Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > Household & Family Tips n Tricks

Household & Family Tips n Tricks What's going on in your life? Got some tips and tricks that you have learned along the way that make life run a little smoother? Are you looking for tips and tricks to help you along the way? Post those tips and tricks here or request help with a burning issue in your life.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
theStudio Designer

Location: I live in a sweet small seaside town called Southport in the uk.
Default Re: Share Your Favorite Fudge Recipe

lol...... they call me the Micro Queen here, Ping is my middle name bwahahaha

Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
theStudio Party Girl

ROFLMBO! Ping! It's time for dinner!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... but that reminds me that I have a Microwave recipe for fudge, too!! And one you can do in the crockpot! LOL!! Anything but the stove.... keep away from the stove.... things tend to catch on fire around the stove......

But, actually, you can catch things on fire in the microwave, too! Just ask my potatoes!!

I'm seriously searching for my recipes... but, um, they kind of haven't seen the light of day in many years so it might take me a bit to whittle away the dirt & dust on them!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 AM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo.6204 View Post
I've always wanted to make fudge but I only like the plain old vanilla style. Does anyone have a recipe for that??
My favorite recipe is the one on the back of the Marshmallow Creme jars. It uses chocolate chips, but you can vary the flavor just by changing the flavor of chips. I like to use mint chocolate chips and butterschotch chips, which gives you mint fudge and butterscotch fudge. You could do the same thing with vanilla. Just use the white chocolate chips, which aren't chocolate at all. In fact, I think Hershey labels them as vanilla chips.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Chit Cat

I use the recipe on the marshmellow fluff jar too. But, here is what we do that makes it kind of special. First, I use butter not margarine, it makes a huge difference. Second, when the fudge is done, but still hot in the pan, we take tablespoons and plop out discs of fudge. (Cover a table with foil and after you make the discs let it set up until fully set.) It makes it like little cookies. We make this a family thing a week or so before Christmas. My kids are grown and still come home for fudge day. This year will be very sad if Tanner (grandson now in Air Force basic training) can't come. Still, everyone just loves these. They keep asking me for the recipe and I tell them it is a secret that I will pass on before I go. Hee Hee. I don't have the nerve to tell them it is the fluff recipe. I have used vanilla chips in it and if you use really good ones it is so very good. I have also used milk chocolate and butterscotch.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:24 PM
theStudio Artist

This is probably the easiest recipe for fudge and you can make it all sorts of ways. Everyone that tastes it will think that you made regular old-fashioned fudge!

Kayre's EZ Nuked Fudge
1 bag of chocolate chips
1 can of good frosting (not a store brand)
1 cap of vanilla

Spray pan (8x8 works well) with non-stick spray.

In a microwave safe bowl, nuke the chocolate chips for 90 seconds. Stir.

Empty entire can of frosting in bowl and nuke for 90 seconds. Stir. Add vanilla. Stir well.

Pour into prepared pan. Let sit on counter until it hardens.

My favorite combination is peanut butter chips with white frosting. I have also tried (and liked) white chips with strawberry frosting, cinnamon chips with white frosting, dark chocolate chips with chocolate fudge frosting, milk chocolate chips with chocolate frosting, and peanut butter chips with chocolate frosting.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:58 AM
theStudio CT

So I have no marshmallow fluff, no peanut butter, not even marshmallows. SO fudge is just not right here....We do however have Brigadeiro.

“Brigadeiro” is a typical Brazilian sweet, which is served at every Brazilian birthday party. People love “brigadeiro” and I am sure you will love it too if you haven’t tried it yet.

This is probably the easiest to make too.

I pulled this recipie off of Allrecipies.com

3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon butter
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cocoa, butter and condensed milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest until cool enough to handle. Form into small balls and eat at once or chill until serving.

