Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Newbie Frequently Asked Questions

Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM
theStudio Artist

Question Freebie copyright issues

Hi,

I am wondering if I use somebody's kit whether freebie kit or bought kit to make a quick page to share with others on my blog as a freebie is that right to do that or not???????

I really am not sure on this so would like some advice.

Thanks heaps...

Old 11-13-2007, 08:23 AM
theStudio Designer

Location: I live in a sweet small seaside town called Southport in the uk.

Hi MissNZ

As far as I know, even freebies carry copyrights. When you download a freebie and open the file, there should be a tou (terms of use) enclosed although this often gets forgotten when giving freebies out.

In my tou, I state that you can only use my freebies for 'personal' use, i.e. you can use it to make layouts to show in galleries with credit back to me or for your own printing use but you can't create something from it to sell or give away to others. I do make exceptions though so read on....

This seems to be the general rule of thumb. You can always approach the freebie owner via their blog or email and ask them if they would allow you to make a QP or other item using their kits. Some are happy for you to do this as it gets their kits noticed and its quite an ego boost. You have to honour this kindness with the correct credit to the owner of the freebie and they may ask you to provide a link to their kit.

I have a few people who use my freebie kits this way. it's always lovely to see how they are being used.

Just to re-cap, even if there isn't a tou enclosed with the freebie, always assume there is and act as though it carries copyright, that way, you can't go wrong. The exception to the rule is 'commercial use' products. Sometimes these are given as freebies but ALWAYS read the tou as they often have restrictions on them.

I hope this has helped you with your question a little. Don't hesitate to ask if you need any other help.

Hugs
Boo x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNZ View Post
Hi,

I am wondering if I use somebody's kit whether freebie kit or bought kit to make a quick page to share with others on my blog as a freebie is that right to do that or not???????

Thanks heaps...

Old 11-13-2007, 08:35 AM
SAS-y Pearl

Best advice I can give--Always ask the designers permission first! They'll let you know what's o.k. and not o.k.

My blog:

My SAS Gallery
Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 PM
SAS-Y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNZ View Post
Hi,

Thanks heaps...
That would be a big NO. It is not right to do and is indeed copyright infringement. Even if you recolor it or alter it at all you are not allowed to do that without the designer's permission.

Commercial items may be used to create another item to give away but they cannot be given away as is. But still check the tou for specifics as occasionally they vary.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:15 AM
theStudio Picasso

As Terrell says, it's not okay, but it never hurts to ask. Some designers may say yes as long as you link back to their blog, as it's additional advertising for them. They may also want to see it in advance to make sure represents their kit well. Just make sure you have their permission in writing before you do anything.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:08 PM
theStudio Artist

Thanks so much for all your answers