Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > In Search Of (ISO)...

In Search Of (ISO)... for scrappers & designers alike! Are you looking for a certain something in a kit? A color? A theme? Maybe a CU item? Ask for it here.

Maybe you are looking for help on your CT? Or looking for a Designer needing a CT? Ask for it here. If you need it, here's the place to ask.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 AM
theStudio Artist

Talking !! 911!! Set my crazed artsy self free or I'll explode! tee hee

I'm ISO of a heavenly dreamy place of artistic abandon... a place where we all can explore new opportunities for pure creativity with unbridled artistic freedom, with no rules, to make it ...even-if-it's-ugly-and-no-one-likes-it-but-you... for personal art expression. We are always making pretty pages for our albums to preserve our and our kids' memories, but those albums serve a specific important purpose and they need to be nice. I need an outlet to express my inner feelings... my deepest thoughts... my quirky interests... a word that is stuck in my head and won't go away... or just the pissy mood I find myself in... oooo yeah...pms art!!! Wouldn't it be nice to have a non- traditional challenge and our own non- traditional section in the gallery, where we can express ourselves with or without words, using whatever materials we want to, from whatever designer we chose to, in whatever size, to print or not to print, no rules, through art in it's many forms (in this case, ATC/ Art Journaling/ Mixed Media Projects /Hybrid Projects) to follow whimsy where ever it takes us?

I'm suggesting that this wonderful forum be home to a monthly challenge dedicated to "art for art's sake" that offers purely artistic activities for personal artistic expression and not scrapping purposes. I was hoping that through the challenge, designers would begin making more products to support these activities which would develop and grow that part of the store that goes un-noticed and under supported. These kinds of challenges also encourage the use of CU products too. I have given this a lot of thought and I can see how this could grow designers businesses here as they expand their products to support these challenges. I have been to many forums and only a few forums offer purely artistic challenges like this and even less have sections of there stores devoted to these kinds of challenges. I'm hoping that offering these kinds of challenges will not only be fun, educational, and even therapeutic, but also be monetarily profitable to the designers here and the store it's self. Outside advertising through social media would help as well, to bring in new artists/customers and get the word out. I taught scrapping classes for several years for a popular scrapping company, so I can see this from a business point of view too.

I really miss the ATC Ch., because it was so freeing to making whatever I wanted, instead of the more traditional structured pages in our albums. I would offer to run the challenge by myself, but I live the life of a chronic pain sufferer and I never know when I will be down for the count and forced into bed for a day or several. I was hoping that a designer sponsor (or sponsors maybe rotating sponsors, if everyone wants to try this), that is so excited about and interested in this kind of art adventure that participating in it would be a joy to them and not a chore, would volunteer to run the challenge. I can help in whatever capacity you wish. Each month we can pick a new activity, like making an atc, mix media project(many things can be done here...scary things that will make you step outside of your comfort zone ..a..hahahaha (evil laugh)) or an art journaling piece, then pick a theme or color scheme ,and then cut everyone loose till the end of the month. It can be done all digitally, hybrid, or using real scrapping products. I'm hoping that like minded and equally excited people would want to participate each month, so we are around like minded people. Creativity is stimulated by the excitement and energy of others. I'm hoping that this challenge can be very fun and exciting to everyone involved, while offering something different than your average scrapping challenge. The sponsor can make a free goodie each month to support that month's challenge or to encourage purchases of something new that they made specifically for these kinds of activities , but this isn't necessary or required, because we want the sponsor to be excited about this and to have freedom as we do.. This might freak you out, but I was hoping that in this challenge we could use any art journaling, atc, mixed media, products that we have in our stash no matter what store they come from. I have a ton of stuff from retired atc/art journaling designers that I can't use in any challenge any where. I think it's worth the risk in this one area. I feel that stopping people from getting to use all of their stash inhibits creativity, by adding more rules and structure to the challenge. Perhaps you can say, you must use a few elements or paper from a kit from our store and leave it at that. The idea is totally artistic freedom (without anything ridiculous of course like cussing or nudity). I know that the Urban Fairy already makes products that would be great for use in these challenges. I'm hoping that the store will be able to branch out and add a section in the store dedicated to ATC- AJ- Mixed Media Projects- Hybrid Projects. I know that designers that make and sell these kinds of products that support these kinds of activities, find a whole new way to branch out their business and express themselves too.

Thanks for your interest and time.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: !! 911!! Set my crazed artsy self free or I'll explode! tee hee

Oh yah, this is right up my alley. I have photos to scrap, but have lost my mojo. However I will scrap with free abandonment to just have fun. The layout below is of none of my kids, grandkids, or great grandkids and has no family value except that it makes me smile. The girls are from an old card that was part of a kit. There are over 22 layers to create this look. The original card is in the lower left corner. This layout is linked to the gallery.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 PM
theStudio CT

Oh WOW!!! I'm with you on this one!!! So many times I want to express myself other than more family members-----just art journaling or other media-----and I have at times; but it sure would be an interesting challenge.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 AM
theStudio Monet

Art journaling...ATC cards...yessss.....I give this 5 stars. *****

Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 AM
the Studio CT

I'm totally intimidated by this sort of thing but I think it would be a GREAT idea to push me out of my comfort zone. Thumbs up from me.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 AM
theStudio Picasso

OH YES! Most definitely yes.

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...w-you-ask.html
Old 05-07-2014, 12:26 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannieEv View Post
OMGosh this. This totally speaks to me. I'm in the same place of unplanned retirement when I was 62. I tried for over a year to find employment and even had 2 live interviews, but they always picked someone younger. Hubs said, "I think we just need to accept this" and I went on SS. Whoot, been lovin' it ever since. We had to live on a lower budget, but the result was happier than we would have thought. And here's to thinking I needed to make more money
Old 05-07-2014, 01:06 PM
theStudio Picasso

I'm glad he retired after his hip replacement, he's worked hard for all his working life, BUT oh my golly gosh does he make noise and I loved my silence.... I'm also glad it worked out for you and your husband.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

I'm a designer ... and I too don't have all that many photos to scrap with ... I'm also a mixed media artist and a retired geek. I have tried on several occasions to do a more artsy kit without much success .... BUT ... folks ARE finally starting to notice and are starting to appreciate it.

My style so far has not been pure art journaling but more of a hybrid. You can tell which of my kits are "art" or "art journaling" by the byline --- "scrap your art out" or "tell me about it." However, keep your eyes out for a collection coming out in a couple of weeks ... it's pure art journaling and it's going to blow your mind ... right Nancy???????

I leave you with this page that I did with Uniquely You ... a collab I did with Karen (aka Snickerdoodle Design) before I actually had a Personal Use Store (I was strictly a CU designer at the time). This kit is probably as close to art journaling as anything I had ever done or even that the store had ever carried. Its sales were miserable and I was surprised Toiny still was willing to give me a PU store ... just kidding ... sort of. However, it did keep me away from trying anything like it again ... thus my mix of kit styles. Fortunately, the worm has turned and I will be doing a lot more of the art journaling style of kits with my new partner in crime (yet to be announced).

Back to my page ... I posted this and several layouts around it back in June 2013. It had been a REALLY bad day and this was my way of getting it out of my system. Unfortunately, looking at other layouts around it ... it turned out to be a bad week.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 PM
theStudio CT

Don't believe a word she says!!! Jill is becoming an ART JOURNALING KIT QUEEN!!!!!!! Wait until you see whats coming your way soon-----sorry, can't say anymore!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

Nancy!!! Bad girl!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
Don't believe a word she says!!! Jill is becoming an ART JOURNALING KIT QUEEN!!!!!!! Wait until you see whats coming your way soon-----sorry, can't say anymore!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 PM
theStudio CT

WHAT??????? I didn't say anything!!! There are LOTS of new kits coming this way over the next few weeks!!!! Right, designers???? (WHEW! Got myself out of THAT one, didn't I!!!)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 PM
theStudio Artist

Love this Jill. I can just feel your heart at that moment. I'll have to get started on one.

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 AM
theStudio Monet

Jill you have me so intrigued woman!!!

I Love arty kits....not quite sure I love doing art journalling pages....I am a uniform and organized person in my mind....naybe not so much in LIFE lol I try but...so I cluster, cant help it I wouldnt know where to begin...AJ'ling

I have tried drawing arty things on my tablet...some I like....but I sit there and try and think what to draw next lol...and then the program frustrates me because I want it to do things and I dont know if it can or cant!

So anyway love arty kits but not sold on pages, so I can't wait to see yours jill!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 AM
theStudio Monet

I can't wait to see it, I'll bet it will be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 AM
theStudio Designer

I officially love this thread. What an AMAZING opening post! I think we're gonna have to figure this one out! I think it's a GREAT idea to have a surprise artsy challenge! Oh snap! I gatta get some more MHIA products done -- hello time, how you fly so far away from me! Though yeah, here in about what...2 weeks? or..there's some aWESOMe color work comin out!!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 AM
theStudio Picasso

This is one of my favourite things to do ... I create journal pages, mostly with paint, paper and more paint and more paper ... creating something with both photos and art is very cool
Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 AM
theStudio Warhol

Welcome to the dark side Ladies...
This is what I do the most and what has kept me busy this year. I joined the Creative Team for 2 Curly Headed Monsters Designs in February. If you don't know or remember her designs look at the Next Designer contest last September. I like to do a range of art pages its great therapy! Thoughts, feelings, experiences to quotes, songs an poetry. I really only have 1 page from a designer here and that is Fancy Bird. You may notice most of my pages are less traditional and more artsy.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:58 PM
theStudio Artist

This may be considered an orderly artsy page, but it speaks to me. I muse as I created it. The best fun was I used 6 different papers to get the background look. I love WORDS so that explains some of it. It is linked to the gallery.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:37 AM
the Studio Admin Team Member

I think this is a great suggestion.

Stand by for further news on this................