Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM
theStudio CT

Default Re: October Random Chat Thread

Grannie, LOL! Sorry about that. It's' not that I don't like the Ravens but if the two are playing each other....what more can I say. They played a good game though.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM
theStudio Designer

I'm a big Packers fan too, but I'm a bigger Seahawks fan. Being in the Pacific Northwest and having cousins in Seattle, most people here in Vancouver are Seahawks, fans. And like our hockey team here - the Canucks - both teams are long overdue for a championship!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:08 PM
theStudio Picasso

I have a TB external as well. I had purchased the one that backed up constantly but it didn't work for me because I wanted to work through it as well as my main drive is not that big so switched with another that does not use backup software. I simply save everything in files on that drive. I also have another smaller storage unit that I use for those special files I do not want to lose and also burn to disc.

In rural Ottawa we were out several time a year and nothing worked. We had a backup generator that would run the freezer/fridge and sump pump etc but not all at once. In 1998 we were hit with an icestorm here in February that had us out for 9 days ... we moved into the city at our boys place ... we lost a large freezer full of food which I had just finished filling. We decided to get the generator after that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapPamela View Post
Thanks to the late September/early October rain we were in the dark for a couple of days. First time the electricity has gone out here. A giant tree fell not far from our property and blackened a huge area. We are out of the city on 3 1/2 acres and with the electricity we lost our heat (electric starter), our stove-top (gas with electric starter), electric oven and worst of all our water (electric pump on the well). Amazing how easily one can be stalled when the appliances all quit. It took me 2 additional days when the power came back to get my computer going. That was a real scare. I had not backed up my iPhoto. Everything else I can remake if need be, but without the photos a lot would be lost.

I've got an Iomega 2 TB removable disk I'm using for back up, what does everyone else use?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 PM
theStudio CT

Darlene, I like the Seahawks and they are overdue!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:52 PM
theStudio Designer

LOL I had to stop watching hockey. I was surprised at how emotional I got about it! Two seasons back when the Canucks were int he finals and one of the Bruin's broke our guy's BACK and didn't even get a penalty ... I decided i'd had it. So now I resist resist resist!

My (not so) secret guilty TV pleasure is reality TV. Can't look away!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
theStudio Designer

Looks like I killed the conversation by admitting I don't watch sports *grin*

Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

ROTF!!! I could always start talking about HTML and Facebook Tabs ... then you can blame me ...

I'm leaving on vacation Sunday ... going to Hawaii for 4 weeks. Anyone else have vacation plans???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDesigns View Post
Looks like I killed the conversation by admitting I don't watch sports *grin*
Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 PM
theStudio Picasso

Four weeks ... Wow! My Army son, his wife, Shannon, and those twin boys were there for 2 weeks after Shannon and the boys came home for a summer vacation. Dan skyped me from their "military digs" there so I could see their view. They were in an out-of-the-way place and it was easy to imagine how it looked back in the day. Have a wonderful time.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:45 PM
theStudio Designer

We don't have any winter vacation plans but I'd love to do that one day ... a sunny getaway!

Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 PM

It's the first time we've been this time of year. Last year (2012) we went in February ... a bit cooler than summer, which is good. Lot's of rain, but you'd be getting wet if you went swimming. We go often enough that we just do there what we do at home (husband and I are retired computer geeks) ... only we're doing it in Hawaii. Plus, living on the west coast (California) makes the trip a lot easier to do than if we live elsewhere.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:49 PM
theStudio Warhol

You go to Hawaii for 4 weeks vacation when you live in California? Mind boggling! And jealous!
I try for a week or so anywhere south in Jan or Feb. Usually the Mayan Riviera. We get only six hours of daylight during those months and if you don't go for a vitamin "D" fix you may not make it through to spring. Lol.

I've pulled back from professional sports as well, they are just games and all the strikes, wage disputes, profit mongers and often the promotions have left a bad taste in my mouth. Just my 2 cents.

I just want to kick this lingering cough from a month of pneumonia! Flu season in full swig here.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:56 AM
theStudio Designer

Flu season sucks. There is no question about that. Everything after that is cool though
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM
theStudio Designer

I find that since my kids are grown and on their own, I rarely get sick anymore! It used to be once September rolled around, something was caught and would go through the family. I haven't been sick in about two years, the last being when I caught something on my last day in Cuba at New Year's two years ago. That was a rotten plane ride home I tell you.

