Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Challenges > Archived Monthly Challenges 2011 > Heritage Challenge: Point in Time

Heritage Challenge: Point in Time Hosted by Pauli. Don't forget to post your LO's in the Point in Time Gallery.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
theStudio Warhol

Default January challenge

Happy New Year everybody!!

Are you recovered yet from the holidays? I'm having a hard time. Not because we've had company (because we didn't), but because I love Christmas time. I'm dreading having to take down the tree. It always makes the livingroom look like something is missing......
But.... You didn't come by to hear me moan! LOL

This month, we're going back to POINTS in time!
The subject will be World War II.
How did your family deal with the War that was raging all over the world? It seemed nobody was exempt. Wether your ancestors "went over there" to help, supported the war-effort at home or were living it.... everybody was effected in a way. Some places it started earlier than others, and others were out of it earlier than some. It doesn't matter which year you pick if any, as long as it is related. I know, that I could make 2 pages, maybe 3 to cover it. My family lived in Holland, Mikes dad was in the Navy, and the man that raised him was in the Army Aircorp..... I'll have to mull on that a bit, I think LOL.

I'm curious what you come up with. It should turn out to be a global education, with all the different views! Can't wait!

Hugs,
Pauli

PS: I don't thinks it's necesary, but I'd rather not take a chance, so THERE IS ONE RULE!!!! AND I AM VERY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS!!! It doesn't matter which "side" you cover. It's HISTORY, and water under the bridge and as family memory keepers, we have to include it, so get those events on paper ...... HOWEVER!!
NO mudslinging, accusations or hatefulness, OF ANY KIND! Just the facts! If you express an opinion, please be civil. Please realize this happened not too far in the past, so please consider peoples feelings!!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default Re: January challenge

Here's the page I made for Mike's dad. We don't have any stories, so I had to stick with what we found out from his service records. Since he was a machinist, I thought the steampunk look would be good.

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...time-c&cat=500
Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
theStudio Picasso

Nice job, Pauli.

Stand for something.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:25 AM
theStudio Artist

Thanks so much for this particular challenge. It was this point in time and the lovely kit from Shelly Marie Scraps, Life Story, that prompted me to do a page I have wanted to do for a long time. My layout is posted in the gallery here:

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...-1945&cat=1094

Thanks for looking.

I am as old as I need to be for my age,
As heavy as I need to be for my weight,
As tall as I need to be for my height,
And wherever I go...there I am.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 AM
theStudio Warhol

Thank you so much for sharing! It is a wonderful page.
I'm sure that behind this news story, there is a whole world of others you've heard thru the years!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:58 PM
theStudio Picasso

Here's mine.I had to restore the photo but it is only one I have of my Uncle in his WW2 uniform.
Uncle Emil WW2

Old 01-15-2011, 12:35 PM
theStudio Warhol

thanks for sharing Joba :-) It's a very nice tribute to your uncle, and just HAVING a picture is great... as a family historian, we'll take any kind of image we can, so we can put a face with a name. It's not a photo-contest, so any image will do just nicely. :-)
I left some information in your gallery also. But I'll repeat here, just in case more people have intrest.

Some states, have veteran grave registrations. I found some really neat information for Mikes dads (natural and step), that way, (including stepsisters' names and mothers' maiden name) but nothing like that was on his natural dads paper, so it all depends on what is known to the person filling out the forms (or what they are willing to share) BUT, it will give the unit and whether the veteran served in war/conflict (which one) or peace-time, what branch of the service and his service number.
When going to the NARA site for military records, it will ask for basic information, but the more you fill in, the more places they can look when the records aren't in the right place (Mikes step dads records were lost in the 1973 fire, but we got his unit number from the grave registration, so we can track a little bit of what he did and where he was during his service time)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 AM
theStudio Warhol

Hi everybody!

Since this challenge covers WW-II, I want to share a great new site. It was started September 2010, but I didn't hear about it untill last Monday.

http://www.sonsanddaughtersofww2veterans.org/index.asp

The site is for descendants of WW-II veterans. It's still being built, so the information is limited, but.... if everybody contributes, it's going to be great!!! It's the same premise as the DAR and SAR.
Go take a look, and tell me what you think. If you don't want to see things like that here, just let me know, but I figured if you're scrapping your family history, you have to be interested in "extra stuff" LOL
Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 PM
theStudio Picasso

Thanks for all the info. I think it is great you are sharing all this. I've checked out the sites!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default Re: January challenge-Point in Time

Pauli,
Here is my LO for the Heritage Challenge: Point in Time. This is to Honor my father-in-law whom I love dearly and always called him Dad, he replaced my own father who left when I was about 6 months old.
Hugs,
Marilyn Nay

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...orial&cat=1094
Old 01-31-2011, 05:58 PM
theStudio Picasso

Finally finished mine.

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...y-dad&cat=1094

Stand for something.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
theStudio Warhol

Marilyn, A very nice tribute to what seems to be a very special person. Thanks for sharing his story! (and the book title! I'm going to check on that.)

Barb, what an interesting thing to add to the family tree.

I'm closing this thread and start one for February.

Thanks to all of you for sharing, and I hope to "see" you in the next thread!!