Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Hybrid Classes > Hybrid 101

Hybrid 101 Introduction to Hybrid led by Angel Hartline Designs.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Arrow Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 5: Binding Options

There are a lot of options for binding mini books from ribbon to jump rings to using special crafting tools especially for binding. In fact you’ll find there are suitable binding materials all over the place. When you select a binding method/material there are a few things to keep in mind: the weight & strength of your mini book pages, how much you expect the mini book to be handled and who will be handling it.

Let’s take a look at a few popular options.

Jump rings are a super easy and popular way to bind all sorts of mini books. They’re strong, inexpensive, come in various sizes and so easy to use. You should be able to find jump rings in any craft store or you can order them online. There are even some fun variations and specialty jump rings available. For example check out these from 7Gypsies. TIP: If you order online, make sure to check the size! The little tiny rings used for jewelry making are also called jump rings.

All you need to do to use a jump ring is punch a hole (or two or three) with a regular hole punch all the way through your mini book, then insert the jump ring. If you’re using heavier materials such as chipboard you might need a stronger hole punch such as a Crop-A-Dile but if you’re printing onto cardstock a regular hole punch should do the job.

I’ll be using jump rings to bind my mini book. The ones I have on hand are 7Gypsies Chrome Custom Binding Rings and they’re just under 1.5inch in diameter.

Here’s a simple book I created using jump rings. It’s a bit hard to see them because I’ve tied lots of bits of ribbon on them which is one of my favorite was to use ribbon bits.

Speaking of ribbon, you can simply use ribbon to bind mini books! I do this all the time, especially for my own personal little mini books with just a few pages. Simply punch two or three holes through your mini book, pull ribbon through and tie. Tip: Do not make your ribbon too tight! You need to allow room to easily turn the pages. If in doubt, just leave the ribbon a little longer than you think you need. If it’s too long when you’re done all you have to do is retie it a bit tighter.

Here’s a hybrid printable book that I tied with ribbon:

There are actually a variety of tools available for binding mini books as well. Here are a couple of favorites:

The Bind-It-All allows you to create a variety of spiral bindings:

Photo from the Bind-It-All Blog

There are also simple punches available suitable for creating fun bindings such as the Ribbon Stitch Border Punch by McGill. I have one of these and it’s super fun. Sometimes I don’t thread the ribbon like shown - you can also use it like a multi hole punch and tie several ribbons through your book in the same manner I showed above. If you do this it seems to work best to use skinny ribbons.

Other fun binding ideas I’ve seen on mini books:
  • Stitched
  • Twist Ties
  • Binder Clips
  • Key Chains
  • Plastic Threading/Lacing (like you use to make beaded kids jewelry)

• Finish scrapping your pages and/or covers.

Tomorrow we’ll talk about printing options then we’ll begin work on assembly. I’m so impressed with your books so far and can’t wait to see how they progress!

PDF Printable of this Post: http://angelhartline.com/images/hybr... theStudio.pdf
Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM
theStudio Warhol

Default Re: Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 5: Binding Options

LOL, now I'm ready to begin yesterday's step of scrapping my pages!!
However, I don't plan on adding any embellies after printing, so hopefully I won't fall too behind the rest of the class!! ;-)
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allergy_mom View Post
LOL, now I'm ready to begin yesterday's step of scrapping my pages!!
However, I don't plan on adding any embellies after printing, so hopefully I won't fall too behind the rest of the class!! ;-)
Oh, no, you won't fall behind! If you don't plan on adding many physical embellies you easily have another day to spend on digital
Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
theStudio Artist

Oh I'm behind too... this has given me some ideas though. LOL

My Blog