Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 AM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy Pie time!

Hi all, my house is filled with talk of pies. Every year the kids each get to pick-a-pie & the Wednesday before Thanksgiving everyone makes their own pie.

The last two years we've stuck to our favorites (one new pie that was delicious but only eaten by me). This year they really want something different.

What are your favorite pies? Are they tradition? Accidental recipe? Help us pick some new winners for our Tday dinner.

Our usuals:
  • Banoffee (banana toffee)
  • Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin cheesecake
  • Pecan
  • Chocolate chip pecan
  • Blueberry
Can't wait to see what everyone else loves. I love pie!

my email
Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM
theStudio Warhol

Default Re: Pie time!

Banoffee sounds great - never had it before but I love banana pie!! In my family, the older generation is committed to pumpkin pie. This year, I am making pecan chocolate chip and thought I might try to expand their horizons with something a little different. I did a taste test with a sliced/layered sweet potato pie with maple glaze. Everyone said it was good, but I didn't like it, lol. Guess we're doing pumpkin and pecan then.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 PM
theStudio Warhol

My Grandpa always had to have a Mince-meat pie, ack! My personal fave is pecan, so you're covered if I come for a visit My Aunt has taken to making pecan/choc chip BARS because they're "so much easier" she says. My MIL always makes a chocolate pie for her daughter, which is good enough for me to help eat AND finally, DH's Grandma used to make a Butterscotch pie, in a real crust, not a crumby one. Happy Eats!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 AM
theStudio Owner

Ooo Butterscotch is a great idea. I haven't done one of those & I'm pretty sure I'd have some lovers in the house.

Jen. Definitely try Banoffee. It couldn't be easier & all my kids love, love, love it. Simply lightly boil 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, unopened, for 3 hours. Rotate & top off with more water, if needed, every 1/2 hour. Pour into graham cracker crust & top with sliced bananas & whipped cream.

You can go fancier, but that's the bare bones & it's really yummy.

my email
Old 11-17-2011, 05:20 AM
theStudio Designer

Mmmmh, Toiny's Banoffee is really yummy (I know, since I got to taste it, LOL) - I also like the variation of using applesauce instead of bananas, I love the tartness of the apples together with the sweetness of the toffee.

This time of year my absolute favorite is Cranberry Pecan Pie!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:12 AM
theStudio QC CT

I've never heard of banoffee. It sure sounds good!
We usually stick to pecan, pumpkin, and p-nut butter pie at Thanksgiving. However, since I've had a change of eating style...I don't think I will be having any this year.
m

pse-3,4,5,6, 8 , 9, 10....CS5...and PSP x3
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM
theStudio Warhol

Boil in can, hmmm....I have to give this a try! I sense that another taste test is in order before next week
Old 11-23-2013, 12:39 PM
theStudio Picasso

Thanksgiving is pumpkin and apple pie for us .... we have a lot of diet issues ... one is diabetic, one is lactose intolerant, the grandgirls are eating a 'taste' only .... so the custard and overly sweet ones are out of the question. Christmas is mincemeat without the saturated fats. Loblaws puts out one that uses oils instead and it's very good, as well as the apple and pumpkin. No little ones around anymore, unfortunately. I think I'm putting on the pounds just listening to all the yummy pies being served this weekend.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:06 PM
theStudio CT

Pumpkin, of course, apple, and pork pie.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 AM
theStudio CT

Just not the holidays without the pumpkin pie and mincemeat pie!! Always a tradition in our house back in the 50's. And I LOVE mincemeat pie!!! Hard to find it anymore. Also love custard pie and of course the old standbys---apple and cherry pie. I'm getting HUNGRY!!!!!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:15 PM
theStudio Designer

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

One pie we used to always have, but not anymore, is lemon meringue ... not typically a traditional pie for the holidays. However, this pie was made with Meyers lemons, which have a whole different flavor. Almost like the difference between limes and key limes. The really cool thing about the Meyers lemons is as long as you keep a lemon or two on the tree, it will keep producing lemons year round ... unless your tree gets killed by a heavy frost ... which happened to ours a few years back. Don't know what happened to Mom's source of lemons, but do know she cut back on the number of pies and the lemon meringue was the first to go.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 AM
theStudio Designer

Oh... the Chocolate Chip Pecan sounds amazing!!!!! I don't make pie; I buy it. You wouldn't really like me in the kitchen. Really. But I LOVE your tradition of everyone making their own pie, and I would certainly be willing to be the taste tester.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:27 AM
theStudio Designer

I dont like pumpkin at all. My favs are apple ones for this season. And banoffee sounds yummy!!

Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 AM
theStudio CT

Pumpkin and pecan. I do have a fun story. Years ago when my dd was maybe 4, we were having Thanksgiving at my MIL's house. It was time for dessert and my dd got a piece of pumpkin pie with Cool Whip on top. After a bit she was back at the Cool Whip getting a spoonful for her pie. This happened yet again. My MiL made a comment about her liking pumpkin pie so much. . .i had noticed that there was STILL the same amount of pumpkin pie in the plate. Lisa came around for more Cool Whip. My MIL was there and Lisa said "Grandma, I can't say much for your pie, but you make the BEST cream!!!" She was just eating the Cool Whip and using the same pie over and over LOL!!! Fast forward 30 years and last night when I was talking to my granddaughter who is 4, she asked if we were going to have turkey (yes), mashed potatoes (yes), corn (yes), cream!!! She didn't ask about the pie!!! Proves that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 AM
theStudio Owner

LOL! Whipped cream pie should just be served at any Thanksgiving with little ones

Speaking of... at Christmas I make a whipped cream "pudding", a traditional bavarois with madarines or strawberries. YUM!

my email
Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 AM
theStudio Warhol

We always have Pumpkin and Squash....Squash was always my Dad and Brothers favorite...then the desserts...Gotta have Chocolate Delight!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 PM
theStudio Designer

I like fruit pies, like apple or bluebeerry or cherry. That bein said, Banoffee sounds super good!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:27 AM
theStudio Picasso

They all sound delicious! I wish pies were popular here too.