Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Challenges and Contests > Freestyle Challenge

Freestyle Challenge Come play with Min of Deli Scraps by Min as you discover the inner artist within the digi-scrapper that is uniquely you; create with freedom, create with style! Be sure to share your LO's by posting them in the Freestyle Challenge Gallery

Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default Freestyle Challenge for February '08

Welcome, my dear family of Layout Artists! Are you ready for a daring challenge this month? And you thought that last month's was hard?! Hmmm... But first a couple of things about this Challenge and the Posting Bonuses...

What is Freestyle and how do you do that in a digital scrapping environment?

The art of Freestyling on a layout really sounds simple, but can be full of personal challenges to your usual layout style. Many pages are made by grabbing a sketch, template or quick-page, which is fine for people who have many photos, scrap by themes, etc., but with Freestyle Scrapping, you have none of the above.

What you do have is a blank canvas, minimal resources, a few photos, and your imagination. May I also add your dreams, heart’s desires and unique mode of expression that is yours alone? Because Freestyle Scrapping also invites you to demonstrate the emotions behind that photo, or that element, or that paper colour. Perhaps something happened yesterday that inspires you in an unpredictable way? Serendipity, spontaneity, deep soul-searching... all these and more can bring you inspiring moments for Freestyling a layout.

There's not much more to it than that. We will also look at specific elements of making a page into a stunning layout, so it will be a learning experience, too. If you are looking for a Challenge to improve or implement your own unique style to your layouts, a place to create with flourishes, doodles, journaling, art, anything that specifically says ‘you’ ~ then this is your new Challenge home!

Many of you chose to journal last month in addition to your initials and I was so happy to see that! This time I am also inviting you to tell us your thoughts, and to write at least a few meaningful words. I would like for you to create a really personal page relating to something that happened to you last year that had an emotional attachment to it. Yes, you read right: Emotion. Feelings. Sentiment. Intense. Touching. Heart-wrenching. A personal chronicle of your journey through it, if you like.

Why is she doing this, you ask? Because I listen to the news on tv and I see so much apathy. I wonder where all the caring and feeling has gone in the human heart? Granted, not all of humanity is like that, thank goodness! But since this month we have a special 'loving' day, let's bring some heart feelings into our layouts as well, shall we? I'd love to see yours... freely given, freely shared...

I would ask that you keep the following four points in mind while you create the Freestyle Challenge layout for this month:
1) Scrap a really personal page relating to something that happened to you last year that had an emotional attachment to it.
2) Use journaling to tell us your FEELINGS about what happened, or the result of this event.
3) Use the colour of the heart, RED or SCARLET, to illustrate the most beautiful caring energy we have: LOVE...

As a posting bonus, here is my Cross Your Heart contribution. You can visit and participate in the other SAS challenges to collect yourself a mega kit on this theme.

Please post your layout links in this forum to receive your posting bonus, and so we can leave it some love. Don't forget to give credit to any and all contributors to your layout!

And, lastly:
4) If you make your layout using one or more of the SAS designers’ kits found here in the Boutique, I will send you an ADD-ON bonus + the regular posting bonus! That means that other designers’ kits are welcome, but only the layouts with SAS Ladies’ kits will receive the ADD-ON.
Have Fun and come back soon to post your layouts!

Here is your Posting Bonus for this Challenge, Part the first:

For the extra Posting Bonus, I'll get back to you on that...
Old 02-01-2008, 04:50 AM
SAS-y Pearl

Oh wow, totally awesome challenge! I'll definately have to give this one some thought, but I'll be back with a layout for this challenge. :p
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
SAS-y Pearl

Wow, Stella....ask for our hearts, why dontcha? :-)

Old 02-02-2008, 01:21 AM
SAS-y Pebble

Well, here's mine:
My Year of 2007
Old 02-02-2008, 01:35 AM
theStudio Picasso

Default wow

Thank you so much for sharing, Ceejay! What a journey you have gone through ~ I wish you continued healing; your courage is inspirational. I have just a few things to add to my "Cross My Heart" Add-On so I hope you will be patient with me ~ won't be long until you get a pm from me, ok?

Last edited by Stella; 02-02-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:12 PM
SAS-y Girl

ok - here is mine..
http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...7556&nocache=1

]

My SAS Gallery
Old 02-02-2008, 04:27 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default Joselle ~

I haven't cried like this in a long time.. wow oh wow ...
There are no words to express my feelings whilst reading your layout, just tears. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for sharing this special, heart-wrenching time of your life. I'm so happy she made it! Your pm will appear tomorrow, ok?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 PM
theStudio Picasso

Two wonderful layouts like this make it really difficult for me to even contemplate this challenge with an unexciting life - read good, happy, etc. - last year.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default oh no...

