Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb
Default Re: WARNING -- Using this action is addicting!!!

I originally made the start files tifs because I also prefer my "templates" to be tifs ... but with the feedback I got from some of my testers, I decided to make them psd.

You can actually use any file type ... in fact, you can use other "templates" ... just make sure that the canvas size is 3600x3600dpi and the flower size is approximately 1500x1500x300dpi.

I am SO impressed with all that I'm seeing and I definitely have something in the works to make it easier to make the 2 layered flowers ... including two different flower styles (start files) and/or two different papers. I'm hoping to get this done sometime in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash Empress View Post
BTW, does the "starter" file always have to be a .psd file???? I'm just wondering cuz I always convert my .psd files to .tif format to save space. Would the action work if the starter was a .tif file? Also wondering -- since its just one layer --- why does it have to be a .psd & not just a .png????? Or would the action not work on a .png starter????
Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 PM

That probably would be tricky if you're trying to get a good quality extraction. There might be a way to do it using an alpha channel and probably something I should look into ... soon ... but not too soon ... unless my "boss" tells me it better be soon ... ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiny View Post
Idea! Can someone try? Because while I have the action (LOL!) I don't have the time to test it out.

I think you can do a sheer lace flower, if you have a sheer lace paper (PNG), add a bright red background then run the action. Then play with mask/color range to select & delete the bright red. There should be enough contrast to do it fairly easily & clean. Yes?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 PM
the Studio Admin Team Member

"Something in the works". That sounds interesting Jill!!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 PM

SO glad to see it's working ... and there was only one issue ... it's the step where you "merge" 3 layers and I didn't do it in a way that was compatible with different languages. SO happy to see you were able to make it work!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles View Post
I purchased the action and it works great in my German Photoshop. It was easy to adjust, I only had to rename 1 step (I believe it was step 11)

Old 02-28-2014, 09:26 PM

Thus my warning ...

Quote:
roflol! Oh yessssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
OH YEAH!!!!! So let's get this straight... every new kit that comes out in the next 6 years will have lots & lots & LOTS of paper flowers, right????

Stash Empress,
I think you are going to be right with that prediction!!!
Awesome flowers that you made!!!!!!! I am totally impressed!!
I am hoping to spend some time this weekend (???) playing with this action. Thanks for including such detailed "instructions" on how you made your awesome -- or shall I say totally groovy! -- flowers!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:52 PM
theStudio Picasso

Certainly got my attention! This action sounds great
Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM
theStudio Designer

OMG, it even works with my Folded Paper Flowers templates?! How cool is that *lol*
--->

Old 03-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Pure AWESOMENESS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu79 View Post
OMG, it even works with my Folded Paper Flowers templates?! How cool is that *lol*
--->

Old 03-01-2014, 07:51 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilbert View Post
i am so impressed with all that i'm seeing and i definitely have something in the works to make it easier to make the 2 layered flowers ... Including two different flower styles (start files) and/or two different papers. I'm hoping to get this done sometime in march.
do you need any more testers????????????????????
Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 PM
theStudio Artist

OMG -- YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a number of false starts I finally got it right. (At first I was making a new document & pulling the flower into it -- and I guess didn't have the correct layer selected cuz I kept getting messages like "clipping mask not available" & so on). So I started this time with a ribbon bow & made the image size 5" x 5" & the canvas size 12" x 12" & this time it worked!

The bow is a purchased CU item, the paper & button are my own (from a kit I made last year in a class on another forum).

Would love to see what else you have in the works!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:11 PM

I did some playing with some lace I found ... not sure if I like this or not, but then it could have been the paper I was using. The lace definitely is transparent ... and probably a small print.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:13 PM

All you really need is the right dimensions to start with and a template that has good shading. I've been thinking about making some flower with gray paper and extracting them to see how well they would work.

Quote:

OMG -- YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a number of false starts I finally got it right. (At first I was making a new document & pulling the flower into it -- and I guess didn't have the correct layer selected cuz I kept getting messages like "clipping mask not available" & so on). So I started this time with a ribbon bow & made the image size 5" x 5" & the canvas size 12" x 12" & this time it worked!

The bow is a purchased CU item, the paper & button are my own (from a kit I made last year in a class on another forum).

Would love to see what else you have in the works!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:30 PM

Rather than hog the Designer News thread any longer, I decided to move our discussion here ...
Old 03-02-2014, 12:09 AM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
I did some playing with some lace I found ... not sure if I like this or not, but then it could have been the paper I was using. The lace definitely is transparent ... and probably a small print.

So pretty! Was the lace a transparent png file? Cuz when I used one, I got it with the dark grey background of the starter file behind the lace pattern.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:35 AM
theStudio Owner

Yeah, I'm curious on how you got the lace to stay transparent too.

I love the ribbon flower! It looks fantastic!!!

my email
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 AM
theStudio Designer

LOVE LOVE LOVE all of the flowers that I am seeing here. I was one of the lucky ones that tested this action for Jill, and I told her it was going to take us all by storm! How MANY times have we all wanted a flower to match the papers we are using? A gazillion times, for me, I can tell you!

Just wanted to let you know that I am working on some PNG lace for us, and Jill is working on getting the action to output the png lace flower with transparency. Stay tuned!!!!!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 AM

you want me to give away my secrets ... LOL!!! Actually, the hardest part is finding the lace (as Karen will tell you). I ran the action up to just before merging the two layers. I duplicated the lace and merged one of the lace layers with the start flower. Then loaded the copy, selected the merged flower, created a mask with the selection and deleted the copy.

The issue is that the shading on the start flower, which I tried to keep somewhat subtle for use with papers, pretty much gets lost with the lace. It could have been the size of the lace pattern, but will have to experiment some more with larger lace patterns. What I did after the fact is add more distinct shadowing and even that barely shows.

All this pretty much goes to show my point, while my action is the bees knees, the real story is the shading on the start flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiny View Post
Yeah, I'm curious on how you got the lace to stay transparent too.

I love the ribbon flower! It looks fantastic!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:46 PM
theStudio Picasso

looks amazing....oh my poor wallet...I might 'need' some other templates!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu79 View Post
--->

Old 03-02-2014, 04:50 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
you want me to give away my secrets ... LOL!!! Actually, the hardest part is finding the lace (as Karen will tell you). I ran the action up to just before merging the two layers. I duplicated the lace and merged one of the lace layers with the start flower. Then loaded the copy, selected the merged flower, created a mask with the selection and deleted the copy.

The issue is that the shading on the start flower, which I tried to keep somewhat subtle for use with papers, pretty much gets lost with the lace. It could have been the size of the lace pattern, but will have to experiment some more with larger lace patterns. What I did after the fact is add more distinct shadowing and even that barely shows.

All this pretty much goes to show my point, while my action is the bees knees, the real story is the shading on the start flowers.
Its ok, you didn't give away any secrets -- cuz I have *no clue* how to do... whatever it was you said you did!

My skill set extends as far as clicking the start button.... (actually I'm using the action in PSE11 & didn't load in action player, but rather in effects -- so I can't even stop at any point in the middle --- if I do, then it just cancels the whole thing that its done so far --- so I have to just run to the end, pick any old button for the center -- AND make sure to save as png or even at that point I lose the whole thing --- the only way I can be left with a layered file that I can "play with" is after I've saved the png & the action is completed. I supposed if I would load it in action player instead, I would have more leeway & be able to stop the action at any point to do stuff... but then I really don't know what I'd do anyway... )