Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 07-17-2007, 01:45 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Default Help w/ my quickpage

Okay, I made this quick page, and it's OK... second attempt at it, and the first attempt was on my powerbook that quickly runs out of power when unplugged, and guess what? DH unplugged it, and of COURSE I hadn't saved! Anyway, I can't flatten my image without it taking out my background layer, and I can't figure out how to add a background layer, and of course, if it's not flattened, then the file size is WAY too large.

HOW do I get around this? I saw a QP tutorial once, but I have NO IDEA where, so it would be AWESOME if someone would post one, since it seems like a major idea of this site is to have everyone contributing QPs.... now if only we could include other designers... I would LOVE to have a bunch of QPs from Anita Designs, she's my absolute favorite designer of all time... and she and I share the same birthday, so go figure on that one!!!!! A coincidence? I think NOT!

Thanks for any help you can give me, I've really been enjoying working with the Dusted Blossoms kit, it's SO pretty!

Sarah
Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM
theStudio Artist

Smile

Hi, Sarah,
You didn't say what program you are using. You would usually add a background layer by adding a layer and dragging it the bottom of the stack. If that does not work you can just save it as a png, and the png will be flat. One of the main things to remember about anything you make is to make them at 300 dpi. I have some links on my blog for good info on QPs, I will try to dig them out and get them posted here soon.
Julie
Old 07-17-2007, 06:44 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Photoshop 7, sadly... but I also have PSE 2 around here somewhere. I just had to format this computer, so I think all I have right now is PS 7.

Okay, I'll see if those work and look back here for your tips.

Sarah
Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Almost forgot to say, because I've read so much about digi scrapping before even beginning a page, that it's become natural for me to set it to 300dpi... plus, I am a former computer tech, so I understand WHY dpi is important, plus I've had MANY frustrations with trying to print computer graphics that everyone naturally sets to 72dpi because that's what they read they should set it to, lol... SHEEP! Okay, that was NOT nice. Anyway I DID set it up to be 300dpi, though I only had to do the one layer, which was the background. When I had flattened everything, I couldn't add another layer and put it as the background, so I had to un-do my flatten. I wonder if I should have started with the background layer in the first place... if that's part of the problem? I'll try the PNG thing and see what happens. I've got this thing saved in a couple of different places on my computer, so it should be impossible to ruin it, no matter what I do. Though I have to say, I LOVE Adobe for making unlimited step backwards as a feature. What a lifesaver.

Sarah
Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Also, funny enough, is that when I first set out to learn digi scrapping, I specifically went looking for what dpi to set things to, did a search on it and everything.... again because of the amount of frustrations w/ 72 dpi graphics... I KNEW that wasn't gonna work out for pages people would want to print out in full glorious 12x12 color .

Sarah
Old 07-17-2007, 07:17 PM
SAS-y Gem

I use photoshop 6 and all I do is save it as a PNG. It flattens the image, but the parts that are left out- Like the inside of the frame, is "open" so you can slide a photo in behind it. (that said, you should remember to delete that part you want open from your background layer(s) as well.)
Hope you find a way to do it easily.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:26 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Right... what you need is a "hole" which I had to play with to get right, but finally did to my (mostly) liking. I discovered the round marquee tool, so was happy about that.

Saving it as a PNG totally worked! I was able to try it with a photo, and it was very nice (photo didn't go though, lol)

Thanks everyone! Now I need to go do some more, just to get the hang of it, then I need to SCRAPBOOK!!!!!! I did a paper page last week, but for the most part, I'm piddling too much time away online.

Sarah
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Now I just need to upload this one... my first try didn't work, I suspect because I hadn't flattened the image, it must have been humongous.

Sarah
Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 AM
SAS-y Diamond

Red face

Galtscrapper,

I am glad that I am not the only one having trouble getting pages ready to upload. This is quite new to me and I WILL get it but there is a learning curve!! Julie has been very helpful but at times I don't even know what to ask. She is going to link some tutorials for information on how to get started with uploading, like file size, format, linking, etc....

Janalyn's Place Blog
Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 PM
theStudio Picasso

I am having trouble selecting the photo layer to delete it to get the transparent area. The magic wand just isn't working right. I ctrl click on the photos image thumbnail in the layers pallet .the magic wand wont work. I have been using the margue rectangle but this isn't too neat to use.Oh this is so hard to explain. How do you delete the photos in the LO? I use photoshopelements6

Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 AM
theStudio Warhol

I was having trouble with this myself, and I think what I was doing wrong was I was clicking on the NAME in the layers palette, not the thumbnail itself. Once I starting paying attention to where my mouse was, this started to work. Hope that helps!

my blog
Old 09-02-2008, 02:49 PM
theStudio Picasso

I found a better tutorial from a link in this chatter forum & am anxious to give it a try.I just have to decide if I should do some much needed housework today or work on the computer!lolololol

Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 PM
theStudio Picasso

Hi Joanne ~
Did you finally fix your problem? I have always used Photoshop CS2 but yesterday it decided to not run anymore... soo.. I installed Photoshop Elements and it's ok, but it's not my Photoshop...boohoo...
Anyways, hope you found the answer!
Stella

(about to head off for a walk!)
Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 AM
theStudio Picasso

Oh no, what pain when a program like that stops working.I suppose you have to spend hours reloading it & working with adobe.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 AM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtscrapper View Post
Photoshop 7, sadly... but I also have PSE 2 around here somewhere. I just had to format this computer, so I think all I have right now is PS 7.

Okay, I'll see if those work and look back here for your tips.

Sarah
No reason to be sorry about PS 7 If you check out the Designer Academy Thread you will see why. I wouldn't bother looking for PSE2 especially since you have PS 7