Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Tutorials

theStudio Tutorials September 2010: A brandnew forum for tutorials. There will be a weekly new tutorial from theStudio Design Team but you are welcome to post your own.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:35 AM
theStudio Monet

Default Budding Designer Basics - Packaging

Is there anywhere I can find the basics of how to package a kit? I've been told a finished kit cover is 300x300 at 72 dpi. Do you design it at a bigger size and then bring it down. If so, how do you change the dpi from 300 to 72 on PSE 9. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: Budding Designer Basics - Packaging

The cover page or what is also known as the Preview would be 600px X 600px at 72dpi when you upload it to the gallery. I always Flatten it to make sure that the shadows don't go wonky. Create it at 300dpi and resize when you are done by going to Image>Resize>Image size... make your changes to the 600X600 72dpi in that dialog box. Then Save for the Web which is File>Save for Web... and make sure it is saved as a jpg.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 PM
theStudio Monet

Thanks, Sue. I think I can do it now.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 PM
theStudio Monet

Hi all, just for general information and clarification on this subject, when you resize your images to 600 x 600 there is no need to fool with the ppi. When you use Photoshop or PSE to "Save for Web" the ppi will automatically be reduced to 72 because that is the display size for the web. Also, dpi is "dots per inch" and pertains to the amount of ink your printer uses in each inch of the printout, but monitor display settings are measured in ppi which is pixels per inch. The measurements do not correspond to each other.

The topic is quite complex, but these are the basics. Hope you find this additonal info helpful.