Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 05-19-2008, 03:04 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Default Question RE: Piracy

Hello!

I just wanted to ask for some opinions about reporting Piracy. I know that the first thing you should do when suspecting piracy is to send an e-mail to the designer of the Pirated Kit (which I've done!)

However, there are a bunch more kits on this persons 4-shared account and I can't figure out who they belong to. (and I really don't have the time to research!) My question is, do you think it is okay to post the information on a public forum for all to see??

It has been confirmed to me by one of the designers that yes, indeed, they are pirated kits. But I didn't want to release all the info to the public if that is frowned upon... I would really like to inform the other designers of the unknown kits if I could... just wanted some opinions because this is the first time I've ran across this situation... Thanks!!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:07 PM
theStudio Designer

Smile i would say...

I would suggest that you send a list or a screenshot of the page where the items are listed...then send this information to a designer whom you recognize is on the list, and ask the designer to mention it at the piracy forum at DST (for designers only)
So that way if you are wanting to 'save face' of the suspected pirate, the designers could deal with it as discreetly as possible by contacting the individual to ask for removal of those items or ,worst case scenario, contacting 4shared directly for their removal.
hope this helps:-)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 PM
theStudio Warhol

Question List of know pirates?

Along the same line, has anyone compiled a list of known pirates? Here and there I've seen some names posted, but I can't remember where I saw them. I've noticed in the last week several scrappers have blogged about pirated kits.

I've reported pirated kits and the designers are always grateful. I came across one kit on 4shared that had been uploaded by two different people! But that brings another question. What if you find a kit that you aren't sure about and you cannot find the kit in a store or the designer in any web search?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:29 AM
theStudio Party Girl

I would probably send an e-mail to Jen at the Stop Piracy site:

http://jenjen.typepad.com/stoppiracy/

Jen's e-mail:
jenstrange@gmail.com

Make sure you send her links and all the info you have! She will post it on the Designer Piracy site.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
SAS-y Diamond

I didn't even know about that site!!! Thanks Kim.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Candee, I didn't know about it either until I discovered some pirated kits on 4-shared! When I contacted one of the designers, she gave me the link because there were other designer's kits on the pirated list. I've since found 2 ADDITIONAL pirates on 4-shared, all because of that "related files" section they have on their site. I urge people to LOOK at that section when DL freebies, because most of the Pirates aren't too bright and keep the original file name for the pirated kits! Anyway, I have reported them to the designers & to Jen so she could post them on the Designer's Piracy forum. This seemed to be the best thing to do!

I'm sorry you've had some piracy issues lately (read about it on your blog)! I will definitely keep my eyes open!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:04 AM
SAS-y Pearl

i've already reported some piracy-kits to some Designers
that i found on a blog. This blog is closed now,
but i have no idea how to identify pirated kits on 4 shared.
How do you know those are not the originals???

Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
theStudio Party Girl

You can usually tell by the e-mail address associated with the account... if it's not the same e-mail address as the original designer, I would suspect Piracy and send an e-mail to the designer to make sure! In my case, the files I found were kits that the designers were SELLING in their stores!! I knew that they shouldn't be hosted on 4-shared for all to DL!

I also didn't want to post the link to the Pirated 4-shared accounts for all to see... it's too tempting for *some* to go and DL the pirated kit!!

When I was advised to send it to Jen, I thought that was the best way to do it! That way only the designers have the links, and the community isn't tempted to DL pirated kits!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 AM
SAS-y Pearl

Ok, i will look out for the email-adresses

Old 12-19-2008, 03:18 PM
SAS-y Pebble

I also didn't want to post the link to the Pirated 4-shared accounts for all to see... it's too tempting for *some* to go and DL the pirated kit!!

When I was advised to send it to Jen, I thought that was the best way to do it! That way only the designers have the links, and the community isn't tempted to DL pirated kits![/QUOTE]

Okay, I get all the above. I KNOW KITS should not ever be shared, that you let someone know where you got the kit. I have never shared a kit. I have however shared layouts I have made from various kits or designers.

What about the layouts made from those kits? Do you mean to say that the layout is NOT the property of the person who creates the layout and does give credit to the designer, but the property of the person who designed the kit?

In that case I guess I won't ever make another layout for people to enjoy.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanDesigns View Post
I didn't even know about that site!!! Thanks Kim.
:eek:neither did I! Thanks Kim!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:13 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroads View Post

When I was advised to send it to Jen, I thought that was the best way to do it! That way only the designers have the links, and the community isn't tempted to DL pirated kits!
Okay, I get all the above. I KNOW KITS should not ever be shared, that you let someone know where you got the kit. I have never shared a kit. I have however shared layouts I have made from various kits or designers.

What about the layouts made from those kits? Do you mean to say that the layout is NOT the property of the person who creates the layout and does give credit to the designer, but the property of the person who designed the kit?

In that case I guess I won't ever make another layout for people to enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Backroads
A page you make with a designer's kit is yours of course. All most designers ask is that you give credit to all the products and designer's that you used in the creation of the layout when you post it online in galleries and on blogs etc or to any magazines for publication. Otherwise the viewers looking at the layout would think that the whole thing was created by the person posting the layout (from scratch.)

What most designers also require is that you don't create a quickpage or plopper and then upload it to share with other people online. This is sharing and not permitted by most designers tou, including mine.

If you are in doubt read the terms of use of the designer and if you are still unsure, ask. Most designers include a contact email address in their tou file.

Hope this helps. And I hope you will continue to create digiscrapbooking pages for your enjoyment and to pass onto your children, great grandchildren etc. Afterall that's what scrapbooking is all about isn't it? Documenting our lives for those who follow to enjoy when we are long gone. Herilooms for future generations.

Hope this helps
I'm off to check out jen's site

Tracy Aka Ambowife Designs

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason

Old 12-26-2008, 02:45 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Thank you for the information. While I may not agree with parts of it, I do understand it more now.

Most TOU go on and on and on and they are hard to decipher exactly what is being said.