Sharpli, don't you dare cop out of this one - LOL!!! :p
I want you to go back and read my intro to this thread ~ it says I would like for you to post layouts about an event or something that has some emotional ties to you, some feeling!
Feelings can be happy, delightful, abundant, good, delicious, and full of tears of joy... now...tell me: What's Holding You Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpli View Post
Two wonderful layouts like this make it really difficult for me to even contemplate this challenge with an unexciting life - read good, happy, etc. - last year.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default The Posting Bonus Part 2 ~ Delayed, Sorry!

Hi everyone ~
I am so sorry to say that it will be yet a couple of days (on Saturday, actually) until I can get the extra posting bonus uploaded on our server. Internet Provider issues - SO Sorry!!!
Meanwhile, though, I will get the first part to you asap, and I have the preview for the extra gift, just to give you an idea of what's in store. I sure hope you like it, after all this wait!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM
SAS-y Pearl

Here's mine: Life Change I didn't use red, though -- it's a happy color for me and this was just not anything near happy.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
SAS-y Gem

Here is mine. I did a LO of my Son
Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 AM
SAS-y Diamond

Stella, you never cease to amaze me. Loved the journey....

Courtney 2007
Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default You're the ones

...who never cease to amaze me! Thank you, Ladies, for those touching layouts that make my heart just burst. I feel honoured that you have shared these in this challenge... expect your pm today! I'm sorry it took me so long to respond; I've been busy making kits and it seems that I can only do one thing at a time lately! LOL!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:26 PM
theStudio Scribbler

First, Hats off to all of you who have overcome such mountains.
My journalling is so petty - but luckily - nothing dramatic happened in my life last year - Thank You Lord.
I have been working hard to pursue my AAS since 2001 - Yes, 2001. I had not taken an Algebra class in 30 years so had to take a remedial class - and then sat out a semester to get more money - and since I did not take the "TAKS" test had to retake the remedial Algebra - or not be able to take anyother class - what a stupid way to make money. ANYWAY - I had to take - classes as money and time was available and computer classes were 4 hours each - so at times I could only take 4 classes - which was a full load for this old woman. ANYWAY. I finally accomplished the first half - just in time - cause my youngest will start taking classes this spring - and that gets tough - doing tuition for us both - plus books.

So, thanks for the challenge - but my hat off to all you ladies who have endured the HARD things in life.

http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...5&limit=recent
Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 AM
SAS-y Pebble

here's mine: http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...8258&nocache=1

i haven't visited anyone else's yet - i had a really hard time wth this. im on my way to the gallery now!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 PM
theStudio Picasso

Well, I tried to find something that was more akin to earlier layouts - but 2007 was a really good year for our family. Having everyone gather to help Wendy celebrate her birthday was a real treat. She began planning her party when she turned 39 in California with only her son to help celebrate. She invited family and friends to join her at Disneyworld and we had 16 people enjoying dinner at the Caliornia Grill. What a wonderful evening.
(of course, it ended with DGD Caroline breaking her arm, but that's another story!).

http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...2&limit=recent
Old 02-16-2008, 04:34 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default To all of you...I left you comments and...

~ No, Photomama, your journaling is not petty! It is great! One thing I've learned is not to compare when it comes to one's personal experiences, as each person's journey is totally different from everybody else's. You've definitely accomplished a huge goal for yourself - and this challenge! - and that is the most important thing! Thank you for sharing with us what you went through...

~ Movefearlessly... You've chosen your name very well. I admire your courage and your heart change, your letting go... that is real strength and bravery!!! I wish you continued healing along your journey. And Welcome to SAS!

~ Sharpli ~ What a planning project that must've been! You've captured the gathering beautifully in your layout, and I want to thank you for your participation.

I want to thank all three of you for sharing with us your life challenges! They are precious reminders that though our struggle may be individual, by sharing it, we enter other people's hearts and they can identify with us ~ that's how we can all belong to the greater human family.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
SAS-y Gem

Default Rick

Here is my LO:

http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...8&limit=recent
Old 02-20-2008, 04:24 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default Thank you

... for sharing your experience about Rick with us! What a scare that must've been. Expect pm soon...