Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Hybrid Classes > Hybrid 101

Hybrid 101 Introduction to Hybrid led by Angel Hartline Designs.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Arrow Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 10: Finish It Up

I like to throw in fun different textures and shapes into my mini books. For example, Iím adding a tree to my back cover. However, it will peek out and youíll able to see it from both the front & back like this:

In order to add in the tree without having to print 2 sided (I canít print 2 sided to my photo paper), I need to create a reverse very much like the house template. Hereís my printable tree page.

No need to worry that the text is reversed on the flipped copy. It wonít show because after I print and cut out the tree Iíll glue it to my back cover. On the flipped side only the parts that peek out around the front cover will show.

To create this page, I added my tree cluster to my file then duplicated the layer just like we already learned. Thatís not quite enough though; I need to flip it so that when itís folded in half the sides line up correctly. To flip (or mirror) a layer make sure youíve selected it in the layers palette, then:
  • (PS) Edit Menu --> Transform --> Flip Horizontal
  • (PSE) Image --> Rotate --> Flip Layer Horizontal

Then simply slide the flipped layer over next to the original. You need to make sure the two copies stay aligned so itís easiest to move them with the arrows on your keyboard instead of the move tool. If you do use the move tool you may need to select both tree layers and align them using the move tool options:

If youíve added in everything youíre ready to bind your book! Simply put the pages in order and bind them however you prefer!

One of the best things about hybrid is how easy it is to share the love! You can use the same template and scrapped pages to create multiple copies of a project for gifts. You might want to make the same or a similar project for each child or grand-child for example.

Likewise you can let your children make fun projects for their grandparents in the same way! What about printing out just the background house pages and letting your kids draw in the rooms of your house? You could even let them do this each year while theyíre little. Itís amazing the difference a year will make in their perspectives and artwork.

1. Punch or prepare your books for binding.
  2. Add in any extras.
  3. Bind your books!

Weíre completely finished!!!

I want to THANK YOU all for joining in and creating a hybrid project with me! Since this was the first class and a learning experience for all of us in different ways, I very much appreciate everyone's patience and feedback! All the support, comments & love for the project really mean SO MUCH!

We'll definitely be tackling more hybrid very soon! The holidays are coming up and I LOVE LOVE LOVE holiday projects and gifts!!!

PDF Printable of this Post: http://angelhartline.com/images/hybr... theStudio.pdf
Old 09-03-2010, 03:52 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default Re: Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 10: Finish It Up

Thank you! I will take pics to post and comment more when I have time; I need to go make leaflets for the funeral now...
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
theStudio Picasso

Thank you Angel for this inspiring class. I t was a good pace-easy to keep up or catch up! Your instuctions on sharing the love is exactly what attracted me to trying hybrid. I love the 2 school houses I made for those left over school pics of my kids. They FEEL good to handle.The second house was alott easier to make once I had a "handle" on how to do it. Now I am thinking of making other kinds of houses as gifts for my grandkids.lololol
My only wish is that others doing hybrid scrapping would post more in the hybrid forums to make this a more vibrant close friendly community here at DSS. And of course share their work in the gallery so we can all google & awe & get ideas & learn from each other.
PS: Is their a template for the tree available in the store?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joba2 View Post
Thank you Angel for this inspiring class. I t was a good pace-easy to keep up or catch up! Your instuctions on sharing the love is exactly what attracted me to trying hybrid. I love the 2 school houses I made for those left over school pics of my kids. They FEEL good to handle.The second house was alott easier to make once I had a "handle" on how to do it. Now I am thinking of making other kinds of houses as gifts for my grandkids.lololol
My only wish is that others doing hybrid scrapping would post more in the hybrid forums to make this a more vibrant close friendly community here at DSS. And of course share their work in the gallery so we can all google & awe & get ideas & learn from each other.
PS: Is their a template for the tree available in the store?
You're so very welcome, Joanne & I'm glad you all enjoyed the class. I completely understand what you mean about the projects FEELING good to handle. It's wonderful isn't it?!?

I *think* we'll all find the hybrid gallery and community growing here over the next few months. There will definitely be more classes and products especially over the holiday season and I believe some of the other designers will be participating, too. The great & powerful Toiny is so supportive of hybrid crafting so I bet we find more ways to enjoy it, too!

While there isn't an actual template of my tree available, you find this exactly sign/tree grouping in the Our House Clusters and the separate tree is included in the Our House Scrap Kit and both bundles.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
theStudio Designer

THANKS ANGEL for a great class and Im still working on my book!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 PM

You're so welcome, Anita! No worries at all - take your time! You're still welcome to post your finished project here anytime and I'll be peeking into the gallery to oooo and aahhh over them, too!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:53 PM
theStudio Scrapper

I made a racing start on this project but then sickness in the family stalled me. I will try and work on it soon and post when I get some results ready. Thanks so much for an easy-to-follow tut with lovely results.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 AM
theStudio Warhol

Oh, good - I'll be looking forward to seeing it!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMel View Post
I made a racing start on this project but then sickness in the family stalled me. I will try and work on it soon and post when I get some results ready. Thanks so much for an easy-to-follow tut with lovely results.
You're so welcome!!! I find larger projects are often interrupted by life but pop in anytime and show us your book!

Glad you like the class format! This first class was more about teaching the basics and getting everyone familiar with hybrid and we have more fun stuff planned.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:32 AM
theStudio Monet

sorry i'm so late. the book was part of a birthday gift, and i kept tweaking until the very end. no sooner than it had been put 'on display' and her mom taken a single quick photo, did the birthday girl quietly whisk it away 'safely' to her room (she didn't want everyone 'touching it all the time' ). she keeps 'forgetting' to bring it for me to take a few more shots.
anyway, this is the only photo for now. i'll edit it, if i get the chance, with more photos later on:
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...101-1&cat=1145

thanks again for this great class. the book was a giant hit. so now i'm making one for her baby sister (using the birthday bash hybrid project, 'cause it would be 'unthinkable' of me to do anything too similar for the both of them).