Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 12-27-2013, 04:33 AM
the Studio Admin Team Member

Default Challenge suggestions for 2014

The end of the year is rapidly approaching and January is just around the corner. Where has the year gone!

I'll be away for quite a bit of January and therefore I won't be offering my usual Variety Challenge. BUT in the meantime I would love for you to suggest what sort of challenge/s you would like to see here at the Studio. What attracts you to a challenge? What motivates you to participate? Is it important to you to receive a participation gift? I would be very keen to hear your thoughts/ideas/suggestions. Be as specific as you wish; I value your input on this.

Thank you, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:30 AM
theStudio CT

Default Re: Challenge suggestions for 2014

Well, first of all, I LOVE your variety challenge! I love challenges that make us think outside the box and maybe learn something new in digi scrapbooking that we never did before, or something that we haven't used for a long time (ex: color isolation)
My second favorite is any type of photography challenge, even where you have to do something to your photo to change it. OR---do something different with your photos in your layout. One site had you put a Christmas tree in your layout and then add photos of family or loved ones all over the tree.
Among other favorites are Scraplift, Template, Font, and Theme challenges.
Whether or not there is a gift does not matter. I just love the challenges!!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Chit Cat

I enjoy doing the challenges. I don't look for a gift with it. I feel the % off is great as a gift. Every month I try to do a couple of them, but always the recipe challenge. I love to learn something new, like when the siggy was done. I use PSP and so most of the time I need to convert instructions into what will work for me. But that in itself is lots of fun. I love the scraplift type. That allows me to learn to do something in PSP that someone did in PS. So again it is learning something new and having fun with it. Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 02:28 PM
theStudio Picasso

Great suggestions, Nancy and Rose. I would love to see the siggy challenge back again. It forces you to learn to work in a small space with less. I do like having to think outside the box as many of your past challenges have been.

Don't need to receive a prize for the challenge unless it is part of doing it [like the Less Is More or Color Challenge minis]. It would be nice to have a place in the forum to show off some of the LOs that we do using Studio Designer kits that don't fall with in the needs of a challenge. I have put some in the gallery - but don't think that most people look there to see LOs - they tend to just look at the challenge galleries.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:50 PM
theStudio CT

Oh, Bright Eyes, I so agree!!! There are so many deserving kits here that need to be shown, but if you just do a layout because you simply want to use that kit, no one really sees it.
SOOOOO----how about "Your Favorite Kit" challenge!!!! It could even have a theme or a little twist to it like, use a kit with a tree in it etc etc. Any other ideas on how to get all those great kits shown?????
Old 12-28-2013, 12:23 PM
theStudio Picasso

The variety challenge is great, I love to see everybody's photos ... it's a great learning and teaching exercise as well as getting me to look at my own photos in different ways...I'm not sure what a scraplift challenge is. I joined this fall and haven't seen one yet...if we received something for doing the challenge I feel it is a very cool bonus...if I wanted to see another challenge maybe something that uses photoshop (or PSP) manipulation, something that we learn from. Learning is why I do the challenges. It also centers what I do know and can do and makes me aware of the knowledge I now have.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:32 PM
theStudio CT

SuCanDo, a scraplift is when whoever is giving the challenge chooses a layout from the gallery and you have to scraplift it. In other words, you make your own layout making it similar to the one she has chosen.

Here is a layout by ScrappinRae:
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...road-home.html

Here is my layout scraplifted from her layout. Notice I turned my layout so mine is all in the lower left corner. It is also a bit different as far as the elements go, but the idea of the layout is the same. You take someone's layout and make it your own. Just be sure to give the the other person credit that you scraplifted your layout from hers. They are a lot of fun to do!

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...mas-magic.html
Old 12-29-2013, 02:55 AM
theStudio Monet

It's a great idea to ask us whay we like to do, perhaps more will get involved in that way, not that a lot don't get involved anyway in challenges on this site....

I like the idea of using a favourite kit that you have bought in the previous month. With me I have started putting the kits I have bought in December in a folder with that month and year and will follow with the months ahead, specifically that helops me to back up my files easier, but you know what you have bought and when. So your favourite is an excellent idea.

I like scraplifts, love the white space challenge, I also like unthemed challenges as I get disappointed if I can't participate in a challenge for the month with a holiday i don't celebrate, for instance halloween....I understand that you would use that theme, but as long as there is an alternative.

I also like question answer challenges, IE: have a list of say 5 questions, and we scrap about it with the answers.

Hope that helps

Oh, in other places I have seen a designer spotlight kind of thing, the host will highlight 1 designer and you must use her kits for the challenge, during the month they usually offer a % of their kits and also give a $5 or $10 gift voucher for a winner, I think it is good for sales as it's a real incentive to win the prize.

I am not really interested in any kind of prize really, however for a hefty one like that, that would get my interest.

ps lol I did a challenge the other day, which was "Use this cluster" I loved that and loved the results of the LO, check it out here in the gallery

Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 AM
theStudio CT

Beautiful layout, Kaye! And, yes, I like element challenges! I like Snickerdoodles Border challenge which makes you really think. And thanks for mentioning the White Space challenge! Forgot about that one and it is another of my favorites!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Chit Cat

I have an other suggestion for the challenges, but this is for those of us that participate. This might not be the best place to leave this, but I thought it might reach people this way. Have you ever worked really hard on a page, put it into a challenge, hoped people would love it, then wondered if anyone ever saw it? When I put a page into the gallery (if in a challenge or not) I love to read the comments. So when I work a challenge, I try to comment on the pages submitted for that challenge. I am always amazed by how many pages are there with no comments on them. Some of these pages are fantastic and supply me with wonderful ideas. Some are just great to look at. I can't comment on every page posted in the gallery, but if I do a challenge I try to leave comments. Just remember - it should be the type of comment you would like to receive. It just might make someone's day!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM
theStudio CT

