Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Newbie Frequently Asked Questions

Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Avatars, Signatures and Profile photos

It is possible to add a customized avatar, a signature and a photo of your choice to your profile. The steps to do that are as follows:

Avatars can be either uploaded to an image hosting website or to the Stone Accents Studio forum. In both cases the first steps to follow in order to have an avatar would be very similar. First you need to go to the User CP, it's located on the upper left corner in the Forum as you can see in the following screenshot.

Once we have accessed the User CP we will find a menu on column form on the left of our screen. The option we need to select in order to get an avatar is in the Settings and Options Menu> Edit Avatar where we will find a similar screen to the one above.

We can see in this screen whether we have or not an avatar. We are also given the options of either uploading an avatar from our computer or using an avatar we already have in an image storage website.

In the first case, uploading an avatar to the Forum, the steps to follow are the next ones:

1. Click on Use Custom Avatar

2. Go where it reads Option 2 upload image from your computer, click on the button that reads Browse, navigate to the folder in your computer where you have the image you wish to use, select it and click Open. The picture or animated gif you have chosen will be uploaded to the forum.

3. Click on the Save Changes at the bottom of your screen to save the changes made to your profile and to save the avatar you want to use in the Forum.

In the second case, the steps to follow are similar at the beginning:

1. Click on Use Custom Avatar as before

2. Go where it reads Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website and paste the URL of the picture you wish to use as avatar

3. Click on Save Changes at the bottom of your screen to save the changes made to your profile and to save the URL to the avatar you wish to use in the Forum.

In both cases a series of rules apply regarding avatars.

1. Avatars should be 80x80 pixels in size 72 dpi and with a maximum size of 20 kb. This avatar size will be enough in most of the cases whether you wish to use a custom avatar or an animated one of your choice(GIF animated ones).

2. The reason for limiting the size of the avatars is in order to facilitate the download of the pages. After a while we will all want to have avatars and signatures with blinkies, and whether they are uploaded or whether they are in an image storage website, they will increase the time a page needs to be downloaded. As not everyone has the fastest connection and some days, we all know, the fastest connection may work at snail pace, we try to limit the size of the avatars as well as the size of signatures and blinkies in the signatures, for the forum to be a place easy to navigate for everyone, any time.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:42 PM

Signatures

The forum has now enabled the option of having signatures, so people can have some quote they wish in their signature and blinkies of their favourite designers or any other theme they wish.

The rules that apply to signatures are the following:

1. Signatures should not contained more than 500 characters of text. That limit should be enough for most quotes, or any other text people generally use in their signatures. (500 characters of text will be roughly about two lines and a half of text)

2. The text in the signature admits the same type of formatting as your messages in the Forum, you can change the Font, use Bold text or underline part of it. You can also use any of the smilies available in the forum (just remember that they will count towards the image count). When formatting your text, please consider the way it will look when other people are reading the messages.

3. Signatures should not contained more than 4 images, that includes animated and non-animated blinkies (jpg, png and gif images).

4. The overall size of the images in your signature should not exceed 120Kb, that should be enough for 4 blinkies of 30kb in size. You do not necessarily need your blinkies to be 30Kb in size, just for them never to exceed the 120Kb in limit when your add the sizes.Please be aware that the more animation in the blinkie, the bigger the size of the file. In GIF images the size could increase notably in small blinkies if they have lots of animations in them, so don't be surprise if checking the size of your blinkie in your computer you find a very small image with a huge size compared to bigger ones without animation.

5. The overall size of the signature should not be bigger than 500x100 pixels. We understand overall size as the size of all the images and text in your signature. Please again consider how the size of your signature will look when others are reading the forum.

6. Finally these rules are open to feedback by members of the forum. Please do not hesitate in contact Administrators and give your suggestions in this as well as in any other issue. We are willing to hear any of your suggestions.

In order to have a signature in the Forum, we will have again to go to the User CP on the top left corner of the Forum screen.

1. Go to the Control Panel Menu> Edit Signature

2. You will get a similar screen to the one you use to send your messages in the Forum as the screen shot above.

3. Write and edit your quote or the text you wish to appear in your signature. If you add smilies to your signature, remember they count each of them as an image and they will go towards the count of 4 images per signature.

4a. Once you have typed your text, go the lower part of that same screen. You will see something similar to the Edit Avatar Menu, and get the option of either uploading your images to the Forum or pasting the URL to the image you wish to have in your signature. The first option has not been enabled but the second one has. You need to paste the link to the image you wish in your signature in the Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website.

4b. An alternative to this method and in order to have up to 4 images or blinkies per signature would be to add the images to the message box above, where we had typed our text. This will allow us to have more control over the place the photos will appear (left, right or center using the alignment controls). You only need to copy and paste the URL of your image as if it was a normal message. Just click in the icon highlighted below and paste the code to the image.

5. At the bottom of your screen you will see two buttons with Save Signature and Preview Signature. Just click on Preview Signature to see whether your signature appears as you wish it to be. When you like the result, click in Save Signature and it will be saved and will appear in all the messages you post in the Forum.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 PM

A Picture in your profile

The rules regarding Pictures in our Profile are that images should not be bigger than 100x100 pixels and 64 kb in size.

Again as in the previous two occasions, to have a picture in our profile we will need to go the User CP located on the top left corner of the screen.

Once there we need to go to Control Panel Menu> Settings and Options> Edit Profile Picture.

We will get a screen as the following one, very similar to the one we got when we changed our avatar.

