Go Back   theStudio > Welcome to theStudio! > About theStudio

About theStudio Learn about our scrappy home on the web, ask a question or grab a blinkie!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:44 PM
theStudio Warhol

Default Alert!! Do Not Open PM from "Eternity"

I'm posting this just as a precaution. I just received an email that I had a PM from "Eternity." In the email, the message read "I'm new here, etc." I logged into the Studio site and deleted it without opening.

I received a PM similar to this one a few weeks ago at another scrap site (from Serendipity2 and it had approximately the same wording), and someone at that site warned us all about it. Unfortunately, I had opened the PM there, before deleting, and thankfully, it did not do any damage.

You just never know, so I wasn't going to be pulled in again, and this time may not be so lucky. Since this PM was omniously familiar to the other, I wanted to pass this info along, JUST IN CASE!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
theStudio Designer

this sounds like a spammer so please report any suspicious pm messages to the admin team or moderators. Thanks Scrappygal

I have banned this user!

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason

Last edited by Ambowife Designs; 02-25-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 PM
theStudio Scribbler

yep she inboxed (PM'd) me too and just said hi I am new here I just deleted it because it just sounded odd....
Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Tracy not sure if this makes any sense but in my PM from her (Eternity) it said that she was banned under her name but she was still able to PM me.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 PM
theStudio Warhol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambowife Designs View Post
this sounds like a spammer so please report any suspicious pm messages to the admin team or moderators. Thanks Scrappygal

I have banned this user!

Tracy, I had PM'd Toiny about it (as I assume she and yourself and possibly the other designers?) would be the "admin team," but is there someone in particular I should report something like this to?
Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 PM
the Studio - Designer

Toiny, Tracy, Heidi or even myself if no-one else responds, thanks Diane
Old 02-26-2010, 04:15 AM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justk View Post
Tracy not sure if this makes any sense but in my PM from her (Eternity) it said that she was banned under her name but she was still able to PM me.
justk if she sent it before I banned her then it would still have been in the system. You shouldn't get any more from her. I hope that's the end of this kind of spamming for now at least. But sites like the studio are always a target for this sort of thing, I guess cause we get a fair bit of traffic here.

Let me know if you get any more messages similar to this so we can get onto them straight away and thanks for letting us know
Tracy

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 02-26-2010, 04:13 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

I hate Spammers...
Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I got 2 from her but deleted them. they didn't seem to do any damage to my computer but I did find this a bit odd. Thanks for this info
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Oh, I've seen these all over the place! It's just another way to spam the forums with links to their sites... they use general wording, like a type of introduction, but they hyperlink the words with links to their sites... they think if it goes through the PM system they won't get caught as fast as if they just posted on the forum... you shouldn't be worried about getting a virus just from opening the message, it's impossible for them to attach anything to the forum because it's restricted... they would have to hack in to be able to do anything like that...

if you do get a message that looks weird, open the message (DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE LINKS WITHIN THE MESSAGE!) and you can use the report icon on the top right corner... looks like a triangle with an exclamation and should say "report" if you hover over it with your mouse... that way, it will get reported to all of us Mod/Admins and one of us will get in here to ban them ASAP!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 AM
theStudio Scrapper

Just wanted to Thank You for the fabulous freebie Lilypond. It is a awesome kit. I enjoy your site very much. Also wanted to Thank You for the warning on the spamming.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 PM
theStudio Artist

Oh know.. I checked my mail before i came in here! I opened it, read the first line, and shut it quickly. Dear Lord, I opened on of these things on another site too. I hope nothing happens like a virus. The problem is none of us knows everyone's name in here and you can't go around not answering pms for social reasons. This stinks!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 AM
theStudio Designer

It's not a hacker hun it's just someone promoting their site by sending pm's to heaps of people with a link on it, not able to do any real damage I think and the member has been banned now also. Just delete anything that seems strange like this.

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 AM
theStudio Party Girl

you won't ever get a virus from the site, posts, or PM's just by opening up the message. JUST DON'T EVER CLICK ON A LINK IN A POST OR PM IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO IT'S FROM OR IF IT LOOKS SUSPICIOUS!

Clicking on an outside link, that leads away from this site, is where you will catch the virus, if there is one! Most of these spammers are just promoting their own websites, no threat of virus'. It just more of an annoyance than anything else!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 AM
theStudio Artist

Thanks for all of the info and for keeping the site safe and clean.