Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Events > Archived Events > theStudio Birthday Bash 2012 > Next Designer Contest 2012

Next Designer Contest 2012
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 23:59 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 23:59 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 23:59 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 27, 23:59 pm

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:09 PM
theStudio Warhol

Default Re: NDC Round 1 Challenge: Moonrise

I see 2 and maybe another as solid. One contest I was in had a third category. I forgot what they called it (themed?) Photo papers, the flowered, textured wall and seascape from above are examples of what would fit into this category. Not repeating patterns, but not solid.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Should we post the link to our gallery post here as well? Or should we just assume it will get seen in the gallery?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:55 AM
theStudio Artist

OMG I can't wait to get mine up! Just a couple more bits to finish up - but those will have to wait until after church tomorrow, I think. this contest!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy Re: NDC Round 1 Challenge: Moonrise

You can, there is no rule against it. However, be assured that many of us, especially me, are in the gallery just waiting to pounce on a new entry.

Great job on yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Scraps View Post
Should we post the link to our gallery post here as well? Or should we just assume it will get seen in the gallery?

my email
Old 09-02-2012, 02:41 AM
theStudio Owner

The possibilities are endless!

Guys, as long as you think you have 2 solids & 3 patterns, in your style of solids. It is acceptable. I need to see how your style and talent shines within the parameters given. I want to see how you stand out from the crowd when you are working with the same set of guidelines as all your competitors.

Don't overthink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlen124 View Post
I see 2 and maybe another as solid. One contest I was in had a third category. I forgot what they called it (themed?) Photo papers, the flowered, textured wall and seascape from above are examples of what would fit into this category. Not repeating patterns, but not solid.

my email
Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 AM
theStudio Owner

answer: Yes the theme must be Moonrise.

One of the things I'm looking for is how well you create within the guidelines. This is something a designer must frequently do when working on a collab. Whether it is for the monthly store mega, or with a group of fellow designers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliEnriquezDesigns View Post
So, the theme has to be Moonrise? We just can't create something in those color's?

my email
Old 09-02-2012, 06:19 AM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiny View Post
No need to apologize! A solid is all one color, though there can be some additional color in it, however, it should have texture. Whether the texture is added by overlay, or brushes, or both is up to you. It is okay to have some edging as well.
So my definition of a solid as also being a gradient is wrong?

Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 AM
theStudio Owner

No it's not. A solid can have variations of color in it.

Again, I truly think you need to apply this to you & the way you design. Follow the guidelines, of course, but also let your natural creativity shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne79 View Post
So my definition of a solid as also being a gradient is wrong?

my email
Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 AM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
No it's not. A solid can have variations of color in it.

Again, I truly think you need to apply this to you & the way you design. Follow the guidelines, of course, but also let your natural creativity shine.
Great to hear Thanks for the fast answer

Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 AM
theStudio Designer

Look at this...I go out of town for a day and return to all this excitement! I am so excited to see the first designer challenge up! I love this time of the year

Aimee Harrison
Blog | Store | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Scrap Blog
Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 AM
theStudio Artist

Phew. Mine is up. Can't wait to see what everyone else does!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlen124 View Post
I have finished up the minimum. I'm going to let to brew for a while while I work on other things I have neglected today
Usually in contests I like to make a bit more and pick the best .... but PS is acting weird. It won't let me save as png unless I go through save for web. I also cannot open png files (I could first thing this morning, but after a re-boot everything is screwy ... looks like a re-install for me.
Hi, Katlen, and everyone! I saw this thread and had to read! LOL I think I might be able to help.

If your PS won't let you save a .png normally, check the Mode. You can find it by going to 'Image'>'Mode'. It should show the mode as 'RGB'. If it is on 'Indexed' or anything else, just change it to 'RGB. You should be able to save it the way you usually do.

If you used an 'indexed', or other mode, item to make some part of what you are saving, this happens. It's an easy fix!

I'm hoping to learn a few things, myself! I've always enjoyed seeing what everyone does!

Su
Old 09-02-2012, 10:10 AM
theStudio Artist

Toiny...glad to be back and going to try and finish both of these this time love this challenge and thanks for your answers. ALL of them. i do subtle repetitivie patterns but they are not part of my sytle (in any style i do) guess cuz i never use them. think they r too busy...except for dots, circles, stripes etc. so saying to use our own thoughts is great. i think may have gotten so confused or unsure (like me) as some contests if u do not follow the rules to the T u get eliminated. so nice to know there is some room for US in that

kimberly...OMG thanku thanku thanku hon. i am such a visual person u made it easier for me and let me know that MY vision was correct for ME and MY style.

so i think last question. i know previews r important to these challenges. is it ok to ask some of my designers for critiques on my previews (as i am preview challenged LOL) or is that unethical???? or just flat against the rules??? want to make sure before i do. (not that i have started with this being a 4 day holiday weekend and i'm painting my house finally. YAY!!! thanks again

All my stress comes from people NOT playing the game of life by MY rules!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:26 AM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
The possibilities are endless!

Guys, as long as you think you have 2 solids & 3 patterns, in your style of solids. It is acceptable. I need to see how your style and talent shines within the parameters given. I want to see how you stand out from the crowd when you are working with the same set of guidelines as all your competitors.

Don't overthink it.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That helps so much. Like Jacquie said, none of us want to get eliminated for having the wrong definition of something. :p Plus, my idea of solid is one single color paper with no overlay or anything; BORING. LOL

And WOW There a few really beautiful kits up already. WTG Gang!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM
theStudio Owner

answer: You may absolutely get input on your preview before posting. I think it's smart to get feedback before your final submission. I do the same thing with many of my previews. A second set, or third, or fourth, of eyes can be very helpful.

Now, having someone create the preview for you would be unethical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque View Post
so i think last question. i know previews r important to these challenges. is it ok to ask some of my designers for critiques on my previews (as i am preview challenged LOL) or is that unethical???? or just flat against the rules??? want to make sure before i do. (not that i have started with this being a 4 day holiday weekend and i'm painting my house finally. YAY!!! thanks again

my email
Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 AM
theStudio Warhol

I did not plan on joining the competition, but when I saw the color palette & theme I changed my mind.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM
theStudio Artist

Creating a kit was one thing, uploading it and hoping everyone likes it is hard on the nerves. Short or long lived, I have been looking forward to this contest. Wishing everyone the best of luck!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 PM
theStudio Designer

You are right, GGrey! It is hard! Kudos to all of you for being brave and doing for it! Off to check out the gallery. I hear there are some kits there already! Wow! You're fast!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:06 PM
theStudio Artist

Wow, the first "challenge" for me is to read all the comments and questions and answers
What a great atmosphere here!

Toiny, I like the colors you choosed!

Now I am running to do my work... *LOL*
Old 09-02-2012, 01:29 PM
theStudio Artist

GGrey - I totally know what you mean! I am always super nervous when I first introduce a kit.
Closed Thread