Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 04-07-2014, 12:03 AM
theStudio Monet

Default Re: April Random Chatter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilbert View Post
Gee ... it's suddenly quiet here ... didn't mean to do that.

I do have a question about Painter that I'm sure our expert (nightshadow) can answer for me ... How well does it do watercolors? I realize that's a tough one but it's my medium of choice (when I actually use real paint). If I could get even close, I would definitely think harder about getting Painter (plus a new wacom ... mine's an inexpensive one that does recognize stylus pressure).
Watercolors is where Painter shines!!! I cannot emphasize enough what a fantastic job this program does with that particular medium. Now keep in mind, I am just now beginning to learn to use real media watercolors so I am no expert, but a couple of my Painter enthusiast friends, Karen Bonaker and Skip Allen do beautiful digi watercolors with Painter. Karen is not only a digi watercolorist but she also paints with the real thing so she knows what she is doing (unlike me...lol...I'm more of a teacher than an artist). Both Skip and Karen have made special custom brushes for watercolor. Let me go hunting for some links and get back to you.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 AM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthia View Post
one thing i dont like is that there is no layer mask like photshop has - cant scrap without it.
PSP has layer masks, what it doesn't have are clipping masks, but I still can't figure out exactly what a clipping mask does. Maybe someone can explain it. How is a clipping mask any different than creating a selection of a shape you want to make into an element on it's own layer, then placing the layer over the paper you want to use for the element, inverting the selection and then hitting the delete (or for Mac the backspace) key? Is it just a case of one less step or is it actually something quite different?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:34 AM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadow View Post
Watercolors is where Painter shines!!!
Jill, I forgot all about my friend Joan Hamilton who went from being an accomplished watercolorist with real media to an accomplished watercolorist with digital, i.e., Painter, and this was before the most current version. Here is a link to here blog:
http://www.joanahamilton.com/art/

I think her paintings are exquisite.

...and here is Skip Allen's watercolor gallery. Everything here is digital. As you can see Skip has many different styles because he is "the great experimenter". He is also very adept at creating specialty custom brushes for Painter.

http://skipallenpaints.com/watercolor-gallery/

Here is the gallery of another Painter artist, although in Victor's case he uses a lot of different mediums in Painter, watercolor, oils, acrylics, pencil, etc. But he is a master at what he does.

http://cargocollective.com/victorlun...ngs/Landscapes

Keep in mind that the initial learning curve for Painter is rather steep...that's where my classes come in, but if you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the 411. Regarding your tablet, I've had students successfully use tablets other than the Wacom. As long as it's pressure sensitive it should work and I understand that there are some very good non-Wacom tablets out there. As a matter of fact I was planning on doing some research because I'm using an old Intuos 3 and I'd like more pressure levels, but the old pocketbook isn't going to go for the latest Wacom. They are lovely tablets, but pricey.

So now that you're probably sorry you brought the matter up (can you guess I'm a fan of the program?), I'll close this reply.

Last edited by jilbert; 04-08-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

I can tell you the difference and maybe some advantages of a clipping mask ... but it's been a long day and I probably won't make a lot of sense. Let me sleep on it and I'll try to explain some of the advantages. I never used them until I started digiscrapping ... so maybe it really depends on what you want to do (told you I probably would make sense).

Quote:
PSP has layer masks, what it doesn't have are clipping masks, but I still can't figure out exactly what a clipping mask does. Maybe someone can explain it. How is a clipping mask any different than creating a selection of a shape you want to make into an element on it's own layer, then placing the layer over the paper you want to use for the element, inverting the selection and then hitting the delete (or for Mac the backspace) key? Is it just a case of one less step or is it actually something quite different?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:24 PM

NOT AT ALL!!! I can't wait to check out the links you left ... and I will definitely pick your brain about training.

