Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Hybrid Classes > Hybrid 101

Hybrid 101 Introduction to Hybrid led by Angel Hartline Designs.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 AM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Arrow Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 4: Combining Digital & Physical Supplies

Now that we’ve created the foundation of our mini book, we’re going to work on scrapping all the individual pages. How much of your book you scrap digitally is completely up to you, so let me give you a few tips to help you plan out and create your pages using both digital and physical supplies.

After we print our books, we’ll need to bind them. Whether you use jump rings or ribbons or any other binding material, you’ll need to allow some space for that when you’re scrapping your pages. As you can see in my screenshot, I’ve added guides to my file to mark my binding allowance ½ inch on either side of the fold line. The guides are indicated by the two red vertical lines in my screenshot, but guides can be any color so don’t be alarmed if your guides are blue which is I believe the default.

In Photoshop guides are only visible on the screen and are simply there to help you layout your materials. To insert a guide, all you need to do is select your move tool, click on the ruler on the edge of your document, and drag a new guide into position. You can move it at any time using the move tool, so don’t worry if you accidentally position it incorrectly at first.

Also, you can hide/show your guides at any time in case they’re distracting to you. Simply go to:

View Menu -->Show --> Guides

In addition to using guides, it’s incredibly helpful to use place holders for physical supplies when you’re creating hybrid projects. This allows you to place your digital elements in the correct location instead of estimating where you’ll end up placing them. In addition it gives you the chance to see at least roughly how your assembled project will look.

You can use a variety of things as place holders including other digital supplies or just plain shapes. When using other digital supplies from your stash, you don’t have to worry at all if they’re not the right color or a bit different in design than the real product you’re using.

I often use the shapes that come with Photoshop as place holders and you can also use any of the basic drawing tools to add in whatever shapes you need. It doesn’t matter how exact or pretty they are for this purpose! Just make them basically the same size as the physical element they’ll represent.

When you’re ready to print, you simply hide the place holder layers and you have a perfectly positioned project. Here you can see I’ve added flower and heart place holders into my page:

1. Work on scrapping your pages and/or covers.

I will post more info tomorrow but we’ll continue this task so please don’t feel like you have to rush to finish all of them in one day. Happy scrapping!

ETA: Section on page order
I completely understand why the order would be confusing and I apologize for not explaining it in today's lesson! It's one of things I took for granted from making mini books for so long. Let me explain...

Due to the folding along the middle the pages seem to end up flipped from what your mind might assume. And actually it doesn't matter at all which side of the paper you choose to bind so long as you decide before hand (the folded edge or the cut edge). The template is completely symmetrical so it's entirely your preference. I tend to ink all my edges so it doesn't matter visually, but I use the folded edge to bind simply because it's a bit stronger.

Binding along the fold in the middle is what causes the visual "flip flop" of the page. The mini book will layout like this:

As far as the pages go, when you lay them out just decide which side you will bind on therefore which side will be the back after folding. Since I planned my binding margin along the fold, the left side of my page will the back after folding (it might help you to visualize it to actually fold one piece of paper or print out a draft of one page and fold it).

I hope this answers your questions!!!

PDF Printable of this Post: http://angelhartline.com/images/hybr... theStudio.pdf

Last edited by Angeltown; 09-02-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 PM
theStudio Warhol

Default Re: Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 4: Combining Digital & Physical Supplies

Ok, I'm officially confused...
I need to lay out my pages in order, and I can't figure out how we are going to assemble this book, nor did I see instructions included in the template. We are obviously not binding the open edges, but rather the folded edges. Could you post some kind of diagram or explanation to help me understand how to plan the order of my pages (front, inside front, pg1, pg2, inside back, back)?
Thanks, maybe I'm the only one who's just not visualizing it properly!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:13 PM
theStudio Designer

Default Re: Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 4: Combining Digital & Physical Supplies

nope -- you are not alone -- I could use some explanation too
Old 08-24-2010, 05:31 PM
theStudio Monet

i took some small scraps of paper and used them for reference. i folded each in half, like the templates, then put them together folded, and wrote down the page numbers (front cover, front cover inside, page 1, page 2, and so on...) on each side. then i unfolded them and used them to refer to the digital pages as i made them. i labelled the finished (day 3) page pairs in the layers palette to correspond with the page number on the paper scraps so i could have an idea of what i want on each page.
i don't know if it's right, but that's what i've been doing so far. (i sometimes print booklets for friends and family and this is the way i came up with to work out page placement so i can lay out the pages on the computer, in separate page files, and have everything line up well when i print). hope this makes sense, and helps.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM

I completely understand why the order would be confusing and I apologize for not explaining it in today's lesson! It's one of things I took for granted from making mini books for so long. Let me explain...

Due to the folding along the middle the pages seem to end up flipped from what your mind might assume. And actually it doesn't matter at all which side of the paper you choose to bind so long as you decide before hand (the folded edge or the cut edge). The template is completely symmetrical so it's entirely your preference. I tend to ink all my edges so it doesn't matter visually, but I use the folded edge to bind simply because it's a bit stronger.