We have two options:

1. To upload the photo of our choice to the Forum, in which case we should go to the second one ("Option 2 - Upload Image From Your Computer") in the screen and click in the button Browse. A new window will appear and we need to navigate to the folder where our picture is. Once our picture has been selected, we click in Open to upload it to the Forum and we click in the button Save Changes to save our profile picture.

2. The second option is to copy and paste the code of a picture we have in an image hosting website. In this case we should go to the option that reads "Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website", and paste the URL to the picture we wish to have in our profile. As before we click in the button Save Changes for the Forum to save that data.

And this is all we need to do to have a picture of ourselves in our profile.

Tomorrow information about Image hosting websites and File Storage websites.

Any questions, suggestions, feed-back, etc, about this issue can be posted in this thread. I hope this information is of help
Old 08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
SAS-y Diamond

This is AWESOME Olga, thank you so much!!! I like to be all decked out. I can't seem to get my avatar up, but I'll keep trying.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:06 AM
SAS-y Diamond

Well it said upload failed, but there it is.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Well, I have just spent an hour trying to get a blinky in my siggy, No luck I will try again when I am not frustrated! LOL

Old 08-14-2007, 04:44 PM
SAS-y Pearl

Thank you for all this info. It's nice to have it all in one place in case anyone has questions.

My blog:

My SAS Gallery
Old 08-14-2007, 09:23 PM
theStudio Artist

Here is a site for creating your own avatar. That's where I did mine. In fact,
I did four - one for each season!

http://illustmaker.abi-station.com/index_en.shtml
Old 08-18-2007, 07:17 AM
SAS-y Diamond

Default Blinkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by olga9999 View Post
Signatures

The forum has now enabled the option of having signatures, so people can have some quote they wish in their signature and blinkies of their favourite designers or any other theme they wish.

The rules that apply to signatures are the following:

1. Signatures should not contained more than 500 characters of text. That limit should be enough for most quotes, or any other text people generally use in their signatures. (500 characters of text will be roughly about two lines and a half of text)

2. The text in the signature admits the same type of formatting as your messages in the Forum, you can change the Font, use Bold text or underline part of it. You can also use any of the smilies available in the forum (just remember that they will count towards the image count). When formatting your text, please consider the way it will look when other people are reading the messages.

3. Signatures should not contained more than 4 images, that includes animated and non-animated blinkies (jpg, png and gif images).

4. The overall size of the images in your signature should not exceed 120Kb, that should be enough for 4 blinkies of 30kb in size. You do not necessarily need your blinkies to be 30Kb in size, just for them never to exceed the 120Kb in limit when your add the sizes.Please be aware that the more animation in the blinkie, the bigger the size of the file. In GIF images the size could increase notably in small blinkies if they have lots of animations in them, so don't be surprise if checking the size of your blinkie in your computer you find a very small image with a huge size compared to bigger ones without animation.

5. The overall size of the signature should not be bigger than 500x100 pixels. We understand overall size as the size of all the images and text in your signature. Please again consider how the size of your signature will look when others are reading the forum.

6. Finally these rules are open to feedback by members of the forum. Please do not hesitate in contact Administrators and give your suggestions in this as well as in any other issue. We are willing to hear any of your suggestions.

In order to have a signature in the Forum, we will have again to go to the User CP on the top left corner of the Forum screen.

1. Go to the Control Panel Menu> Edit Signature

2. You will get a similar screen to the one you use to send your messages in the Forum as the screen shot above.

3. Write and edit your quote or the text you wish to appear in your signature. If you add smilies to your signature, remember they count each of them as an image and they will go towards the count of 4 images per signature.

4a. Once you have typed your text, go the lower part of that same screen. You will see something similar to the Edit Avatar Menu, and get the option of either uploading your images to the Forum or pasting the URL to the image you wish to have in your signature. The first option has not been enabled but the second one has. You need to paste the link to the image you wish in your signature in the Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website.

4b. An alternative to this method and in order to have up to 4 images or blinkies per signature would be to add the images to the message box above, where we had typed our text. This will allow us to have more control over the place the photos will appear (left, right or center using the alignment controls). You only need to copy and paste the URL of your image as if it was a normal message. Just click in the icon highlighted below and paste the code to the image.

5. At the bottom of your screen you will see two buttons with Save Signature and Preview Signature. Just click on Preview Signature to see whether your signature appears as you wish it to be. When you like the result, click in Save Signature and it will be saved and will appear in all the messages you post in the Forum.

Am I correct in assuming then that I can not upload a blinkie from my computer, only from a file sharing site?

Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
SAS-y Gem

Thanks for the info Olga!!
Old 09-16-2007, 03:17 PM
SAS-y Diamond

Olga, I am having difficulty with getting a blinkie to "show up" in my siggie. All that shows up is the link. What am I doing wrong?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 AM
SAS-y Diamond

I have followed the instructions but still can not get my blinkie to work! Can you help me?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
SAS-y Pearl

I can attempt to help you. I uploaded my blinkie to Photobucket. Then I took the html direct link code there and went up to User CP at the top. I clicked on edit signature and then I clicked on the yellow button in the text window that looks like a mountain with a sun. I added the link there and the signature showed up. Let me know if this works for you. If not, one of the better website gurus may have to attempt to rectify the problem.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:13 PM
SAS-y Diamond

Thank you for your response. That is exactly what I have done, but to no avail. I am usually not this clueless! LOL! Could it be that I do not have permission?

Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
SAS-y Diamond

WooHOO! I finally figured it out! I switched from mediafire to Photobucket but it still didn't work. I then realized that it was putting two img brackets at the same time. I deleted one and it worked! Thanks for your help

Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
SAS-y Diamond

Someone recently asked some questions about Signatures and blinkies so I'm bringing this thread up again.

Janalyn's Place Blog