Quote:
Jill, I forgot all about my friend Joan Hamilton who went from being an accomplished watercolorist with real media to an accomplished watercolorist with digital, i.e., Painter, and this was before the most current version. Here is a link to here blog:

...and here is Skip Allen's watercolor gallery. Everything here is digital. As you can see Skip has many different styles because he is "the great experimenter". He is also very adept at creating specialty custom brushes for Painter.

http://skipallenpaints.com/watercolor-gallery/

Here is the gallery of another Painter artist, although in Victor's case he uses a lot of different mediums in Painter, watercolor, oils, acrylics, pencil, etc. But he is a master at what he does.

http://cargocollective.com/victorlun...ngs/Landscapes

Keep in mind that the initial learning curve for Painter is rather steep...that's where my classes come in, but if you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the 411. Regarding your tablet, I've had students successfully use tablets other than the Wacom. As long as it's pressure sensitive it should work and I understand that there are some very good non-Wacom tablets out there. As a matter of fact I was planning on doing some research because I'm using an old Intuos 3 and I'd like more pressure levels, but the old pocketbook isn't going to go for the latest Wacom. They are lovely tablets, but pricey.

So now that you're probably sorry you brought the matter up (can you guess I'm a fan of the program?), I'll close this reply.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 AM
theStudio Picasso

I was never in to scrapping. I love computers and fiddling with graphics. Started with PSP7 and making all my cards. Moved up in PSP, got a free PSE program with my tablet and liked it more than PSP. Now I'm a scrapping/graphic altering fool! Especially since I've found a couple of groups comprised of members who are so supportive and helpful, not to mention friendly!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 AM
theStudio Monet

Now don't forget me...I really need to know about the difference between using a clipping mask and using a selection because Painter doesn't have clipping masks either and people have started to complain...lol

Quote:
I can tell you the difference and maybe some advantages of a clipping mask ... but it's been a long day and I probably won't make a lot of sense. Let me sleep on it and I'll try to explain some of the advantages. I never used them until I started digiscrapping ... so maybe it really depends on what you want to do (told you I probably would make sense).
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 AM

I found an excellent tutorial/article about the differences and actually learned some new tricks myself -- http://bit.ly/1g83E3M. Clipping masks allow me to do somethings faster ... however, if I'm working on a file with LOTS of layers (this kind of happens a lot), layer masks is the way to go.

The bottom line is, it all depends on what you're doing and how you application does layer masks. I use both methods for various workflows. If I had to do with out one of them, I could do without clipping masks.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:

I just started reading through your friend's blog ... WOW!!! Tons of good information (and a lot more reading that I must put off until I finish my work). I can't WAIT to see the other sites too. You've convinced me ... Painter is excellent for watercolors ... thank you!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 PM
theStudio Picasso

Has anyone ever scrapped about their dreams...

You don't want me to scrap my dreams lol .... my family hold's their ears anytime I want to say something .... weird weird weird with no real meaning most times or if there are meanings I don't want to know
Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM
theStudio Warhol

Art journaling is a great medium for putting you dreams or nightmares on paper. I find it therapeutic.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootscrapper View Post
1. What attracted you to digital scrapbooking in the first place?
Photoshop !!! .... except for a class in 2003 when I was taking a lot of computer stuff I am self taught and always have more to learn. Scrapbooking uses a lot of different manipulations in photoshop and that is what attracted me.... I work in mixed media and design/sew landscape quilts and I love to create digitally as well so it was a natural progession.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
I found an excellent tutorial/article about the differences and actually learned some new tricks myself -- http://bit.ly/1g83E3M. Clipping masks allow me to do somethings faster ... however, if I'm working on a file with LOTS of layers (this kind of happens a lot), layer masks is the way to go.

