Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 AM
theStudio CT

Default Need PSE 11 help

A DEAR friend of mine just sent me PSE 11 and I am thrilled. Unfortunately I am going from 8 to 11 and I am totally lost!

I hope I can explain this right. Say I bring up 5 elements on to the PSE 8 workspace. They are all there usually staggered so you can see part of each one. I then just click the little minus sign in the upper right hand corner and they pop down into the photo bin. Now I can drag up whichever one I want to use on my layout.

In PSE 11, if I bring up 5 elements, they stack on top of one another. You only see the last one you brought up. There is no way I can get to the other 4 elements stacked underneath unless I delete the one on top. There is also no minus sign to click to get them down into the Photo Bin.

So this is as far as I can get. I brought 5 elements on to my PSE 11 workspace and that's it. I don't know what to do next to move them????

HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 03:43 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default Re: Need PSE 11 help

Hi Nancy,

I am not sure how much help I will be since I use Scrapbook Max 2.0 for most of my layout designing. I just recently downloaded the trial version of PSE 12 to see if I like it, and it is to my understanding that 11 & 12 are not that much different. I noticed from using version 12 that there is an easy way to bring in your elements from a folder. When you are in the photo editor make sure you are in Expert Mode if you have that option, then you can use layers to do your designing. To get elements from your folders go to FILE>PLACE to bring them into your layout. This drops it right into your layout at a reduced size so you can see what you are working on, and then you can move the layers from there. I find PSE12 to be much different than Photoshop 7 that I own, with respect to opening elements and placing them. In Photoshop 7 I am able to use FILE>OPEN, which opens up a mimimized file, and then I drag that document into my layout that I am working on. I have not yet figured out how to minimize in PSE12. I found the FILE>PLACE command to be very easy to use. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:51 PM
theStudio CT

Thank you for your help. After I saw that 25 people had looked at this I was losing hope that there was an answer. Unfortunately, using Place still stacks them up so that I only see the top one and I don't know how to move it. To explain further, I brought up one element. The element is now on my workspace. It is also showing up in the Photo Bin and the Layers Palette. My question is----how do I get it off my workspace so I can bring up another one or start working on a layout? Everything I bring up just sits there on my workspace stacked on top of the one I brought up before. I've been watching all sorts of tutorials and have sure learned a lot about 11, but none of the tutorials have addressed this issue. I'm off now to try YouTube!! Wish me luck!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:56 PM
the Studio Admin Team Member

Nancy, I would have been one of the people who looked at the thread, but as I don't have PSE I am unable to help you.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:18 PM
theStudio Picasso

I use PSE 11 and I think you have a setting issue .... can you see the icon for your photo bin? .. it should be at the bottom along with tool options, undo, redo, layout and organizer .... you may have it in a different layout setting ... click that icon and click 'default' .... that should take you to what you want to see ... you may have to then click the photo bin to actually see the thumbs which you can now pull up into your main image document .... feel free to email me if you have questions
Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 PM
theStudio CT

KAREN (SNICKERDOODLE) wins the golden trophy!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!! I am talking to her on gmail as I type. She had me go to PREFERENCES and make sure "Allow Floating Documents in Expert Mode" was checked and that "Enable Floating Document Window Docking" was Unchecked! Of course, mine were NOT! They were just the opposite! I changed things around and, POOF----problem solved!! I'm typing all this in case anyone else runs into this problem. HUGS TO KAREN, and thank you all for your wonderful concern and support!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 AM
theStudio Designer

Sometimes it's just the tiniest things that cause the biggest, most confusing problems, isn't it! So glad you are up and running. You will really like PSE 11 once you get used to it, I'm sure!

Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM
theStudio Picasso

I knew it had to be a settings issue .... didn't think of preferences lol ... glad you got it solved and thanks for letting us know what the solution was