Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 06-23-2012, 01:51 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Out of Gamut ?

I recently designed a LO with some bright orangey-yellow colors which were picked up by my out-of-gamut warning. When I went to find substitute papers, I discovered that all of the bright orangey-yellow papers I had (including those from reputable designers) suffered from being out-of-gamut and then it dawned on me that no one could make an in-gamut paper in the color family I wanted.

From a user's (as opposed to a designer's), what's the downside in using out-of-gamut content in your LO's? I haven't routinely checked to see if my LO's are in gamut and I've been happy enough with the results printed as Shutterfly phtobooks.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 PM
theStudio Designer

Default Re: Out of Gamut ?

What I do if I have an out of gamut paper (I use Photoshop) is a quick trick. I just convert the paper to CMYK under "images", then convert it right back to RGB. This pretty much takes care of it. I do find the colours you're talking about are ones that are most common to being out of gamut. Try that though. Printer's can print the colours if they're out of gamut, but you can't guarantee the colour is going to be what you thought.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 PM
theStudio Designer

I use the same trick myself -- very handy!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
theStudio Hybrid CT

Oh, that's really neat, I will have to try that, thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM
theStudio Artist

That is a good trick in that it's a fast way of fixing things, but the color does change. Would it be fair to say that if you know for sure that you're printing the photo at a photo printing kiosk or shop that you can safely ignore the out-of-gamut warning, whereas if you are going to send the photo to a photobook service such as Shutterfly, you should make your LO in gamut so you have a better sense of what you're getting?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
theStudio Designer

I would suggest that you fix the gamut before submitting for printing. The tricky thing about printing though is, it will never match what you see on your screen. You're talking about two different colour modes. Your screens preview RGB and printers print in CMYK, so there will always be a shift of sorts. Inks, papers, presses, all come into play and vary from printer to printer. You can take the same page, give it to 5 different printers and get 5 different results. I would suggest if you've found a place where you're happy with the colour, stick with them.