Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 06-04-2013, 04:30 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Petition Adobe to cancel mandatory CS subscription model

Adobe is moving their CS products to a subscription-only model, which is bad news for those of us who use CS extensively but don't upgrade every time a new version of CS comes out. You must have a subscription to use CS products after CS6 and will need to log in periodically in order to retain access to the software. If you do not log in, your software will cease to function.

There is an online petition asking Adobe to reconsider. They would like another 6700 or so signatures to reach their goal of 35,000.

http://www.change.org/petitions/adob...cription-model

Even if you have CS6, are happy with it and can't see ever needing to upgrade, there's no guarantee that CS6 will continue to work as OS's get upgraded. I was happy with the feature set of CS3, but upgraded to CS5 when CS3 didn't work well on a new OS.

Details about the changes here: http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.html
Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 PM
the Studio Admin Team Member

Default Re: Petition Adobe to cancel mandatory CS subscription model

Thank you for posting this. I didn't realise that this was the path Adobe is choosing to take. I can think of 101 reasons why this is a very bad idea................not the least being, too bad if you don't have a fast or reliable internet connection!!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM
theStudio Designer

It's all a way of keeping everyone in line with no choices, and that really bugs me when they limit my choices. Apple did the same thing with the release of their latest Macs - no DVD drive! So if you wanted to put your own DVDs in to listen to music - or burn CDs of things like photos for backup, forget about it. They want you to use the Apple store, iCloud for storage and stuff like that. Seems too much like a dictatorship to me and I always buck the system when it comes to stuff like that. I'm going to check out your link, thanks for posting.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM
theStudio Party Girl

That is preposterous! First they charge an ungodly amount for their software to begin with, and now they want to FORCE you to keep paying so you can use it??!!!

I'm going to stop here or you will hear words that most do not want to hear...... I am very upset by this and WILL be signing the petition! Thanks so much for the heads up!

Darlene, I buck the system every chance I get! Must be the rebel in me!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
theStudio CT

I was very upset when I had heard this. I love my CS6 and won't upgrade because of their new direction! It was bad enough the prices were high...but now you are really "renting" the program and it's up somewhere in a cloud. What happens when too many are using it at the same time or something happens?? I for one will petition to change this!

Old 06-06-2013, 04:02 PM
theStudio Monet

Darlene you put it all perfectly! I signed the petition!
I worry about the direction our country is going!

[/CENTER]
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM
theStudio Picasso

To answer the implied question by Yorkiemom and Robyn: The new subscription-based plans will still have you using the software on your own machine, not through the internet. You will have to maintain your subscription by payment and checking in every month, or your software will no longer work on your own computer. As upgrades are made, you will download patches or new versions and install on your computer, just as you have done in the past.

As for the new plans, they are totally going to lose me as a customer also as it's just not feasible financially. I figured out that I'd be paying 7 times as much for the software on a subscription plan than by my usual method of upgrading about every 4 years. The only people who can afford that kind of plan have businesses that make enough profit to justify it. Screw the consumer market and the pro-sumer market, which is where most of us fall. I kinda doubt that a lot of freelance graphic designers can afford $600 a year on this one set of software. And more when Adobe needs to raise the price of a subscription.

I'm signing the petition, too!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:42 AM
theStudio Designer

Thank you for posting this - I happily signed, as well!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Thanks for posting this petition. I am not happy about it either. There has to be a better way for them to combat piracy than alienating their customer base. Not everyone has fast internet service depending on where they live and what options are available to them. And the fact that they want to "rent" out their program is horrible. I hope that they change their minds in the end. =/
Old 06-12-2013, 03:04 AM
theStudio Monet

Was not happy when I came across this a while back. Glad some one started a petition. Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes I don't even turn on my PS for a couple of months. Where would that land my investment? I cry foul.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 AM
theStudio Designer

Now let's think about the fact something could happen that you didn't plan - you have an accident and have to stay in hospital for longer - you can't log in your account - maybe for a couple of months.
Or you lose your "real life" job and can't afford to pay for a while...
I think their new system will just NOT work.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM
theStudio Picasso

I get really angry reading it. Sorry but I hate it to be forced to do things I didnīt decide by myself. Everywhere rules about rules - and than they wondered about more and more people who find ways to circumvent the rules. They are going to get more and more cracks instead of going to save their products.... grrr
Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
theStudio Designer

I've only upgraded every other version -- this is like your mortgage -- with interest you pay for it several times over instead of one lump sum every other year. Grrrrrr . . . .
Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM
theStudio Designer

signed. how sad if Adobe goes forward with the subscription model as their only option.

Personal Use Shop
Commercial Use Shop
My Newsletter
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Google+
Documenting Your Life
Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Oh my, I hadn't heard about this. I signed! There is no way I can afford to pay rent for ps. I think it may be time for me to switch back to psp :-(