Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Events > Archived Events > theStudio Birthday Bash 2013 > Next Designer Contest 2013

Next Designer Contest 2013
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 2, 6:00 am Ends September 7, 23:59 pm
Round 2: Starts September 9, 6:00 am Ends September 14, 23:59 pm
Round 3: Starts September 16, 6:00 am Ends September 21, 23:59 pm
Round 4: Starts September 23, 6:00 am Ends September 28, 23:59 pm

Old 09-14-2013, 08:02 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Default Troubles with file-sharing services

A number of contestants who are using Box.net have had lots and lots of traffic, which has caused Box.net to close public access to their service or account or whatever it's called. While a wonderful service that has a history of secure downloads, free Box.net accounts were never designed to be file-sharing services at the magnitude generated by scrapbookers ... unless the owners of these files bought a Premier plan, etc.

A "Personal" and "Free" account at Box.net only allows 10GB worth of STORAGE space and a 250MB file upload size. Many scrapbook kits nowadays are humongrous, so a lot of traffic can quickly eat up the relatively limited access that users get with free accounts.

Fortunately, there are many new file-sharing services on the Web today, some good, some bad. 4Shared used to be awful, but it is now much, much better thanks to the required sign-in. Many peeps don't like to have to sign in, however, and I admit that I often sigh when I see that I have to log into 4Shared before I can download a file. Nonetheless, if it stops bad people from piggybacking dangerous files onto legitimate ones, I'm all for the sign-in.

As I've mentioned in multiple posts, MediaFire has gotten downright bad, and it doesn't seem to care about cleaning up its service like 4Shared did after it got a lot of bad publicity back in the day. Almost every single file that I've downloaded during this contest has caused my virus protection program to send me a warning, sometimes two. I've gotten all kinds of warnings, including Trojan horses, malware, and other ones I can't remember right off hand. Plus, MediaFire has loads of annoying pop-ups, blinkies, semi-nudity, etc. (not that I'm a prude or anything, but it's just not something I want to see associated with scrapbooking, which is a wholesome, family-oriented hobby).

One or two people have mentioned Google docs as a way of sharing files, and I've used it once or twice in a pinch to download files when I didn't have a jump drive with me. Unless it's changed in the past year, however, Google docs is a really slow way to go. The files download okay, but then getting them off that server and onto one's own computer is a pain. [Note: This may have changed; I haven't used Google docs in a long, long time simply because it was so cumbersome.]

I really liked the ease by which I downloaded JMDT's files from SkyDrive. Another designer I know uses a couple of good ones, too, but her webpage is now marked private, so I wasn't able to look up the names of her services. I believe that GoDaddy (or maybe it was BigDaddy?) was one of them.

Maybe some of The Studio's designers could make some recommendations . . . I personally would greatly appreciate it because I'm almost done designing a template I want to share in the Template Exchange, but I don't know where to upload it. I'm going to use my Box.net account for the time being, but I'd like a more permanent solution.

Thank you to The Studio's community for any and all help you can provide in solving this somewhat onerous problem. And please boycott MediaFire so we can force those folks to fix the many problems there. BTW, if you aren't having problems with MediaFire, perhaps your virus protection program isn't strong enough.

PS: I apologize for the length of this message.

Last edited by mskinsey; 09-14-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: To add apology
Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 PM
theStudio Monet

Default Re: Troubles with file-sharing services

Thanks for this information Mskinsey!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 PM
theStudio Artist

My files weren't with Box.net, they were with Dropbox and they were suspended for too much bandwidth usage. I guess I should be flattered that my kit garnered that much attention!

I'm currently uploading to Mediafire. I know ppl hate the popups, etc., but I don't really know what else to do. I'm a private user, don't have a "business", don't really want to sink money into a year long plan for more bandwidth just to give away a handful of freebies!

If anyone has any great ideas, I'd love to know about them. But I'm guessing that, like with anything else, you get what you pay for & the file sharing sites are in the business to make money & not to provide a free public service. So once we start needing more than the bare minimum of bandwidth (say, enough to send baby pictures to Aunt Matilda), any one of them will start to charge us.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:33 PM
theStudio Monet

send space seems to work well

Old 09-14-2013, 09:35 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Its frustrating, it really is. I am going to do a kit this week and I will not be using DropBox, Box or crummy MediaFire. I do prefer 4Shared since it has become much better, for these sort of things.

I noticed in the rules that it does state links are to be made available for a certain length of time so I personally think if a person is going to agree to the rules by entering a kit, they should stand by the rules and keep track of what is going on with their links in cases like this so ya don't have a bunch of unhappy scrappers on your hands. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, its just how I was raised...about being professional and responsible when dealing with the public and keeping clients/customers/fans happy and coming back. Disappoint them once and they may never forgive you!