Binding along the fold in the middle is what causes the visual "flip flop" of the page. The mini book will layout like this:

As far as the pages go, when you lay them out just decide which side you will bind on therefore which side will be the back after folding. Since I planned my binding margin along the fold, the left side of my page will the back after folding (it might help you to visualize it to actually fold one piece of paper or print out a draft of one page and fold it).

Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 AM
theStudio Warhol

Yes, I get it, but how do you join the cut edges so that they turn as one?
Thanks for helping me out with this...!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:22 AM

There are several binding options and we'll be covering those later today
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 AM
theStudio Warhol

ok, ok, I"ll be patient.... lol!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 AM
theStudio Designer

Angel -- I probably missed this in the earlier instructions but if I did, maybe others did too ...... are we printing the final pages duplex (on both sides with different images) or are we printing them one sided and then glueing pages together.....or some other option?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita_d View Post
Angel -- I probably missed this in the earlier instructions but if I did, maybe others did too ...... are we printing the final pages duplex (on both sides with different images) or are we printing them one sided and then glueing pages together.....or some other option?
No problem, Anita! It's a LOT to remember especially if this is your first hybrid project!

We'll be folding and gluing (I usually use a tape runner). From day 2:
Quote:
You see how there is a house shape on both the left and right sides of the page? Later when we print the halves of this double shape will fold together to make your mini book cover. By folding the page in half, we get pretty patterns on both sides of the paper without worrying about trying to align our paper to print on both sides. Plus it makes a much sturdier cover and allows us to do some fun things with the windows and door.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 AM
theStudio Picasso

I'll be off to the store for tape runner. And white card stock. And jump rings. But what size jump rings is best? Maybe I'll use my ribbon stock instead. Oh I see this lesson is where the creativity part comes in!!! I know from experience that photos do not print clear on card stock . thank you for the instructions for making place holders! I'll need to print out embellishments the right size too. I see I will be quite busy.
I am interested on how you ink the edges without getting ink where you don't want it!
PSE doesn't let me use the guide lines as you describe in the tutorial. I think I will make a png image with the lines & bring this in over my pages. Of course just eyeballing it works too.lolololol

Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 AM
theStudio Warhol

Tape runner??? What is that? Can I just use double-sided tape, or one of the glue-dot dispenser thingies? Craft supplies can be hard to come by here for me, so any "creative" (read: inexpensive substitute) ideas are appreciated!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joba2 View Post
I'll be off to the store for tape runner. And white card stock. And jump rings. But what size jump rings is best? Maybe I'll use my ribbon stock instead. Oh I see this lesson is where the creativity part comes in!!! I know from experience that photos do not print clear on card stock . thank you for the instructions for making place holders! I'll need to print out embellishments the right size too. I see I will be quite busy.
I am interested on how you ink the edges without getting ink where you don't want it!
PSE doesn't let me use the guide lines as you describe in the tutorial. I think I will make a png image with the lines & bring this in over my pages. Of course just eyeballing it works too.lolololol
I just posted binding options including info about jump rings Mine are just under 1.5inches. I love both ribbon & jump rings and often use these 2 binding methods.

Yes, you're EXACTLY right! We're really been mostly learning techniques to this point, but the farther you go the more and more opportunities you have to be creative. You can mix in unusual or recycled materials... the sky's the limit!

After we print I'll show you how I ink my edges to keep them pretty clean. I'm fond of both heavy and light inking. Mostly I just prefer my page edges not to be white

Excellent tip for making a png guide instead of using traditional guides and thanks for the PSE info! Your line tool will work just fine for creating custom guides wherever you need them. Just make sure to put them on a separate layer.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allergy_mom View Post
Tape runner??? What is that? Can I just use double-sided tape, or one of the glue-dot dispenser thingies? Craft supplies can be hard to come by here for me, so any "creative" (read: inexpensive substitute) ideas are appreciated!!!
A tape runner is one of those tiny glue-dot dispensers. You don't have to use a tape runner though! Mostly I just recommend you use a dry form of adhesive instead of wet like glue. This is simply because wet adhesive can cause your paper to buckle & warp.

Double sided scotch tape works great for stuff like this as well!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 AM
theStudio Warhol

Thank you! :-)
Old 08-25-2010, 05:13 PM
theStudio Picasso

I used Tickletimes suggestion & made alittle book of paper labeling the pages & what photos to go on each page etc. It really helped since I want to place actual photo's on the pages instead of doing it all digital! I printed out a couple of draft pages to make sure they fit. Thanks everyone for your suggestions .

Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 PM
theStudio Designer

thanks Angel for the clarifications....I can be thick sometimes so appreciate your easy going attitude!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeltown View Post

Ok I guess this would be a good reason to make them all alike.

My Blog
Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita_d View Post
thanks Angel for the clarifications....I can be thick sometimes so appreciate your easy going attitude!!
LOL you're not thick, hun! No worries at all. Every question helps me improve this and future classes!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stater View Post
Ok I guess this would be a good reason to make them all alike.
If you're planning to do most of the scrapping with physical supplies that's certainly an option!