Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Newbie Frequently Asked Questions

Old 11-03-2007, 04:37 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Default Looking for a new printer!

I want to start printing my own layouts- What is the best type of printer to get?
*I scrap 4x6 and 8x8 pages.*
Old 11-03-2007, 10:47 PM
theStudio Warhol

I guess it really depends on how much of a budget you have for a printer. I would say one that has a photo setting would be best for printing your layouts.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:46 PM
theStudio Picasso

When I bought my printer I checked out several techy sites ,PCWord and all kinds of sites on how to buy a printer etc. In the end I don't know if this was really all that helpful. I learned alot. But probaby the best is to just go to where you buy and see for yourself photos printed out.The reason I say this is because I see printed photos from friends on all kinds of PHOTO printers and they are all pretty good.Just stick to a good brand name like Canon,HP,or Epson.HP has a wonderful site with all kinds of hints,activities etc to use with your printer.
If the printer is too cheap you can guess they plan to get you on ink cartridges!
I bought an all-in-one printer cause I also needed a scanner.I love it .

Old 11-04-2007, 12:02 AM
theStudio Artist

Is it best when printing your own layouts onto scrapbook size paper to print on matt paper? Just that I think glossy would stand out too much on some things.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 AM
theStudio Picasso

I've always printed on glossy but I think it's a matter of personal preference.

And as for printers, I'm a die-hard Epson fan. I currently use a wide format 1280 and an all in one RX700 that also prints on CDs. I love them both.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 PM
SAS-y Gem

I also have an Epson, and am happy w/ it. It came highly recommended by a professional photographer we know.
Does anyone have suggestion on printing 12x12 LOs??? My printer won't accommodate that size. Do you have to just order them?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:11 PM
theStudio Picasso

I've never done 12 x 12 commercially, but Others have found Costco to be a good and inexpensive source.

What I've done is go to the 8 x 8 scrapbooks so I can utilize all of the square materials and still print on a regular printer.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:56 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Thanks for the replies! I'm asking Santa for a printer and a laptop!
I have an EPSON C88, I've printed a handful of CD labels and they look alright, but I want something with a little more to give. I'll heck out the newer EPSONs.
Thanks again!
Mandy
Old 11-09-2007, 09:34 AM
SAS-y Gem

As a professional photographer, I use Epson. I trust their materials to last, and have always gotten great results. Also, Staples brand ink cartridges have proven to be great, less expensive options. I bought my current printer at Sam's, got a great deal, and love it. It is probably higher scale than you need, Since I use it for work, but all Epson products have worked well for me.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
SAS-y Gem

Mine's and Epson Stylus Photo R300. It also prints on printable CDs and DVDs. I've heard that the CD labels, when they get hot, can melt the glue on the back, and as it spins in a player, sling particles of glue inside the machine. Just an FYI.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:33 AM
SAS-y Scrapper

I am new to this site and I was wondering if Costco prints 12x12 layouts or 8 1/2 x 11 layouts? My girlfriend gets hers done at Sams but they only print 8 x 10. Please let me know...Thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 07:19 PM
SAS-y Diamond

I've heard they do hon but have no idea of the price. Like Sharpi above, I've come to print 8x8 to save time and money.

By the way, back to the original question of a good printer to have. I have an HP all in one printer, model #2175. It prints, scans, copies AND can be used as a fax. If memory serves we got it at Sam's Club for around $100 and it works like a charm, I just love it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
theStudio Monet

I have a friend who gets 12x12" prints at Costco and I believe she said the cost is $2.99.

May I recommend a service off the web? Check out sbtoshare.com. It's a family-owned business that I've used several times in the past when I have large orders and I've been really pleased with the result. They offer a choice of three "finishes" and papers, and if memory serves you can ask them for a sample - don't quote me on that because it was a long time ago when I got a sample and you need to check their site to see if they still offer that.

Depending on the "finish" and paper you choose, it's cheaper than Costco, and there's a flat $6.00 shipping fee so I wait until I have a large order. I use the middle-of-the-road selection, which is a nice glossy finish but not quite as thick as cardstock. That's fine for me because it goes into an album anyhow.

If I'm printing only a few pages, I print 12x12" at home with my wide-format HP printer. The PAPER makes all the difference and I recommend Epson's PremierArt Matte Scrapbook paper (ordered off Epson's website). This paper can be printed on both sides and it's really wonderful - the colors are vibrant and clear.

Hope this helps!