Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 AM
theStudio CT

Default Hay hay---I'm back!!!!

Oh, that's right! You didn't know I was gone because I couldn't get on line to tell you I was gone---or rather that my computer crashed!!!!! AAARGGHHHH!!! What a horrible feeling----to sit and stare at your computer knowing you can't get on line!!! It wasn't that it crashed, I just couldn't get on line. Whenever I tried to open up the computer, I would get an error message telling me I had to insert my installation disc and push "Repair Start Up". HAH!!!! Would someone please tell me where my installation disc is, cause I can't find it!!!!
So yesterday while visiting with a neighbor I mentioned my problem and she informed me that her husband was studying computer repair and to let him look at it. Well I did---and here I am!!!! Aren't neighbors wonderful!!!!! He also made me a repair disc-----just in case!!!! So, off to look around, read everything and see all the fun I have missed!!!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 AM
theStudio Monet

Default Re: Hay hay---I'm back!!!!

I felt that way last week Nancy! Mine would start up, but just sit there on a blank screen.
I figured out that it was my EHD!!!! It crashed, and because it was hooked to my computer it would not let me do a start-up! Once I unplugged it I was back up and running! But, I lost all my pictures, fonts and a few other scrapping files I did not have backed up!

Luckily my kids all have copies of any pics I had, so just have to wait to get them back from them!

Glad you had a neighbor that was so kind to fix yours Nancy!

[/CENTER]
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM
theStudio CT

The worse feeling is when you are peacefully sitting there using your computer and you notice a faint odor of smoke. You decide it must be nothing and you continue to work. Then the odor gets stronger and the screen starts to blink in an oh so strange way. You suddenly hear a noise that you have never heard before and then pop, pop, pop and see the smoke rising from your computer. . . .I can remember thinking, oh please don't let me burn down the house!!! Then the second though was to unplug ALL the EHD's. The computer was fried completely - parts had melted that shouldn't have been melted. Got a new computer that afternoon and within 24 hours I was back in business. Thank goodness I am diligent about running those backups!!!

Glad to see you back :-)
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM
theStudio CT

Yeah! BIG lesson learned!!! I had NOTHING backed up!! I could just see myself starting to buy kits all over again! I have over 600 kits from this site alone!! Unfortunately my EHD is also not working but haven't given up hope. When I plug it in, it turns on, but the little icon that should show up in "My Computer" so I can start EHD doesn't show up. I'm hoping its just the plug. Gotta see if my neighbor can tell me what the problem is.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:13 PM
theStudio Monet

Good to have you back Nancy, i did notice you weren't here!!

I back up everything to do with scrapbooking once a month, it's amazing how many LO's and kits you can amass in 1 month :-O

Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
theStudio CT

But where do you back them up to? I tried EHD and now that doesn't work. I just bought a HUGE thumb drive, but I understand they even break down after awhile. Where is a safe place to keep kits?????
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 PM
theStudio Monet

WE have a 2TB hard drive I back it all up on there.

I have a folder called scrapbooking on my laptop under pictures, and i seperate everything in there into kits, ct kits, scrap pages etc etc, in my kits folder I seperate designers names nd put their kits in their own folders.

So really I just copy and paste the one folder (about 70gb...or more lol) onto the EHD then after that is finished remove the old folder, because I give them a date, eg June 2013 scrapp stuff.

Does that help?

If you have them all backed up on your EHD and on your computer, one hopes that one breaks down at a time and not both.....was that your case??

Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 AM
theStudio CT

My EHD started acting up a couple months ago. When I connect it to the computer, the little icon that is suppose to show up in MY COMPUTER so I can open the EHD, doesn't show up. I have over a thousand photos on there and I don't know how many hundreds of kits going back about 5 years. But all my DSS kits are on my computer. I'm so glad I didn't put them on the EHD!!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 AM
theStudio Monet

Have you tried plugging into a differernt USB slot, maybe try on someone elses computer, you might have a dicky plug either on your PC or the hard drive. perhaps try another usb cord,

Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 AM
theStudio CT

I saw this post and thought...okay I didn't know you were gone! Now I know. So glad you got your computer fixed...that can be such a bummer esp. when one is not as knowledgeable as one might think. Yep, neighbors can be great...especially the ones with a lot of computer experience! LOL!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 AM
theStudio Owner

Hi Nancy! I missed you! What amazing neighbors you have. So glad they fixed it before we really, truly missed you.

my email
Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 AM
theStudio Designer

Hi Nancy! You know I'm glad you are back. AND that you have an amazing neighbor.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 PM
theStudio Monet

Nancy, you might want to investigate an online backup service. I use Just Cloud, and I think it costs me in the range of $5-10 a month for unlimited space. All you have to do is set up what folders for it to back up (can include external drives) and when you want it done. After that it's all automatic. The first backup does take a while, depending on how much you're backing up (days, or possibly weeks, if you've got a slow connection). My backups include my entire EHD of scrapping stuff, my Documents, Photos, Music, and Movies folders, Fonts, and my collection of Photoshop and Illustrator presets. Don't bother with backing up anything you have original disks for (applications), or the Operating System (usually on original disks). For all that, my daily (3am) backup takes maybe 15 minutes for all the new files created since the last backup. And I don't have to do anything except leave the computer on.

Most importantly, of course, is to have some backup plan and do it regularly. Check to see what other backup services charge, and what the benefits are, to choose what's right for your situation. Some servces are even free, with limited space.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 AM
theStudio CT

Yes, I've been thinking of something like that. I just downloaded all my DSS kits on to a thumb drive, but really don't trust those things. But I really needed to make some space on the computer.