Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Challenges and Contests > Decorate your WordArt

Decorate your WordArt *NEW* February, 2010... hosted by the Queen of WordArt herself, Kimberkatt Scraps. can be uploaded to Decorate your WordArt Gallery

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 AM
theStudio Designer

Default April WA Renewed!!

Hey Ladies, Steph aka ScrappyCocoa here, I have talked to Kim and offered to take over this months challenge for her! So spread the word!!! I have never done one of these before, so hopefully I wont mess it up too bad! Here is an example of the WA technique that I am going to show you today.

I love the look of overlapping words. I love the burned edges to make it look "puffy". I use this all the time when a kit doesn't have an alpha and I want a fun look.

You can get the Black and white version of this WA HERE
Ok, to make your WA look like this, there are 2 parts.

1. First pick your 2 fonts. I usually like to make the back font a thick blocky type and the front font a thin cursive type. I Clip a paper to both fonts. Make sure it is the same paper.
2. layer the words so the smaller word is on top. Stroke that smaller font so you can see the outline on top of the bigger word.
3. Make the stroke a separate layer. In PS you right click and then click make layer.
4. To make it look like the smaller font is cutting out of the bigger font, clip a paper to the stroke of the smaller font. {like you were using a template} In most cases it is the background paper. Make sense?

Now to make the bigger word appear "puffy" ~
1. Select the bigger word so that it has marching ants around it. In PS if you hold control or command while clicking the thumbnail it will select it.
2. Inverse the selection.
3. Modify the selection. Do this by going to select/modify then choose expand. Set the pixels to whatever you want. I usually do between 10-15 for chunkier fonts.
4. Feather the selection. Do this be going to select/modify/ feather. I usually set the pixels for the same amount as I did the expand.
5. You now have marching ants inside your letters. Use the burn tool {in PS shortcut O. It is the little tool that looks like a stick with a circle on the end} to darken around the edges.

And your done! Hope this was helpful and not too confusing! Please feel free to ask any questions, I will try and answer to the best of my abilities! Can't wait to see your LO!