Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Default Mom's...I need your wisdom!!

HELP!!! :p

My sweet, little angel boy is turning into a monster! LOL!

He is going to be 4yo in January, and he's turned into a sassy-pants!! He talks back constantly now, always telling me "No", not doing what I ask of him, fights with his sister (2 1/2yo), screams & cries over toys, etc... He used to be so mellow, hardly ever cried, never told me no, always did what I asked him... WHAT HAPPENED?!!!! Is it the age?!

Now, my daughter does all of these things too, but she's always been that way! hahaha...
Old 10-25-2008, 05:08 PM
the Studio - Designer

Could just be his age or what he's been watching on tv? Perhaps an attention thing too, does your little girl get lot's of attention if she does the wrong thing? Kids love attention whether it's for being good or bad
Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 PM
theStudio Picasso

My DD discovered that the Living Books computer programs/games - the Berenstain Bears, to be specific, were causing her kiddo to be sassy. Those little bears ase downright nasty to each other! That goes along with the idea of "what's he watching on TV" suggestion.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:29 PM
SAS-y Diamond

Don't worry Kim, it's not the boy it's the age. I taught 4yr olds in a preschool, and it's just their way of exerting their new found independence now that they're potty trained, can speak perfectly, have good motor skills finally - and especially when there are younger siblings in the house. He could also be reacting to your little diva there....lol.

Get ready too, because it happens again around 6 when they're no longer "kindergarten babies". My daughter is going through this now with my PERFECT grandson James, and she's tearing her hair out as well.

The key is to get a wee bit tougher on him now for his behavior. Don't say, "you're a bad boy when you do that" - but say "you ACT like a bad boy when you do that"....big difference in perception there. Send him to the time out chair when he acts up (or whatever you've used in the past for this behavior) and/or take away privlages like TV time or a special toy. And DON'T give them back till he apologizes like he means it!!! And be consistant, nothing sabatoges us more than not following through on threats.

Listen to me, Dr. Spock over here....lol.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:49 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpli View Post
My DD discovered that the Living Books computer programs/games - the Berenstain Bears, to be specific, were causing her kiddo to be sassy. Those little bears ase downright nasty to each other! That goes along with the idea of "what's he watching on TV" suggestion.
I only know 4 and up (my 4 kidlets all adopted at that age! lol), but sassing that comes from a child to an adult is not cute in any situation and kudos to you for seeing that...
I had one son who would drop the F bomb in public! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! very embarrassing to me who doesn't cuss...lol
but 4 year olds are smart and know what pushes your buttons...
I had to walk away from some behaviour(versus doin' the ol' slap in face, which I do Not want to do), and come back to it, once I calmed down...but I noticed that if I remained calm, my voice.
ex...
"blah blah smart voice", said 4 year old child
" that is enough, go now to (the corner)....and I will talk to you in a minute if you can apologized"
I actually took pics of my one daughter who spent some time in her little corner...I did a Lay out, called Anna's corner!
try to breathe and be the grown up...I know that is the hard part...lol

Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Great Advice ladies!! I really appreciate it!

It's funny, but I can actually sit down with him & have a "real" conversation about why he's acting the way he is... so he definitely understands that what he's doing is naughty!! And I will have to say that it has lessened this past week, because I keep pointing out what he is doing and how he is acting and why it's not nice behavior!

He hasn't really had anything new to watch recently, except The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown... and then I realized that he was calling his sister a "blockhead!" LOL!! So, even though I grew up watching those shows, I think he may still be too young for some of them! We mostly watch Nickelodeon or Noggin, with the occasional Wiggles DVD thrown in, but I have started noticing that some of the Nick shows have some sassy-pants characters on them! I'm wondering if he is just getting older and his perception of these shows is changing! I will definitely have to start paying more attention to this! I usually watch the programs with them, because I think it's a great learning tool to discuss what they are seeing and why things happen the way they do in the shows! And, it's really fun to watch the excitement on their faces when they know the right answer to Dora's question! LOL! :p

And, as far as my daughter, I can totally see the attention thing! Because of her age (and her attitude!), we spend more time explaining to her why things are bad, whereas with my son, we feel he should know better than that! So, that could also be playing into the "Sas" talk! His favorite expression now is "Because I want too!"

Anywho, thanks again ladies! I guess this is just another thing us Parent's have to deal with!! This should be a walk in the park compared to when they are teenagers! LOL!