Well, lets have a "comment" challenge, with a prize to the one with the most comments---and a comment, to me, is at least 3 words or more. We could do this once a month with a prize given at the end of the month to the one who leaves the most comments. I ran a challenge like this once on another site, and I'll give you a tip if we do this---of course, copy the layout heading (not the actual layout) to the thread and group them by 10 and then leave a space and start your next ten, or, number each one. What a job I had counting those that didn't do this!!! Its a fun challenge and folks get LOTS of comments!!!! We could even do this once every other month.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 PM
theStudio Warhol

I believe one of our favorite Challenges is Progressive Scrap with Min, I really enjoy trying to make a LO with the items that Min chooses for us to use each month.
I know there are a lot of our group members would really miss not having the Progressive Scrap each month.
Hugs,
marilynnay
Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 AM
theStudio Picasso

I love all the challenges and I'm also amazed at how few comments there are in the galleries. I tend not to know what to say, don't want to repeat others' comments, and my nerve damaged hands and fingers are finding it more and more difficult to type - so when I leave a short comment just know that there's more I would type. ATC challenges are fun. I really like the "artistic" aspect of them. I am horrible at making clusters so that would be a good exercise. Getting a prize for completing a challenge is not important to me. I am thankful for everyone who puts so much work into the challenges and keeping a site like this going ... the gifts from designers and members are really appreciated, too.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Chit Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannieEv View Post
I love all the challenges and I'm also amazed at how few comments there are in the galleries. I tend not to know what to say, don't want to repeat others' comments, and my nerve damaged hands and fingers are finding it more and more difficult to type - so when I leave a short comment just know that there's more I would type. ATC challenges are fun. I really like the "artistic" aspect of them. I am horrible at making clusters so that would be a good exercise. Getting a prize for completing a challenge is not important to me. I am thankful for everyone who puts so much work into the challenges and keeping a site like this going ... the gifts from designers and members are really appreciated, too.
I think that even a small "I like this' comment is so very appreciated by anyone. The challenges for the most comments are fun, but saying something just because you really mean it means so much more. I agree that a cluster challenge with a few great instructions would be a great idea. Like you, I am so grateful for all the hard work these talented ladies put into the site. A great big thank you to all of you. I have been hanging out around here for years and look forward to my morning visit each and every day.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:05 PM
theStudio Designer

I love hearing all your input - and what a great topic of conversation Robyn has opened up. I totally agree with the comments in the gallery. I see such beautiful LOs with no comments, and I feel so sad. I know some designers are so busy at times and I'm sure some members as well. Myself, I do try and put aside some time every week to go into the gallery and look at all the beautiful LOs. It has been hard the last few weeks, but it's a new year after today! With working full time, designing and freelancing from home, I really have to plan my weeks well because I have to "sleep" in between as well! But of course, I wouldn't have it any other way!

I'm also glad to hear that a lot of you do the challenges for the sake of challenges and don't necessarily need a gift. It's for the fun and creativity. A lot of you state it would be nice to learn things in the challenges and I totally get that. I STILL want to learn things - it's never-ending. I'm going to put my thinking cap on and perhaps I'll change up my LESS IS MORE challenge in the new year. It's so great to hear your opinions, and also, that some of the more "traditional" challenges are still popular and will probably never fade away.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM
theStudio CT

Well, I just want to jump in here (again) and give a great big THANK YOU and round of applause to all you ladies who put so much time and effort into these great challenges!!! You make it so much fun here for all of us!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:10 PM
theStudio Monet

Here here Nancy! I very much appreciate the effort you give, and the time is your precious spare tme that you give for free.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:15 PM
theStudio Monet

Here here Nancy! I very much appreciate the effort you give, and the time is your precious spare tme that you give for free.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:35 PM
theStudio Picasso

Thumbs up Re: Challenge suggestions for 2014

Your comments are really interesting to read and hope mine is too.
I love different challenges because you learn something different esp.
when you are not an expert in scrapbooking like me.
Minīs challenge somehow reminds me on playing Scrabble. At the end of the
Game you must think hard where to put the missing parts.
With the White Space Challenge I learn to focus on a few parts so there is
some space left in the end.
Photography is great as usually I love to take pics when my Camera Software
is working .....
Colour Challenge is too use just the colours in the palette and so on.
I am actually busy enough with the Challenges I take part but if someone has
an interesting suggestion, why not !?!?
Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 PM
theStudio Artist

Interesting comments so far. I think I might have a different perspective ...

For me, I don't necessarily need a payout to do a challenge, BUT uploading and linking are not fun, so if there's no payout, I don't go through all that work all the time. Sometimes I'll do the challenge, but I don't upload it if there's not an "monetary" incentive.

Payout to me means actual money to spend in the store. I cannot EVER use a % off coupon ... DH has been out of work for a very long time. Food sometimes feels like a luxury lol. So, I don't buy scrapping supplies -- I can't. I work hard to earn them. I enter contests to win kits. I'm on a couple of CTs. I participate in a lot of challenges (108 last month!).

I always like use-it-all challenges, template challenges, font challenges, lyrics/quote challenges, journal prompts, and challenges that teach a new technique.

[For the record, I download freebies ONLY if I will use them, because I'm not trying to just be a taker. And if I've downloaded a free kit for a challenge, then I always upload my LO out of respect for the designer and to show my appreciation. I try really hard to show my appreciation for the freebies or kits I've earned by uploading to multiple places when possible.]