Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Critique Corner

Critique Corner Post links to your layouts that you want honest constructive criticism on.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:44 AM
SAS-y Gem

Default What do you think?

I finished this today..it's the first page of the album so I want it to be SPECTACULAR!

It's not though...I did a bit more of drop shadows then normal not sure if that is what is off on it. Too pale you think?

Ideas? Anyone?

http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...php?photo=4522

Old 12-01-2007, 06:11 AM
theStudio Artist

I think it is a lovely LO. Maybe one thing I would think of is to lighten up the picture a bit. because you have a very light and airy LO and then a darker pici.

Just my humble opinion! I think it is a terrific page though. And I love the little beading word 'julia' along the bottom of the photo...

Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 AM
SAS-y Pearl

My gosh, I don't have anything to say. I like the layout as is, so I will only say... kudos to you!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
SAS-y Diamond

It is a totally adorable layout Heather. My only suggestion would be to "lift" some of the elements off of the page with more drop shadows. For example, a flower would cast a shadow if it were sitting on a piece of paper. Check out my drop shadow tutorial in the Learning Center to see examples of what I mean.

Other than that, I think it's priceless.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM
theStudio Picasso

I love it! I agree with Candee that I'd play with the elements just a bit more. It seems like some things have a shadow at the top and to the left, while others have it at the bottom and side. You should try to remain consistent in your shadows as the light source usually comes from the same place and would cast all the same shadows.

One thing I've done more of since reading Candee's shadow tutorial is really look at how the "real" version of the element would case a shadow. For example, a piece of paper would have a small bit of a shadow, while a flower, or beads, would leave a deeper shadow since they'd come higher off the page.

Overall, it's a great LO.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:02 AM
SAS-y Gem

Yes I know it's the drop shadows. LOL I did this one after I read her tut on shadows and I think I totally confused myself with all. Gonna play with it some more. Thanks ladies!

Old 05-02-2008, 03:29 PM
SAS-y Gem

Thumbs up To do or not to do drop shadows

I LOVE your page! I am not big on drop shadows personally, espcially when they come in kits and I can't rotate elements as freely. When I want to make something 3-d sometimes I use a chisel with settings that make the light look less directional. Your page and your baby are ADORABLE.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:51 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I don't agree with lightening the pic because the pic stands out and that's what you want but I do think that if you cut more of the blanket out of it and make JUST the baby be in the pic it would look better. KWIM? But I LOVE the layout! Simply gorgeous!