Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Challenges > Archived Monthly Challenges > August 2012 Challenges

August 2012 Challenges Here you will find all our monthly challenges for August 2012. Try one, try two, try them all!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:33 AM
theStudio Designer

Default August Surprise Me! Border Challenge

Sometimes when I create a layout, I want the photograph to be the only thing on the page, except perhaps for a date and/or very little text. Yet at the same time, I want some added interest. I have found that borders really come in handy when I find myself in this spot! However, sometimes a more traditional scrapbook page, featuring any number of photos, can be enhanced with the use of a border.

For the past 2 months, we have been challenging ourselves with the creation of borders for our scrapbook pages. I have been delighted at the variety of borders you have all come up with. Your imagination has inspired me in some of my own scrapbook page designs! I love seeing the unique perspective of each of you, and how your personalities shine through your creations!

I am delighted that you would like to continue the Border Challenge! I think it would be fun to step up the challenge a little each month. Are you game?

My challenge to you this month is to create your layout using the following guidelines:

1. You may use any kit you like to create your scrapbook page and border. You may use a template if you desire.

2. You may use either one photo to tell your story, or create a more traditional scrapbook page using any number of photos.

3. If you are using Photoshop, you MUST use a Style somewhere in the creation of your border design. If you use a program that does not utilize Styles, you may use any Special Effects that are available within your program.

IF: you do not have any Styles in your stash but have a program that can utilize them, you may download this freebie Sampler I created HERE. This sampler comes with my Photoshop Elements Friendly Strip, so you will NOT have to "install" these styles, if you do not wish to. You will just open the PSD file, and let it reside on your workspace while you design you page. Simple-use instructions are included.

IF: you cannot work with Styles or PSD files, you may download 600x600 jpg style sheets HERE. Simply clip them to your design element, and you're good to go. The difference between using style sheets and Styles, is that by using the sheets, you will not have available to you the any special effects of the style (such as bevels, inner shadows, and such). However, using sheets is a great alternative and can be used very effectively.

IF: you already have this particular Styles Sampler (it was given away in a Studio newsletter), please feel free to use any Styles that you already have. If you are looking for some new ones, I have put my Commercial Use shop on sale for 30% so you have the option to pick up some new goodies at a discounted price.

Please post your layout HERE in the Surprise Me! Challenge Gallery by the last day of August. Then come back and post your layout here in this thread so we can see, with a quick glance, the amazing work you have done!

What do you earn by participating? Well, theStudio offers a 10% discount on ALL of your purchases for the following month. So, if you participate this month and get a layout posted (AND post a link here in this forum), you will receive 10% off of every purchase made next month! No coupons are required. The discount will automatically be applied to your purchase. How easy is that? And YES, this is on top of any sales prices too.

If you have any problems or questions using Styles, please do not hesitate to PM here, and either I or Diane (my handy helper) will get back to you right away!

I hope you have fun and enjoy the challenge of working with a tool that is either an old friend or quite possibly new to you!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 AM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: August Surprise Me! Border Challenge

I love styles and can't wait to get some free time so I can play around with this fun challenge.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
theStudio Warhol

Oh, I love styles... been having problems getting new one installed on my PSE10 so very glad to see we can use without installing them. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:11 PM
theStudio Artist

Thank you so much for creating the style sheets as I can't use asl files in my program. Looking forward to doing this challenge.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM
theStudio Picasso

Here is mine Karen-Forever in my Heart

I used the styles provided on the stitches in the border and also on the staples on the frame.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 PM
theStudio Designer

Here's mine -- my heart

I used your styles for the scalloped border, the two narrow borders, and the scatter. The rest of the credits are listed in my layout description.

Thank you so much for providing the sampler! I definitely intend to check out your store to see what else you have.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
theStudio Designer

So sorry it has taken me a few days to get back here! My husband and I were up in the mountains for a few days, and we had no Internet. What??? After I got over the shock of it all, it was rather nice.

Beautiful layout, Cathy, and such a lovely tribute to your mother. XOXO

I love your classic border, Jilbert. The leather style you used is perfect for the scallops, I think. And love it on the scatters too. I really like the whole page layout... the style on the title is really pretty too.

Am looking forward to the other layouts that are in the works here. And I hope the use of styles didn't scare off anyone!!!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 PM
theStudio Picasso

Thanks for the fun challenge. I LOVE styles! They don't always look like what I thought they would - but they are fun!I started out with a gold rope(inside of a frame)frame, used a whitish style(wasn't pink enough) then a clear pinkish style and it came out like this - nice surprise!

Here is mine: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...902-happy.html

Old 08-10-2012, 01:43 AM
theStudio Picasso

Here is mine. I used the styles on the mom and little girl, the bee and the three birds. I had soooooo much fun with this layout. I didn't know how to use styles before I started and one thing led to another and I ended up learning a TON of things today!! Thanks for this fun challenge.

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...k-with-me.html
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Here is mine: I used a glitter style by Aimee Harrison around the border. I LOVE styles!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:26 PM
theStudio CT

Gallery Link

I used the Sampler from Snickerdoodle Designs on the lace element from the kit.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 AM
theStudio Designer

Gloria said: I LOVE styles! They don't always look like what I thought they would - but they are fun!I

Gloria, Did you see the tutorial I put up yesterday on theStudio's blog? It addresses your concern about styles sometimes looking different than expected: https://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/blog/

Even though it didn’t meet your initial vision, it is gorgeous! Isn’t it fun when surprises like that happen? Your flower border is just lovely!

Jan, I love how you used the borders to bring out the colors in the bird and foliage! Your use of the styles on the birds and silhouette was perfect, giving them great dimension.
Andrea, Perfect idea to use the dark glitter style around the border like that. It really reminds me of dark berries, with a little sugar on them! Yum. (I love styles too!)

Pam, Love how you used the acrylic style here, it looks so refreshing with the flowers , almost like a water effect. So pretty!

Wonderful layouts here! I'm really glad the using the styles didn't scare you off!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM
theStudio Artist

Thank you for including sheet styles ,since my program doesn't open psd,tif,asl,abr, or csh files. I have never seen styles offered in a sheet version before. I didn't know that was even possible.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 AM
theStudio CT

FUN challenge, Karen!! I used your sample styles on two areas of the border: the part with the little holes in it and the scallop border.
My great-granddaughter, Lily looks so tiny next to those huge plants!!

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...he-garden.html
Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 AM
theStudio Designer

Hey Nancy! Great use of the styles in your border! I really like how you used the flowers and ribbons to "tie" the borders together! Great use of Dreamin of Daisies too! So good to see you here!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:11 PM
theStudio Designer

Lovely pages!!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM
theStudio Designer

Agreed! I am always amazed at the different perspectives everyone gives to the same concept.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM
theStudio Picasso

Here's mine. There are drop shadow styles, glitter styles on clock and bottom border paper, star dust brush styles, and a photo mask. Great fun.

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...-to-sleep.html
Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
theStudio Artist

I made a page for this challenge using April 2012 Colour Challenge kits. I made the glitter border myself. Wordart is by Lee Benkers at Hummie's World.

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...29-nature.html

I couldn't use the styles in my program so decided to use glitter instead.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM
theStudio Warhol

Sorry I'm so late in posting this one. Time got away from this month...

Love the styles you provided, Karen. Beautiful ones... it was hard to pick one that I could show off. Finally decided to use the gold glitter one and make a frame/border for the page.

For some reason my PSE won't reset to use the styles I added to the correct folder... not the first time I have tried adding more styles. < sigh > So very glad you provided them in a PSD so I was able to use them.

Tags
august challenge, border challenge, snickerdoodledesigns, surprise me