Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Hybrid Classes > Hybrid 101

Hybrid 101 Introduction to Hybrid led by Angel Hartline Designs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2010, 06:50 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Arrow Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 7: Trim & Fold

We’ve come so far creating our mini books! Now we’re ready to start the assembly process. Today we’re going to get our pages all cut out and ready to embellish. Let’s start with scoring each page along the fold line. I like to score before I cut so I don’t have to worry about catching the paper edges.

I simply used a scoring tool and a straight to score along the fold line. I know it’s difficult to see in the photo, but I scored each page several times since I printed to photo paper which is more difficult to fold than cardstock. Don’t worry if it rubs away a bit of the color where you score. You’re going to fold there anyway.

My scored page ready to be cut out:

Now we’re ready to cut out all our little houses! I used a paper cutter to cut all the outside edges, then finished up along the inside roof line (and the chimney for the covers) with my small crafting scissors.

You’ll notice in my picture I made “smoke” front the heart stamp in the kit. I didn’t cut closely around that individually. It would be impossible to freehand around both sides and make it match, so I’m to freehand cut around it after the page is folded and glued.

I also cut along the right and top edges of my door. I’m going to put a peek a book photo in there when we work on embellishments. I just scored the door along the left edge so it will swing open to reveal the photo.

Now we’re ready to fold the pages in half and glue them together. I would recommend you use a dry adhesive like a tape runner or double-sided Scotch tape. Wet adhesives can cause buckling and warping. Also, if you printed to photo paper a permanent adhesive is better; it requires something a little stronger than repositionable adhesive to stay put for any length of time.

Simply apply adhesive along all the edges and carefully fold together. If you cut out your door, don’t apply adhesive to the door or too closely to the edges along the sides of the door.

Now use your scissors to trim any little white edges peeking out.

The next step is completely optional. I prefer my cut edges not to be so white, so I like to ink them. If you printed on photo paper, you need to use an ink that will dry properly on glossy surfaces. My very favorite ink pads for nearly any project are StazOn® Solvent Ink Pads. Today I’m using Timber Brown. (No I don't work there! I just love their product )

Simply drag the ink pad along the edge. If you prefer to not get much ink on your page, it might be easier to hold the ink page still in one hand, then drag the edge of your page along it keep it perpendicular to the ink. To get into the little edges where the big ink pad can’t easily reach, I use a cotton swab. First though I pull off nearly all the cotton. It just gets stringy and soaks up too much ink. So pull off most of the cotton from one end of a swab, get some ink on it from your pad, then rub on those hard to reach edges.

Here’s my completed cover page (inside shown):

1. Score & trim your printed covers & pages.
  2. Fold & glue all covers & pages.
  3. Trim any white edges peeking out.
  4. Optional: Use Ink pad or marker to touch up edges.

Tomorrow we’ll begin embellishing our pages!

PDF Printable of this Post: http://angelhartline.com/images/hybr... theStudio.pdf