Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > Household & Family Tips n Tricks

Household & Family Tips n Tricks What's going on in your life? Got some tips and tricks that you have learned along the way that make life run a little smoother? Are you looking for tips and tricks to help you along the way? Post those tips and tricks here or request help with a burning issue in your life.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:42 AM
SAS-y Pearl

Default How to clean a leather couch

We got an Italian leather couch a few years ago. I really like it except for one thing: it's cream colored. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem since it goes with just about any decor. But with 2 kids and a puppy, it doesn't stay clean very long. Dirt and grime gets into the small grooves in the leather and discolors it. After a couple of years of trying everything in the book to clean it, I finally discovered a solution.

I tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser found at the grocery store. I used to use it on our walls when my son was going through the stage where he drew pictures with crayons there. I took a bowl of water and mild dish detergent and some paper towels. I put the Eraser in the mixture, wrung out the water, and lightly went over the couch. Then I wiped up the excess water and dirt with a towel. It was amazing what the difference was. (Always test a small patch somewhere on the couch that is unnoticeable before trying to clean it like this. Some leathers may react differently than others.)
Old 02-04-2008, 11:18 PM
theStudio Picasso

I tried that but the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would fall apart on me. You don't have that problem?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 AM
SAS-y Pearl

When I first did it, the eraser would fall apart because I was scrubbing back and forth. Now I just scrub in one direction, pick it up, and start at the same spot scrubbing in one direction. It seems to work better for me that way. Also, make sure it is damp enough. If it's not wet, it's going to fall apart more easily.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:02 AM
theStudio Picasso

We have light colored ceramic tile in our home. I thought it was clean, but you should see how much cleaner it looks after using the Magic Eraser. Those things are awesome - but be prepared to use several of them in the course of a large project.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Default Re: How to clean a leather couch

Oh! i do hope we can get that here in Australia.

many thanks
maggie
Old 03-27-2010, 08:46 AM
theStudio Designer

Default Re: How to clean a leather couch

You can get them at Woolies and coles Maggie, I'm in Sydney !!

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason