Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Chit Cat

Default Re: April Random Chatter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootscrapper View Post
Ok I am going to get this chatter thread really active with some different questions, seeing as you all are in bed....or should be in bed (Nancy)

1. What attracted you to digital scrapbooking in the first place?
When I retired, I wanted to find a way to use my Corel Draw skills. That is a program I used a lot at my work. Also I was on a mission. I had scrapped about half of our 30+ years of photos. I was pulled into using Paint Shop Pro (an other Corel product) for the layouts. Now I use both in my scrapping. An other thing that I loved about digi is that I had a whole room of supplies for paper scrapping. Now it is almost all on my hard drive. I purchased a wide format printer and 12x18 photo paper and still print out my lay outs to put into books. The 12x18 allows me to print 12x12 and have paper to print the photos on too. All of those excuses aside, now I think I am just obsessed.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
theStudio Warhol

I am excited because this is the first time that I have the time and inspiration to participate in the challenges. March Mini Madness has been a blast! Two more days to go, so then I can concentrate more on April.
I LOVE The Studio and feel very much at home here. Thanks, everyone!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrose View Post
I was pulled into using Paint Shop Pro (an other Corel product) for the layouts.
I use Paint Shop Pro too, an older version (9). We are two among the many Photoshop users here. I wonder if there are others?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Chit Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadow View Post
I use Paint Shop Pro too, an older version (9). We are two among the many Photoshop users here. I wonder if there are others?
I have found some over time. I love PSP and Corel Draw. I use 15 now. But, I started with 7.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
theStudio CT

When I was a paper scrapper I though digi scrapping was the lazy way of doing things. Then I visited a friend in Kansas for 2 weeks and she took me through the in's and out's of digi scrapping and I was hooked!! I crossed over to the dark side and never looked back!!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:20 AM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
I crossed over to the dark side and never looked back!!!!
lol...
Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 AM
theStudio Designer

I was a die hard paper scrapper but I was a Creative Memories consultant. We sold a digital scrapbooking software and I needed to learn it so I could help customers with it. And then it was all downhill from there.

Quote:
Ok I am going to get this chatter thread really active with some different questions, seeing as you all are in bed....or should be in bed (Nancy)

1. What attracted you to digital scrapbooking in the first place?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 AM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
I have found some over time. I love PSP and Corel Draw. I use 15 now. But, I started with 7.
I have PSP 10, 12, and 13, I don't care for any of them, so I'm sticking with 9. I also use Corel Painter, but that's a whole other story.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 AM
theStudio Designer

I wish we had a 'like' button on these threads!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:35 AM
theStudio Warhol

A "like" button would be nice...
I started paper scrapping in 1998. My Sis-in-Law got me started by "only doing our wedding album" -- yeah, right. I started buying like crazy!! I told my DH that I was buying now so I'd have everything I could ever need when I retire. Well, now that I'm retired and I'm scrapping digitally-- fooled him, huh?
Luckily I'm a stamper, too - a Stampin' Up! consultant - so I can use the papers and embellishments for that. However, I have more paper than I could ever use in my lifetime!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM
theStudio Monet

I'm enjoying seeing all your answers to my questions, sadly i won't have too much time to chat over the next..week!! arghh can't see reaching 1000 lol my romantic weekend has been pushed back a few days though so we can finish a work job!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Chit Cat

Quote:
I have PSP 10, 12, and 13, I don't care for any of them, so I'm sticking with 9. I also use Corel Painter, but that's a whole other story.
Every time they send me something about painter, I think about it. I even took a webinar about it. I paint in oil and acrylics, quilt, make all of our cards and am just now finishing our family calendar for next year. My husband says that if I find one more thing to what he calls "play around with" I may never come out of my office. He may be right. But, oh wow, painter looks like so much fun.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM
theStudio Monet

I use art rage and quite like using that....still working my way around it but having fun in the process

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

I was just going to mention Art Rage ... LOVE it. I especially love using it on my iPad using my Nomad stylus (which acts like a brush and has brush hairs). I record what I'm doing on my iPad and replay it on my computer at a higher resolution. Definitely in art AND geek heaven ...

PLUS, the price is a lot less than Painter even though I still eye it every once in a while ... BUT I'm a Mac user and Corel is not very friendly towards Apple products.

