Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Events > Archived Events > theStudio Birthday Bash 2013 > Next Designer Contest 2013

Next Designer Contest 2013
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 2, 6:00 am Ends September 7, 23:59 pm
Round 2: Starts September 9, 6:00 am Ends September 14, 23:59 pm
Round 3: Starts September 16, 6:00 am Ends September 21, 23:59 pm
Round 4: Starts September 23, 6:00 am Ends September 28, 23:59 pm

Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Default Examples of Solids Vs Patterns

Here are some examples I posted for last years contest, to give you an idea of what digi scrap definition of "solid" really is Just filling a 12X12 canvas with a color does NOT count as a "solid", you need to give your papers some texture. Please ask questions if you need to!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think a solid can have multiple colors, especially if you use gradients, so a blue fading to green would be classified as a solid because there is no obvious pattern (like polka dots), but a nice papery texture, like cardstock or construction paper - I'm gonna go pull some examples from my stash, I do much better with visual than written!

Examples of Obvious Solids: (taken from Blueberry Pickin' by Aimee Harrison)

Example of Multi-Colored Solids: (taken from Under A Palm Tree by Lara's Digi World)

Example of Embossed Solid: (taken from Bunnytales Paper Pack by Digilicious Designs)

Example of a deceiving solid, texture is too over-powering to be considered a solid: (taken from A Day At The Beach Addon by JulieC Designs):

Example of not-quite-sure-but-leaning-towards solid lol: (taken from Delightful Summer Addon by Designs by Brigit)

Example of Obvious Pattern: (taken from Blueberry Pickin by Aimee Harrison)

Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 PM
theStudio CT

Default Re: Examples of Solids Vs Patterns

Yeah, I'm with you on the "not so sure" solid. It definitely has flowers in it, so I would think that immediately makes it a pattern. Some papers can really draw a fine line. There are definitely a lot of papers that could go either way.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:28 PM
theStudio Artist

I think the paper with the flowers is consider a patter not a solid. To me a solid is a paper with no patters or design. Now if you have a paper with a pattern texture but a solid color I would think this would be consider a solid paper. I may be wrong but that is the way I do it when I design.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:03 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee757 View Post
I think the paper with the flowers is consider a patter not a solid. To me a solid is a paper with no patters or design. Now if you have a paper with a pattern texture but a solid color I would think this would be consider a solid paper. I may be wrong but that is the way I do it when I design.
I personally think that depends on how strong the pattern is...if there are only some "hints" of pattern in a solid color I would say it's sliding through as solid.
The one sample with flowers would be a patterned for me already, too. Sometimes it's just hard to make a straight cut between both.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM
theStudio Warhol

I think there are more categories... I would put the flowers as a scene or edged paper. In my opinion, it has to repeat to be a pattern.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:13 PM
theStudio Artist

I'm not a designer but I'd call the "not-quite-sure-but-leaning-towards solid" paper a solid because that's how I'd scrap with it. The variation is simply color.

Glad I don't have to make these decisions.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:52 PM
theStudio Artist

The "obvious pattern" is obvious because of the large contrast between the two colors. But what if it were the same "pattern" in a tone on tone -- I'm thinking of a white damask tablecloth, for example. If its a tone on tone -- is that still considered a patterned paper?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Hence the reason this topic is always so popular!

I'm with Sandy on the "leaning toward solid" paper, only because I would use it like a solid - and the one I put as "deceiving solid" I would also use as a solid, but have been told it's not by many other designers! When in doubt, stick with the "obvious" ones for the contest! LOL! We're really not going to nit-pick if something is borderline, really!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlen124 View Post
I think there are more categories... I would put the flowers as a scene or edged paper. In my opinion, it has to repeat to be a pattern.
There's absolutely more sub-categories to these, which is why it's so hard to determine some of them! It gets really tough to determine when items are blended in, like the one with the flowers around the edges. But we are not going to be SO picky when voting. Obviously, if you just submit all patterned papers, then it's against the rules, but if there is something that is borderline, it's not going to affect the votes. We really just want you all to have lots of fun and not stress so much!! ( I know, easy to say, right? lol )

We just want to make sure that you guys aren't just filling a 12X12 canvas with a solid color, and not adding any texture to it..... some were thinking that's what we meant by "solid" so we wanted to clarify Any paper, whether solid or patterned, needs to be textured in some way.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash Empress View Post
The "obvious pattern" is obvious because of the large contrast between the two colors. But what if it were the same "pattern" in a tone on tone -- I'm thinking of a white damask tablecloth, for example. If its a tone on tone -- is that still considered a patterned paper?
yes and no... it would depend on how visible the pattern is. If you can clearly see the pattern without straining, I would it's a pattern. But if the pattern is light and barely visible, I would call it a solid.

I have a light pink table cloth that has a damask jewel-tone pattern on it in the same pink color, the pattern is very light and if it wasn't for the "sparkly" jewel-tone, you'd never notice it. I would call that solid.

did I make sense? confuse you more? lol
Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 PM
theStudio CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash Empress View Post
To me, a tone on tone would be a solid because its still all one color.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:54 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
To me, a tone on tone would be a solid because its still all one color.
if it's absolutely the same color....hm...that's difficult... "semi-patterned-solid"?? I think could go into both categories

Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM
theStudio Designer

LOL love this discussion. I think of tone-on-tone as a pattern unless it is *really* subtle.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 PM
theStudio Monet

Oh my, my head is spinning!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 PM
theStudio Monet

Looking forward to seeing all your creations!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 PM
theStudio Warhol

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlen124 View Post
I kind of agree with you with you or maybe a (simple) stacked paper.
Just my though no tomatoes please!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Thank you for this, I was not sure what was considered a solid, now I know