Here are some tips from a Brazillian living in the US. Really helpful to get the right taste

I am from Brazil, but I am currently living in the US. I can give some tips about making a brigadeiro:
1. Condensed milk in the US is a litlle different from the Brazilian version. It is not so sweet as the Brazilian, therefore I would recommend using a chocolate powder like Nesquick.
2. Cook the mixture until it thickens enough to show the pan bottom during stirring.
3. Pour the mixture in a lightly greased dish and let it cool to room temperature.
4. Now you are ready to form the little balls, remember to grease your hands with margarine first!
5. Roll it over sprinkles
6. Place the balls in candy cups (small size)and voilla! Enjoy it!
Old 09-05-2011, 01:37 AM
theStudio CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto7 View Post
So I have no marshmallow fluff, no peanut butter, not even marshmallows. SO fudge is just not right here....We do however have Brigadeiro.

“Brigadeiro” is a typical Brazilian sweet, which is served at every Brazilian birthday party. People love “brigadeiro” and I am sure you will love it too if you haven’t tried it yet.

This is probably the easiest to make too.

I pulled this recipie off of Allrecipies.com

3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon butter
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cocoa, butter and condensed milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest until cool enough to handle. Form into small balls and eat at once or chill until serving.

Here are some tips from a Brazillian living in the US. Really helpful to get the right taste

I am from Brazil, but I am currently living in the US. I can give some tips about making a brigadeiro:
1. Condensed milk in the US is a litlle different from the Brazilian version. It is not so sweet as the Brazilian, therefore I would recommend using a chocolate powder like Nesquick.
2. Cook the mixture until it thickens enough to show the pan bottom during stirring.
3. Pour the mixture in a lightly greased dish and let it cool to room temperature.
4. Now you are ready to form the little balls, remember to grease your hands with margarine first!
5. Roll it over sprinkles
6. Place the balls in candy cups (small size)and voilla! Enjoy it!

okay - go check out this month's recipe challenge and join the fun....

http://atimeforscraps.blogspot.com/
Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
theStudio CT

OMGosh Barb you are so right. This is pefect for this months challenge. I just may have to play along this time. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM
theStudio Monet

See some super fudge recipes here. This is mine, had posted it for Maurine's Dec. 10 recipe challenge. I use a 15 x 10 inch pan or approx. that size. It makes 5 pound of fudge and is yummy. My family does not like nuts in their fudge; however, they can be added to this recipe if you want. Or split it and make 1/2 with and 1/2 without.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM
theStudio Artist

Boo, I'm with you. No peanut butter and never marshmallow creme (what is that stuff, anyway? LOL!) for me. I tried a recipe using chocolate chips and canned milk, and it only stayed set if I kept it in the refrigerator, and I didn't like it at all. Good fudge should be set at room temperature so that you get the full intensity of flavor, undulled by cold temperatures. I always made what my mother did; Hershey's most requested recipe. I copied the recipe and instructions from their website ages ago, and I'm happy to share it here. It is a challenge, but so, so worth it. I recommend making it often so you can become an expert at it like my mom was. She never looked at the recipe or used a measuring cup; she just made it perfectly every time from memory. No, I can't replicate that! She also used her electric mixer, with the fudge sitting in the cooking pot in the sink full of cold water, rather than stirring it with a wooden spoon. Neither she or I owned a wooden spoon! I add chopped pecans because I love it that way. Mom simply poured hers onto a large platter rather than putting it in a pan, and we could eat it while still slightly warm. Sometimes I do that, too. If you underbeat it and it doesn't set up, it is the world's best ice cream topping.

Hershey's Rich Cocoa Fudge

3 cups sugar
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:1. Line 8-or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil.

2. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in heavy 4-quart saucepan; stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full rolling boil. Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 234°F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water, forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.)

3. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room temperature to 110°F (lukewarm). Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss. Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool completely. Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature. About 36 pieces or 1-3/4 pounds.

NOTE: For best results, do not double this recipe. This is one of our most requested recipes, but also one of our most difficult. The directions must be followed exactly. Beat too little and the fudge is too soft. Beat too long and it becomes hard and sugary.

Last edited by GoodGram; 07-25-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: addition to text
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM
theStudio Picasso

I know it is past the holidays, but I thought I would share a yummy fudge recipe that I made over Christmas.

Mint Fudge
2 pkg. milk and/or dark chocolate chips
1-12 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
peppermint extract

Melt chips in a DBL boiler, add the sweetened condensed milk and stir until blended. Add 1 tsp. peppermint extract and stir until blended. Pour melted chocolate into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Let cool. Cover and keep in refrigerator.