Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Events > Archived Events 2011 > Capture the Moment

Capture the Moment We are kicking this off Memorial Day!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 AM
theStudio Picasso

Default Indirectly Related to the Contest

Several people commented on my week 1 LO that they wanted to read more of my grandfather's war stories. Last night (really it was this morning) I finished two more pages using the lovely Time Stands Still collab by Digilicious Designs and Darlene Haughin and I've uploaded them to the gallery for anyone who's interested. In these two pages the war in Europe ends, a dishonest Lieutenant Colonel tries to get my grandfather sent to Japan instead of a buddy of his, and he's rescued by orders from General Patton's office.

There's still an hour left of video on the DVD, but I can't quite remember what's to come. I think he finally starts to warm to his subject and tells more anecdotal stories to flesh out his experiences.

Click on the thumbnails to see the LO in the gallery if you're interested:
Old 06-16-2011, 03:36 PM
theStudio Owner

Default Re: Indirectly Related to the Contest

Lori, I cannot believe how incredibly awesome there are. What a blessing to have these memories from your grandfather. I love, love, love the LO's you've done. I love the memories you've documented.

FYI, we just had Patton's grandsons here last friday. Their mother was guest of honor at the army ball, and the boys are 11 & 14. They fit in perfect with my boys and they all had a ball! What an honor to have them with us, what great young men they are.

Smooches,

Toiny

my email
Old 06-17-2011, 12:23 AM
theStudio Picasso

Fantastic treasure you have in these stories, Lori! I so wish I knew more about my grandfather, and his time in WWI, but he died when I was 3, so that just wasn't possible. It's so great that you're making these layouts so that the rest of the family can share in the heritage of these memories and know him by his experiences. Just wonderful!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 PM
theStudio Picasso

Toiny how amazing to have met Patton's grandsons. I don't believe my grandfather mentions meeting Patton, but he obviously spent a lot of time with Eisenhower.

Growing up my grandfather never talked about his war experience. He received medals from the five major battles of the European conflict. My uncle has them now and I want to get a photograph of them for one of the LOs. But he always said, "we were just doing what we needed to do" when someone would call them heroes. It was only in the past few year that he started to open up and thank God my sister thought to get it all on video while we could.

They're such simple layouts since the text makes up most of them, yet each one has an emotional toll. As I'm listening and typing I'm laughing and crying then laughing again. In some ways I think it's too soon to be doing this and in others I want to do it while I feel driven to get it done. My goal is to give my grandmother a completed book for Christmas. I'd wanted Mother's Day of this year, but that was too ambitious.

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I love sharing my grandfather's experiences with people who appreciate it. Thank you for reading them.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:42 AM
theStudio Owner

Lori, it's not just me, it's also Dave and Christian (my WWIII buff) who are loving them. I read them out loud and it's like hearing the narrator on Band of Brothers, it takes you back to another time, another place. I'm truly touched by his stories. You are doing an amazing job memorializing them. Just wow.

Smooches,

T

my email
Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 PM
theStudio Picasso

Hey, Toiny if you notice any typos or anything while you're reading them, please feel free to let me know. I have a few corrections I've noted on printed copies of the LOs that I need to make before the book gets printed, but you may see something I missed too.

Tell Dave and Christian I have another hour worth of video, so I'm sure there at least a few more LOs coming.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 AM
theStudio Monet

I love doing these kinds of projects for others and for myself. I find it very therapeutic and uplifting. I love family history.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 AM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplaid3 View Post
I love doing these kinds of projects for others and for myself. I find it very therapeutic and uplifting. I love family history.
I agree!

And Lori, these are fabulous! Thanks for sharing them, I'm sure your book will be truly cherished.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM
theStudio Picasso

Rose, you're the one who inspired me to start doing heritage scrapping. You always created such fantastic LOs when you were on the SAS-y CT. I'd put them in the newsletter and think, "one of these days I'll have time to do this."
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
theStudio Owner

Lori, I'm going to take some time and read through them carefully for you. I'm honored you asked.

Smooches,

T

my email
Old 06-20-2011, 09:08 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori11941 View Post
Rose, you're the one who inspired me to start doing heritage scrapping. You always created such fantastic LOs when you were on the SAS-y CT. I'd put them in the newsletter and think, "one of these days I'll have time to do this."
Wow Lori! I had no idea! I'm so very touched and happy to learn that I've been able to inspire someone to be creative. Thank you so much to telling me.