Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 03-24-2008, 02:18 PM
theStudio Designer

Smile Homeschool Question....

my daughter just turned 14 months on the 20th and as she absolutely LOVES having books read to her i was thinking of maybe trying to find some preschool type curriculum to read to her.. something that would be colorful and engaging.. anybody have any suggestions?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
SAS-y Pearl

I homeschooled both my kids all the way through high school. At this point, I wouldn't push any "learning" things, Sher. Find what she's interested in...does she like animals? You can get some great books from the library about them, and they don't necessarily have to be "children's" books -- any nature book is filled with bright, engaging colors and you can tell her what the text says if it's too technical.

Don't underestimate what she can understand. I used to read all kinds of books to my kids, very few that were actually meant for children. If they don't understand, they'll ask questions.

You can play counting games with her. Even if she doesn't "get it" yet, you can point to objects and count, 1-2-3.....eventually, she'll get the idea.

It's just my opinion, but I firmly believe that, at this age, kids need to PLAY -- that's how learn just about everything. JMO, but I hope it helps.

Jamie

Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 PM
theStudio Designer

Default thanks!

thanks for your advice i really appreciate it :-)

Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 AM
SAS-y Diamond

We also did some homeschooling. I agree with Jamie the you need to keep reading to her and talking to her and playing games with her! She sounds very interested in everything so just keep interesting things and activities available. The libraries usually offer a story time where someone reads a book to the kids and they have other activities that are fun for kids. I found activity books even at the supermarket and I know they are still available. Here is a link to a homeschooling site that does offer toddler and preschool materials that might be interesting. I am sure there are other sites out there too.

It is great that you are thinking ahead!!

Janalyn's Place Blog
Old 03-26-2008, 06:10 PM
theStudio Designer

Smile thanks for that link Janalyn!

I can't wait to check it out! :-)