Just my two cents. Thanks for posting details so that maybe more people will understand and stop using those sites for freebies. I've been trying to tell people that for a long time. I even made a list of file sharing sites that I add to often. I need to add more, just as alternatives. We should all list what ones we know of and compile a list.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:14 PM
theStudio Warhol

This is an excellent thread!
I have a business account with BOX which is excellent but expensive. I just piggy back my scrapping with my real business.

Once you have a free 4shared account (I paid for a year when they were evil) I keep myself logged in on my computer so I only have 20 second wait. No virus problems anymore.

A number of scrappers in groups on Facebook that use Google docs and my son uses this at school. I have access but don't use it. No problems here.

Skydrive seems to be good and safe haven't had problems.

GETIT also seems safe and I've never encountered band width problems.

As well, I know of a couple of designers that post their freebies on Deviant Art and I've never had and an issue with bandwidth outages or viruses there either.

MEDIAFIRE is pure evil! It killed my son's computer. I couldn't resurrect it no matter what I did!
I use AVAST anti virus with the online and email protection. AVAST updates automatically multiple times a day and grabs the possible intruders and quarantines them with out disrupting my safe down loads.

Just my 2 cents and an antivirus tip.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:39 PM
the Studio Admin Team Member

Thank you for this excellent thread.

I have a paid 4shared account which I share with 2 other people. It's really good because with a paid account you can hand out direct links. I think it is about $70 for the year from memory, but if you could find some like minded people and split the cost (the more people the cheaper obviously!) it does make it fairly affordable I think. It has fair chunk of bandwidth per month (100 GB per month) and about 100 GB storage space. I think 4 Shared have vastly improved and I haven't ever had any issues with this paid account, which I've had for some time now.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:49 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTatteredPrincess View Post

I noticed in the rules that it does state links are to be made available for a certain length of time so I personally think if a person is going to agree to the rules by entering a kit, they should stand by the rules and keep track of what is going on with their links in cases like this so ya don't have a bunch of unhappy scrappers on your hands. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, its just how I was raised...about being professional and responsible when dealing with the public and keeping clients/customers/fans happy and coming back.
Please be aware that not all of us posting in this contest are *professionals*. Personally I'm just a private digiscrapper who is doing this for the fun & still learning. Each time I do a contest or challenge I learn so much more. I have in the past made & shared a grand total of 4 -- count 'em --- four -- kits (3 were minis), and never had a problem with running out of bandwidth. I honestly had no idea this could or would happen. I'm really sorry & I'm trying my best to rectify the situation.

Certainly if at any point I become "professional" (actually trying to sell a kit) -- I would certainly be sure to have a paid download account that would guarantee that all my customers would have access.

But until that day, it just would be silly of me to PAY for a yearly contract for bandwidth just to be able to offer a freebie in challenge or contest every few months.

Sorry if I don't meet your criteria for a professional designer, but then I never claimed to be one. I'm just in it for the fun.

Ok, back to my corner now.

PS I *AM* grateful for this thread because I honestly had no idea there was going to be a problem with Dropbox & then had no idea where else to go except for Mediafire that everyone loves to hate (I've never had problems with them myself). Thanks to suggestions, I'm currently uploading to SendSpace, hope that will work, but they are soooooooo slow on the uploading...
Old 09-14-2013, 11:00 PM
the Studio Admin Team Member

We certainly would NOT expect any of our participants to have a paid account just for this competition. That would just be completely unrealistic. We just want you to have fun and enjoy the experience.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:02 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
We certainly would NOT expect any of our participants to have a paid account just for this competition. That would just be completely unrealistic. We just want you to have fun and enjoy the experience.
Thank you! I am having an amazingly fun time with this contest. I learn so much with every challenge!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:21 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I didn't say everyone was a professional kit designer, I was just commenting about being "professional" about abiding by contest rules and keeping upkeep of your links as the rules of the contest goes....is all I was trying to say. I do make and sell scrap kits. I am also new to it and still learning myself. However, being I am fairly new and being on disability...I certainly don't have the big funds to pay the obnoxious amounts for file sharing services. At this point in time, I'm just winging it the best I can! That's all one can do, ya know? LOL I wasn't trying to be rude or snippy, love. Please don't take it that way. My point was people agree to the rules, they know the rules...and the rules DO include keeping the links active for a certain amount of time so if people are going to use those sites, they really need to pay attention to their links if they go down. I apologize if you took what I said wrong, not my intention. *hugs*
Old 09-14-2013, 11:53 PM
theStudio Artist