Quote:
I use art rage and quite like using that....still working my way around it but having fun in the process
Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Every time they send me something about painter, I think about it. I even took a webinar about it. I paint in oil and acrylics, quilt, make all of our cards and am just now finishing our family calendar for next year. My husband says that if I find one more thing to what he calls "play around with" I may never come out of my office. He may be right. But, oh wow, painter looks like so much fun.
Painter has brushes that are so much like real media it's truly amazing, however it is pricey. On the other hand it's the only program which can do exactly what it does. There is a rather steep learning curve, although for me that's a good thing because I teach it to beginners. Without the steep learning curve I'd be out of a job. lol
Old 04-04-2014, 10:36 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilbert View Post
I was just going to mention Art Rage ... LOVE it. I especially love using it on my iPad using my Nomad stylus (which acts like a brush and has brush hairs). I record what I'm doing on my iPad and replay it on my computer at a higher resolution. Definitely in art AND geek heaven ...

PLUS, the price is a lot less than Painter even though I still eye it every once in a while ... BUT I'm a Mac user and Corel is not very friendly towards Apple products.
Yes, Art Rage is a lot less expensive than Painter, and it's a very nice program, but it still can't do what Painter can. On the other hand unless you're really serious about painting, Art Rage would be the way to go. (Don't tell Corel I said that.) Re Corel and Mac, I don't know about their other programs, but in the case of Painter the Mac architecture is so different from that of Windows (especially since Mavericks was released), that the time investment ratio to Mac users may not be worth it to Corel...and of course Apple releases a new OS practically every year. As an online instructor of Painter, this is something which causes a lot of problems for me because my lessons cover both platforms. The Mac users really have my sympathy.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:06 PM
theStudio Warhol

started with PSP 9 but couldn't figure it out
went to PSE - now use PSE 10
i do have psp 12 too - only use to convert psp tubes to png .
one thing i dont like is that there is no layer mask like photshop has - cant scrap without it.
Angelique's Scraps , Bee creations, Desclics, Ilonka's Scrapbook designs, JuliEnriquez Designs ,Kastagnette , kittyscrap , Laitha's Designs, Le petit Scrap, lins creations, mellye creations, Lady R designs, Pat's Scrap, S Designs, Sarayane, Scrap'Angie, E-scape and scrap, and Pickleberry pop
http://www.pinterest.com/zanthia5/
http://scrapstacks.com/zanthia
http://www.cooperslittlecorner.blogspot.com/
Old 04-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Don't I know that ... I fight with my husband (I'm the IT girl as in system administrator for the house) ... he's always wanting to upgrade and I keep telling him to wait until all the bugs are worked out. But then again, he mainly does Facebook stuff ...

I could probably fill this entire thread with all the reasons I went with Apple, but I don't want anyone's head to explode. There are things I completely love and there are things that really tick me off. Fortunately, the things I love far out weight the things I hate.

I began my computer life using Unix ... actually, it was Sun O/S, but Unix was still hiding there. When I changed jobs, I was forced to use a Mac (I kept asking people where I was suppose to type in the commands). Once I settled down (and actually added software that would let me type in commands), I learned to appreciate the Mac.

I worked with a lot of scarey smart scientists ... they didn't have time to learn how to make a PC do what they wanted ... they just wanted to do their job ... and the Mac let them do that. And now ... I'm rambling/preaching ... just what I didn't want to do.

btw -- I still want Painter ... I had it when I was still working for a living ... just haven't been able to convince myself that I still want it ... but I keep trying.

Quote:
Yes, Art Rage is a lot less expensive than Painter, and it's a very nice program, but it still can't do what Painter can. On the other hand unless you're really serious about painting, Art Rage would be the way to go. (Don't tell Corel I said that.) Re Corel and Mac, I don't know about their other programs, but in the case of Painter the Mac architecture is so different from that of Windows (especially since Mavericks was released), that the time investment ratio to Mac users may not be worth it to Corel...and of course Apple releases a new OS practically every year. As an online instructor of Painter, this is something which causes a lot of problems for me because my lessons cover both platforms. The Mac users really have my sympathy.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:56 PM

Gee ... it's suddenly quiet here ... didn't mean to do that.

I do have a question about Painter that I'm sure our expert (nightshadow) can answer for me ... How well does it do watercolors? I realize that's a tough one but it's my medium of choice (when I actually use real paint). If I could get even close, I would definitely think harder about getting Painter (plus a new wacom ... mine's an inexpensive one that does recognize stylus pressure).
Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 PM
theStudio Monet

Jill, how well do you think artrage actually works, mine is a lot of trial and error, but I do like some results...I just really don't know what I am doing properly...and I hate reading instructions, which is too bad for me lol

Did you, or do you ever make any embies with it?