The bottom line is, it all depends on what you're doing and how you application does layer masks. I use both methods for various workflows. If I had to do with out one of them, I could do without clipping masks.
Jill, thank you for that tutorial link. I had done several searches and couldn't find anything which explained how a clipping mask is used, so this may answer my questions. I've only read part of that tutorial, and it has me wondering why anything other than an extra layer would be required in the example? In PSP and also in Painter, selections can be moved on a layer. So if you want to fill text with an image, after turning the text layer into a selection, you would have your image layer beneath the text layer and then just move the selection into place over the area of image you want to use and do a copy/paste or cut/paste. Doesn't Photoshop have a tool/function which enables you to move a selection?

Btw, if this is how clipping masks are used then Painter already has something which will take their place, the "Selection Adjuster". I don't understand the necessity for even a layer mask. (Layer masks are usually used in Painter to extract images from their backgrounds.) Or, am I not understanding correctly?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 PM
theStudio Designer

Loving all these sites and links. The one thing I notice about clipp vs. select+inverse+delete is that the select is not exact and can be a tiny bit off. When I clip to the below layer, I know it's getting right up to the edges but I have noticed many times select+inverse+delete doesn't.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
I just started reading through your friend's blog ... WOW!!! Tons of good information (and a lot more reading that I must put off until I finish my work). I can't WAIT to see the other sites too. You've convinced me ... Painter is excellent for watercolors ... thank you!!!
You're very welcome. Joan's site is wonderful, and I love her paintings.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDesigns View Post
Loving all these sites and links. The one thing I notice about clipp vs. select+inverse+delete is that the select is not exact and can be a tiny bit off. When I clip to the below layer, I know it's getting right up to the edges but I have noticed many times select+inverse+delete doesn't.
Interesting. I've never taken note of that when using Painter, but with PSP that triple command does go right up to the edges. The whole point of this is whether or not Painter needs clipping masks. Some people seem to think it does (guess what other program they use...lol), but I don't, especially now that I know what they do.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:11 PM
theStudio Monet

I really should do a computer course, or photoshop, or some kind of drawing course....I think I would like that!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 PM

Kaye ... you are able to do SO much with what you have now ... It's scary to even think what you'd do with some classes behind you ... LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootscrapper View Post
I really should do a computer course, or photoshop, or some kind of drawing course....I think I would like that!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM

I'm sure you're right ... people like working with what they're familiar with. It's just another non-destructive way of working in PS.

One area where they work VERY well is with my Photo Pocket templates. When you bring in a photo, it may not be cropped or sized the way you want. If you "clip" it to the placeholder, you can then resize it to get things centered the way you want ... and the bonus is that it's automatically cropping it for you while you're doing this. (btw -- this refers to PS ... PSE does not have clipping masks unless Adobe has added them in recently ... but I could definitely be wrong on this and just confusing it with something else). Granted, until I saw that tutorial that I referenced above, I never realized you could do this with layer masks also and I'm a rather experienced PS user. Again, it's the case of wanting what one is comfortable with using.

One thing that Jewel mentioned ... If you are doing a select, invert, delete to do something similar to a clipping mask (or layer mask) ... Photoshop is as Painter is as PSP is a "raster" program. Anything with a curve or angle needs to be anti-aliased so that the edge looks right (aka smooth). You can end up with major "jaggies" when using the method above. This can also happen when using a layer mask because you are depending on that "selection" to be accurate. What you need to keep in mind is that each selection degrades and depending on how much degradation you're willing to put up with pretty much determines which method you should use. I avoid that degradation by clipping ...

Clear as mud?

Quote:
Interesting. I've never taken note of that when using Painter, but with PSP that triple command does go right up to the edges. The whole point of this is whether or not Painter needs clipping masks. Some people seem to think it does (guess what other program they use...lol), but I don't, especially now that I know what they do.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Anything with a curve or angle needs to be anti-aliased so that the edge looks right (aka smooth). You can end up with major "jaggies" when using the method above.
Nice thing about PSP, there is a box you can check in the selection dialog for automatic anti-aliasing. You can also set auto feathering with a setting for the number of pixels, very handy.

I wrote to my Painter friend about what I had discovered and sent her the link you gave me. I'm waiting to hear back.