Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 PM
theStudio Artist

I have a program I'm trying to use that helps you categorize images. You can link key words or categories (more than one) you create (meaning you can call 'em whatever you want) to an image.

I had a hard drive crash, so I'm having to rebuild it, but I bet I could have backed up something in that program to avoid having to relink all the images with a category.

Anyway, the thought process here is to link key words such as - for a flower choose - categories: "flower", "color", "commercial use". The program is called ACDsee Photo Manager. I don't really like to buy software unless I really need it, and for $50 (which given the functionality I think it's a decent price) this thing can help me be organized in a way that's super helpful. I mean how often do you have in mind exactly what type of element you want but spend 20 minutes trying to find it 'cause you can't remember who made it or what the kit was called? All I have to do is open the program and choose the categories that match my criteria and all the items that fall in to those show up in thumbnail format - so I can quickly browse through every, pink, flower for commercial use in my stash! You can select multiple images and put them in multiple categories without having to touch each and every one and select each category. That's super-duper handy with those mega kits!!

Now, while I'm still trying to re-organize after my crash I think my method is most similar to Tracy. I have one folder called Downloads. From there I have a main sub-folder called Commercial. I put anything not commercial in the download folder, a folder per designer. Similarly I put a folder by designer in the Commercial folder. Even with the program, I use those same folders to give me one location to dump scrapping supplies.

Lesson learned - think about backing up your program options, not just your data. If I had figured out how to do that, I could have just restored that protion and gone about scrapping a faster and easier way.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joba2 View Post
Here's a link to the site for the comprehensive tagging system for digisupplies.You can buy the system already set up to put on your computer or somewhere on the site ( didn't look for it now--if you are interested just search around on the site ) you can just see the system suggestions & set it up yourself which I did. I used photoshopelements organizer but ACDsee is one alot of people really like.
http://www.thedigitalscrapbookteacher.com/book.html
AWESOME! Thanks so much for the link Joba! I've never been to this site before so I'm gonna poke around a bit! I may even have to get her book, considering I use PSE!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Cindy - I soooo want to get ACDSee, I've heard nothing but great things about that program! I have to agree, $50 is pretty cheap for a program that can do so much!! I used to have Digital Scraproom, and I LOVED it!! It was available about 3 years ago, and since then, they have stopped production/upgrades. Because of this, when I got a new computer, I couldn't re-download and install, so I lost the program! I didn't realize how efficient it made my scrapping until it was gone! So, I've been looking for a program that's similar and ACDSee seems to be the only one on the market! I need an organizer that I can import thumbnails from DVD's - I can't possibly store all of my supplies on my hard drive - which is why programs like Picassa are of no use to me!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:28 PM
theStudio Artist

Wow, if I had only known these tips before I would not be in the mess I am right now.
I sure would love that tab delimited text of categories.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cath_ View Post
Wow, if I had only known these tips before I would not be in the mess I am right now.
I sure would love that tab delimited text of categories.
Cath, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:33 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkatt View Post
^^^ OMGoodness! LORI!!! ^^^

Hiya lady!! How are things? I hope much better than the last time we heard from you! It's nice to have you back!
Kim!

I feel like I've come home, lol. It's so great to have time for stuff I enjoy again! So much has happened. I really need to give everyone an update ... but not here in the general forum. Eeek! lol
Old 01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy

Hey Lori, I'm with Kim!!! So nice to see you again. I've missed you & worried about and it sounds like you are in great spirits.

Beautiful to see the LO's as well.

Smooches,

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori11941 View Post
Kim!

I feel like I've come home, lol. It's so great to have time for stuff I enjoy again! So much has happened. I really need to give everyone an update ... but not here in the general forum. Eeek! lol

my email
Old 01-30-2010, 05:50 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggyscraps View Post
Hey Lori, I'm with Kim!!! So nice to see you again. I've missed you & worried about and it sounds like you are in great spirits.

Beautiful to see the LO's as well.

Smooches,

T
Thanks Toiny. It's so great to be back here amongst friends. It was an experience, not one I'd wish on my worst enemy. But with the help of my family, and with grace of God, the kids and I made it through and are in a better place.

I love what you've done with the site and everything you've been doing is amazing. I know the work that goes on behind all this so, frankly, I'm awed.