Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Tutorials

theStudio Tutorials September 2010: A brandnew forum for tutorials. There will be a weekly new tutorial from theStudio Design Team but you are welcome to post your own.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 PM
theStudio Artist

Arrow Saving Patterns to Share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambowife Designs View Post
Hmm I think the alt key is the options key when it comes to mac
That is correct. (?) I do not understand why I should delete all that I do not want in the patterns folder to be dished out? Isn't there a special way just to save the one pattern that I want appropriately?

Collecter of: Carin Grobey Designs & Snicker Doodle Designs & Lyn Griffin Designs & Aimee Harrison Designs!!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM
theStudio Artist

Arrow Re: Create a Simple Seamless Pattern in PS

How then do I get it all back: my personal patterns that I've deleted?

Collecter of: Carin Grobey Designs & Snicker Doodle Designs & Lyn Griffin Designs & Aimee Harrison Designs!!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Default Re: Create a Simple Seamless Pattern in PS

Cyndi - the only way I know of to save a single pattern into a .pat file is the way Tracy has explained. Otherwise, once you click on "Save Set" it will save all the patterns you see into one .pat file...

Every time you make your own patterns, you should save them into a .pat file, or pattern fill a 12X12 canvas & save that.

If you've deleted pattern files that have not yet been saved, I don't think there is a way to get them back...
Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkatt View Post
Cyndi - the only way I know of to save a single pattern into a .pat file is the way Tracy has explained. Otherwise, once you click on "Save Set" it will save all the patterns you see into one .pat file...

Every time you make your own patterns, you should save them into a .pat file, or pattern fill a 12X12 canvas & save that.

If you've deleted pattern files that have not yet been saved, I don't think there is a way to get them back...
I'm not sure you get what I mean. I've saved them all, however if I delete them they are gone, forever: Make sense? Unless there is a way to access each one of them.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Ahh, gotcha! Sorry, slow brain over here!

If they've already been saved, then you just need to load them back in through the preset manager>Patterns>Load, then navigate to where you saved them and open.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkatt View Post
Ahh, gotcha! Sorry, slow brain over here!

If they've already been saved, then you just need to load them back in through the preset manager>Patterns>Load, then navigate to where you saved them and open.
I'm glads your catching my drift now.

BTW: Sounds good, however I just created these patterns & saved them the way it is described to do so in this lesson. So, where in the program would I find them?

Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 PM
theStudio Artist

Arrow Saving Patterns in a .pat Extention

I went into:

Applications > Abobe Photoshop CS5 > Patterns. I defined my pattern & that is the way is saves(?) @ least in the program. I noticed that inside the patterns file the extentions are .pat

All the ones that I've loaded from other sites are there. However the ones that I personally saved via Defining the patterns are not there. In my Adobe Photoshop CS5 I have no option of saving it to an extention of .pat

Unless there is a way to program it to do it?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Okay, now we're getting somewhere lol

Select All>Define Pattern places your pattern into the preset manager, BUT! it does NOT save them. It will appear in your patterns menu by default until you open another .pat file, which then overwrites your pattern... when this happens, you get that prompt to save your patterns.

The only way to make sure that you always have your patterns is to SAVE them into a .pat file. So:

1. Create your seamless pattern
2. Select All>Define Pattern (this places it into the preset manager but does NOT save the pattern, it can be overwritten & lost forever!)
3. Go to Edit>Preset Manager>Patterns and click the "Save Set" option to save all the patterns into one .pat file.

Now, if you go through and delete patterns accidentally, you should be able to go back to Edit>Preset Manager>Patterns and click on the "Load" button to find the .pat file you just saved w/ all of your patterns.

Once you do this, THEN you can go ahead and follow Tracy's instructions to save just that one pattern into a .pat file for sharing purposes.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
theStudio Designer

Another thing you can do Cyndi is when you create the pattern, save the file as a normal png or jpg file (depending on if it has transparent areas or not) and that way if you do lose your .pat files you still have the original image you created the pattern from.
Most of the designers will do this with their glitters etc once they have made them seamless and saved the pattern they also save the sheet for themselves and for sharing with customers who don't have the same program as the do.

I hope I didn't just lose all your personally designed patterns with my tutorial. I think I'll retire if I did (arrrrgh) or at least keep my mouth shut and not post tutorials
big hugs
Tracy

Thanks Kimmie for replying hun, I was sleeping and have just got up on my Monday

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason

Old 04-10-2011, 05:16 PM
theStudio Designer

Kim I've added your preset saving steps to the original tutorial along with how to share your patterns file. thanks again hun

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Another thing you can do Cyndi is when you create the pattern, save the file as a normal png or jpg file (depending on if it has transparent areas or not) and that way if you do lose your .pat files you still have the original image you created the pattern from.
Most of the designers will do this with their glitters etc once they have made them seamless and saved the pattern they also save the sheet for themselves and for sharing with customers who don't have the same program as the do.

I hope I didn't just lose all your personally designed patterns with my tutorial. I think I'll retire if I did (arrrrgh) or at least keep my mouth shut and not post tutorials
big hugs
Tracy

Thanks Kimmie for replying hun, I was sleeping and have just got up on my Monday
Thanks for both UR help in this matter.

I couldn't save each pattern with a .pat extention file, so I saved each pattern that I've created, 1 @ a time @ about 20 images.

Now I will be able to follow UR directions, & not loose all the patterns that I've created. However, I'm taking a break/breather away from my CS5 for now.

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
theStudio Designer

OH Phew well I am glad you still have them hun!!

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
OH Phew well I am glad you still have them hun!!

Yes: Me too, as I had to figure out how I could keep them, after all I put hard work into them. I couldn't loose them, just to save one for a special give away. It is a Word-Art-Pattern that I have in mind of giving away, besides a Q.P. made with the Word-Art-Pattern.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 PM
theStudio Warhol

i have been looking for this tutorial for so long. thank you sooooooo much for this. wanna give you a big big hug!!HAHA. i better write it down first. thanks again