family, this is an awesome recipe for an elk roast.

You may want to check out allrecipes.com. Search for slow cooker as well as crock pot. I've gotten some good recipes there.

~Have a wonderfully creative moment each day.~

Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 AM
theStudio Monet

Oh thanks! This looks so yummy! I do have a hunter in my family. He gets a deer every year, though, and hasn't gone elk hunting in years. He says he got tired of dragging it out cause they're so much bigger.

I am definitely going to try this! Thank you!

Old 01-14-2010, 02:15 AM
theStudio Artist

We don't elk hunt anymore for the same reason!! It takes too long to recuperate!

~Have a wonderfully creative moment each day.~

Old 01-31-2010, 05:21 AM
theStudio Designer

Here's a blog with lots of great crocky recipes: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Oh Michelle, I love my crock pot!! I use it almost on a daily basis!

I have this one "recipe" I suppose you can call it, just something I threw together with what I had in the house - sorry, no measurements or anything, I just winged it! LOL!

I call it Italian Chicken Stew - I used two large split chicken breasts, a can of crushed tomatoes & a can of diced tomatoes - added some Italian seasoning, salt, pepper & small amount of sugar (to take the acidity away from the tomatoes) - then, cut up some potatoes & carrots & throw them in around the sides - add enough water to come up about 2/3 of the chicken, set the crock on low & let that baby simmer all day long, anywhere from 5-8 hours - if you notice the "sauce" is a bit thin, you can add tomato paste to thicken it up to your liking

I tell ya - my hubby is extremely picky about what he eats (the stinker!) but, he LOVES this dish!! Eats it right up!! Score for the wifey who can't cook!!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM
theStudio Designer

Smile

LOL! I just saw this thread today minutes after i finished tossing stuff into my own crockpot! ha ha ha! We love roast in our house too, but we use Venison (with all fat removed since thats where the 'wild' taste' comes from) we pack carrots, onions and potatoes around it pour on a dry package of onion soup mix and turn it on high for about 6-7 hours, super easy and delish! i cannot even imagine how difficult it must be to process an Elk! I get tired just working on one deer! :-)

We also like to make spaghetti sauce and meatballs in ours to serve over pasta tossing in pre-chopped garden veggies like frozen tomatoes, onions, green peppers, garlic with a some canned tomato sauce and spices and let that cook for a few hours as well, YUM! i love italian food!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM
theStudio Artist

Here's one of the first crockpot recipe that I ever tried (while I was in high school, in my mom's brand new crockpot). It's been a favorite ever since.

Great Chicken
3 lbs. of chicken pieces, skin removed

1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. tomato juice
1/2 c. oil (can reduce or eliminate if desired)
1/2 c. brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced

Mix together all of the ingredients (except chicken) in a bowl. Dip each piece of chicken in the the sauce and then place it in the crockpot. Pour remaining sauce over the chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

Makes about 6 servings.

(The sauce makes a really tasty addition to plain rice served alongside the chicken.)

Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Oh, that sounds delicious!!! I am definitely going to try that one out! Thanks!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

Yummy!!! yum yum!!! I will have to talk to the cook! heehee! Dh usually cooks..
Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

When I used to cook...lol! sometimes he lets me..i used to make my version of swedish meatballs..i would make the meatballs and brown them in a frying pan or in the oven then place them in the pot with diced onions, mushroom slices, mix together 1st and pour over (onion soup mix,cream of mushroom soup, sourcream and some water and milk) served with butter noodles and spill some parmesan cheese over it...yummy!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

Michelle, if you like stuffed peppers, you can make a casseroley type dish, put cooked and drained ground beef, large dices of onions and green peppers, stewed tomatoes, tomato juice, tomato soup,and rice together...layer it though...i had a nesco, almost like a crock pot...used to make it all the time...you can put cabbage instead of peppers and make a golumki casserole instead...
Old 03-03-2010, 11:07 PM
theStudio Monet

Great, yummy ideas! Thanks ladies. I'll be trying these.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Mexican Pot Roast

Get a beef shoulder or chuck roast that you put in the crockpot with canned tomatos or tomato puree, cilantro, garlic, a few bay leaves, ground cumin and chili powder. By the end of the day the meat should just tear apart. You can either serve it as tacos or over rice, even use it to make shredded-beef burritos or enchiladas. It's super yummy!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 AM
theStudio Designer

Hmm sounds yummy but what is cilantro, I'll have to google that one we don't have it here as far as I know Thanks for the recipe hun!

Okay I just googled it and it's coriander leaves yay though I would have to omit that anyway cause Hubby doesn't like coriander urgh!! LOL

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer ~ QC Liason

Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
theStudio Artist

Well, a lot of times you can substitute one spice for another... I'm not really sure in this case but I know recently my hubby was making a curry dish and he didn't have tumeric but he substituted dry mustard and it worked great Enjoy!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

Tracy, you can substitute flat leaf italian parsley for the cilantro....
Old 03-07-2010, 04:16 AM
theStudio Designer

Oh cool thanks gals

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer ~ QC Liason

Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Default Re: EASY Crock Pot Recipies

I really enjoyed your recipes , i hate cooking but the crockpot comes in Handy in winter LOL
Hmm now whats cooking in the Gallerys back to digi stuff! LOL