Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Tutorials

theStudio Tutorials September 2010: A brandnew forum for tutorials. There will be a weekly new tutorial from theStudio Design Team but you are welcome to post your own.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:24 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Default Overlapping Text & Burned edges

** this tutorial brought to you by Scrappy Cocoa **

(previously used for the April10 Decorate Your Wordart Challenge)

Here is an example of the WA technique that I am going to show you today.

1. First pick your 2 fonts. I usually like to make the back font a thick blocky type and the front font a thin cursive type. I Clip a paper to both fonts. Make sure it is the same paper.
2. layer the words so the smaller word is on top. Stroke that smaller font so you can see the outline on top of the bigger word.
3. Make the stroke a separate layer. In PS you right click and then click make layer.
4. To make it look like the smaller font is cutting out of the bigger font, clip a paper to the stroke of the smaller font. {like you were using a template} In most cases it is the background paper. Make sense?

Now to make the bigger word appear "puffy" ~
1. Select the bigger word so that it has marching ants around it. In PS if you hold control or command while clicking the thumbnail it will select it.
2. Inverse the selection.
3. Modify the selection. Do this by going to select/modify then choose expand. Set the pixels to whatever you want. I usually do between 10-15 for chunkier fonts.
4. Feather the selection. Do this be going to select/modify/ feather. I usually set the pixels for the same amount as I did the expand.
5. You now have marching ants inside your letters. Use the burn tool {in PS shortcut O. It is the little tool that looks like a stick with a circle on the end} to darken around the edges.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 AM
theStudio Monet

Default Re: Overlapping Text & Burned edges

great tutorial. i'll definitely try it. really like the 'puffy' text tip.