Marlie - I'm like you, I like a good dose of vitamin D - usually the end of January or early February. And I LOVE the Caribbean. It just makes Spring seem to come so much quicker. We don't have the snow and cold like you do in Alberta and I know what you mean about the fewer hours of sunshine in the winter. My brother lives in northern Manitoba and they get remnants of the "midnight sun". So they're in the dark in the winter, but the summer, it's 11:00 at night and still light out! At least there's a trade-off!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM
theStudio Designer

It's flu season here, too ... I'm just getting over a 3 week killer flu and still have that lingering cough, too. This time both kids and the hubby got it which is rare ... all 4 of us home from school/work sick and moaning to each other about how crummy we feel. Everyone is back to school/work now but still so tired.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 PM

OMG!!! I completely forgot to get us our flu shots before leaving ... wonder if Kaiser here will give them to us.

We've been religious about getting them ... especially for our youngest daughter who still lives with us even though she's probably the healthiest one. She has such a high threshold of pain, we can't risk her getting too sick. As a kid, she had a major ear infection and we didn't even know it until her eardrum ruptured ... even they she insisted it didn't hurt.

Marlie ... no way could I possibly live much further north than I already am. I'm not actually in "sunny" California ... I'm in Northern California ... but compared to you, it's sunny. I have seasonal effective disorder, so the number of daylight hours really wreaks havoc around our house when fall/winter comes along. Actually, for me it starts around the end of September and starts getting a bit better around the end of December when the days start getting a longer. Fortunately, between having a house with full-spectrum lights in every room and taking anti-depressants, things aren't nearly as bad as they were when I was younger and before it had been diagnosed ... seems folks just thought I was a b**ch (someone actually told me that years later).
Old 10-22-2013, 07:51 AM
theStudio Designer

We don't do the flu shot. The kids have never been sick with he Flu *knock on wood* and my poor husband has to get the shot every flipping year. It usually makes him VERY sick for a few days but he's such a tough buggar he keeps on moving. I've had the flu once in my life - at least..I think it was the flu...felt like I was run over by an 18 wheeler...then the butt head backed up just to make sure! Of course it happened when Rick was deployed LOL I am SUPER mom!!! Or something like that anyway!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:20 PM
theStudio Designer

We don't do the flu shot either but sometimes (like after a 3 week flu) I wonder if we should.

Hard to believe October is almost over!

Old 10-27-2013, 02:15 PM
theStudio Warhol

Alberta Health Services is recommending everyone get the flu shot this year. We're getting them this week! Better safe than sorry as it could be a different strain of flu.
I still have the cough also. Really a pain when your trying to sleep.

Ha ha Jill, that's what people say about me! I thought it was because I could see 50 at the bottom of the fill! Lol! That's why we all focus on that winter get away. If not we'd all go crazy!

My son just got over a 6 week ear infection. He's in junior high and they still bring home all the germs.

It's amazing what you can make yourself do when your a mom! I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 6 this time. My sister floors me with what she can do with 2 under 5, all sick and her husband deployed. Military wives are amazing!

We just got our first below zero temps and dump of snow today. Not going to stay thank goodness. Probably melt by Wednesday as the temps go up again.

We still have green grass and leaves on the trees!
Old 10-27-2013, 02:40 PM
theStudio Designer

Well I just believe I cursed myself by posting I haven't been sick in a few years! A couple days later, I caught the flu from guys at work that brought it in, and of course, they don't stay at home - so I've been out of commission for the last 4 days. Now I'm so behind on my projects. I forgot how lousy it is when you're sick. I can't get off the couch, but when I'm on it too long, I get a sore back. Can't win for losing.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:04 PM
theStudio Designer

Sorry to hear that Darlene ... that''s about the same place we're at here. We are all exhausted and can only do things in small bits before we need to sleep. Looking forward to it continuing to get better - hope you get better soon too!

It's crazy that our 'work ethic' demands that we all keep going to work unless we physicially can't move ... so we all take out bugs to work with us all the time.