Just my 2 cents...The people that are having problems with Mediafire, I was the same way until a few months ago I downloaded Google Chrome. And wow what a difference! Yes, I still get one popup with each click (which I close as soon as it tries to display whatever is on it--but NO MORE constant clicks to get the download to start) and bam, my download starts right away. I don't hardly ever use Internet Explorer anymore...
4shared is good (even with the 20 second wait)
Google doc's is a good one to try.
Skydrive is good.
2shared is ok. Just make sure you click the 2nd DOWNLOAD button.
I don't like Send Space at all! Today I thought I was clicking on the correct link & it downloaded a EXE file! DELETE! Then when I tried to go back, it told me since I wasn't a premium member, I would have low bandwidth. I mentioned the problem to the designer & she was kind enough to email me back AND she put up a Google Doc's link.

I use Kaspersky antivirus and it has kept my PC clean
I've said it before...try Google Chrome. I luv it
Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 AM
theStudio Scribbler

I use Chrome and even have issues with MediaFire on occasion. One of the kits I got, took a million tries to get the papers and apparently others had issues with her links. Just happens with that site sometimes. I get the same experience from time to time accessing it in FireFox. I wouldn't use IE ever. Ick. LOL

I love Kaspersky too! LOL I also use CCleaner, System Mechanic and Malwarebytes along with it to make sure my laptop doesn't pick up net-funk. LOL
Old 09-15-2013, 12:22 AM
theStudio Artist

I use Firefox & don't usually have any problems with any of the filesharing sites (IE was a nightmare before that!). I have AVG & that seems to do its job pretty well. I recently installed the Adblock plug in & its been amazing how many of those sleazy ads I DON'T see anymore!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 AM
theStudio CT

WOW! Thank you for starting this thread!!! I've learned a lot, and a lot of people expressed my exact sentiments about some of these places----(MediaFire!!!!) I use dropbox and have never had a problem.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:27 AM
theStudio Guest Designer

I am a professional kit designer and have been using Drop Box for about 2 years and had more downloads than I did for this round and this is the first time my account has been suspended. It was suspended while I was sleeping...(I live in Australia) as soon as I got up this morning at about 6am I checked in here, I found my account had been suspended via a notification email and checking the comments on my kit. I immediately uploaded the kit to Media Fire as it was the quickest way for me to fix the links as I had an existing account that I have not used since having DropBox. So I do take offense at the reference of not being professional.

I looked into a paid account at DropBox and have asked around about other file sharing sites, but am not willing to put my hard earned money into a paid account anywhere till I have done a little research.

So thank you all for any info on good file sharing sites it is much appreciated! I am also grateful for this thread as I didn't know there would be a problem with DropBox.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:09 AM
theStudio Artist

Well I'm not saying anything as I'm not having any problems with what I use and I'm not naming it coz I don't want to jinx myself lol...but it's been mentioned as a problem one. I also use google chrome and no one has complained

I do have a paid 4shared account so maybe I'll go back to using that one, but mine is for storage and I think (unless anything has changed) that anyone who uses my links must wait the required time frame, which some people get impatient over.

I am a selling designer but never sell enough to warrant paying for an account just to give away a few freebies over the course of a year. The paid 4shared account was an accident lol...didn't realise what I had done until it was done lol...but that was years ago...not even sure of my password now.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:23 AM
theStudio Monet

I use DivShare and it's worked well for me so far, but it is a paid service. I'm not sure I'd recommend it because it's just not clear how to do certain things (like turning off and on the sharing settings) and there's no help files to consult. I basically think that the traffic generated by a contest like this is going to make for problems with most of the free sites. I've run out of bandwidth before with both 4-shared and MediaFire and some other sites. I don't have any easy answers to this problem. I'd like to hear some Studio people come up with suggestions or solutions.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 AM
theStudio Artist

I guess it would be a good idea to use a couple of free sites giving an option to those who want to download your kits, just a thought.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:41 AM
SAS-y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskinsey View Post
Another designer I know uses a couple of good ones, too, but her webpage is now marked private, so I wasn't able to look up the names of her services. I believe that GoDaddy (or maybe it was BigDaddy?) was one of them.
I think that you write about me - am I right?

I use a personal server.
I bought a dedicated server with the highest possible throughput, a powerful processor and plenty of space. I bought a server at OVH.pl
This is a Polish company whose servers physically standing in France (mine too) and all you need to do on it, you do remotely.

I think that if someone is interested in such a solution - certainly in the United States or any other country, there are companies that offer these opportunities.

Blog / Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Google+