Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 04-30-2009, 09:33 PM
theStudio CT

Question Random Question

I am still trying to get the hang of this scrapbooking for myself thing. I am used to making siggies for other people who give me the pics they want me to work with, tell me the theme/colors/wording they want, etc.
So I am a bit overwhelmed at where to start on this. I seem to stare at my blank PS forever trying to decide where to begin.
So my question is when you open your program, how do you decide what you are going to work on.
For example are you making for a specific scrapbook, so you keep with a certain theme?
Are you thinking about a special pic that you want to make something with, and then what?
Are you doing something justbecause it fits a specific challenge, so you may or may not get it printed?
or Are you trying to find something that will work with that great new kit you just bought, and (again) then what?

Please tell a newbie how to get a handle on this. Please?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 PM
theStudio Owner

Yes LOL!

I do two things the most. One I scrap with what I like, so if it's a new kit that I want to use I'll find pictures to go with it and scrap. I always scrap two pages (thinking of the final LO in the photobook). I will then save it small to show online with the kit, and I'll save it fullsize in each child's folder (sometimes two kids if it's sibling pages)... for the books I will someday assemble & order when I've got a really good shutterfly coupon.

And I do theme books. Mostly for my Mom, MIL, and grandmothers. These I will normally create a kit myself to suit the reason... birthday, this is your life, Summer '08, etc. I have also gotten a Mega kit and used only it for a Grandma's bragbook. These theme books are the ones I get printed. The ones for my kids are works in progress.

Does that help?

Oh! On the pages where I have more than one kid... I might journal a little different on Cole's page then I would on Tess' page but the basic LO would stay the same. Great for moms of many

~Toiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto7 View Post
I am still trying to get the hang of this scrapbooking for myself thing. I am used to making siggies for other people who give me the pics they want me to work with, tell me the theme/colors/wording they want, etc.
So I am a bit overwhelmed at where to start on this. I seem to stare at my blank PS forever trying to decide where to begin.
So my question is when you open your program, how do you decide what you are going to work on.
For example are you making for a specific scrapbook, so you keep with a certain theme?
Are you thinking about a special pic that you want to make something with, and then what?
Are you doing something justbecause it fits a specific challenge, so you may or may not get it printed?
or Are you trying to find something that will work with that great new kit you just bought, and (again) then what?

Please tell a newbie how to get a handle on this. Please?

my email
Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
theStudio CT

Thank you so much for the response.
As a fellow mom to many I agree one page gets double duty, another advantage over traditional scrapbooking.
I am going to incorperate that too. I really like the mega kit for grandma brag books. I havent yet tried making my own kit, but I will someday.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:43 AM
theStudio Warhol

I usually start from kits I like, colours, designs, themes that appeal to me. Then I find photos to match. And when I have specific photos I wish to scrap (holidays, my cats, occasions), I rummage through my kits to find one that suits the photo(s). I print quite a lot of them, as I make them to give or show to other people.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 AM
theStudio Monet

I always have an "annual" family scrapbook that I try to keep relatively current. In addition, I do theme albums - for each vacation, my kids' lives, etc. Occasionally I do albums for gifts, too.

The one thing I learned, especially with my kids' albums, is to save certain layouts in PSDs or TIFFs (save with the layers in tact). Then, I can easily go back and exchange photos and journaling of the same event, tailored for each child. I have so many of these types of files right now that they are saved on an external hard drive, because I simply don't have enough space for all these plus my design work on my internal hard drive.

Also, when deciding what to work on, sometimes it's easier to do more recent events and go back and work on older things later. For me, it's easiest to do whatever is freshest in my mind. After a while, you'll find your own "rhythm" of scrapping and will also have a certain style that you prefer. These things just occur naturally.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 PM
theStudio CT

Thank you so much for the replys ladies. You have been so helpful. And have given me some new ideas to run with.
I think it is fun to see how people do things differently, and I can pull ideas from everyone
Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 PM
theStudio Designer

Hi Brenda, I remember how overwhelming it can be to start on something from the days I started digi scrapping
I pretty much do the same as Toiny and Darlene, work with events or organize a scrapbook.
It's probably easier to start if you find your favorite photos to work with, and then find a kit that goes with the theme. Save often as you work, and always save a PSD file at the end so you can go back and change things if you want.

Happy scrapping!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:51 AM
theStudio Artist

mainly, I just open my program and go! I have a lot of pictures so I know I will always have enough to scrap. I get a picture and then I start searching my kits. I try to match the colors and stuff like that, but I just go with the flow on things. Other times, I have this vision in my mind and then I just start there. I don't really do things in a theme as far as doing a book. I am a very random person when it comes to that. Now, my babies' books will be a baby theme, but the rest of them are not of a specific theme.

made by littlespooky with Lilypond kit
Old 05-02-2009, 06:02 AM
theStudio Party Girl

I'm just like Melanie, completely random! I'm all over the place with my scrapping! I like to do challenges, so those give me some great inspiration and ideas for pages. I'm not too good with theme albums. I get bored too easily, so they are a challenge for me! I have my kids baby books started, and every once in a while I will add a page to them, but I have to change up my kits & subjects to keep the ideas fresh and so I don't get bored! :p

I've also gotten kits that I absolutely LOVE and will just start playing with them with no thought to pictures at all! Then, when I have some Quick Pages made up, I will go searching for some pictures that go with the kit! I have THOUSANDS of pictures, so I will most certainly find one that goes with the page I scrapped! Other times, I will have a favorite picture and go in search of the perfect kit for it... see, completely random!

When I first started digi scrapping, I was in the same boat as you! I was totally lost as to how to start! But, once you dive right in, you sort of find your way, what you like, what you don't like, and you go from there! Also, when I first started, I would use a bunch of tutorials and made myself learn a new technique with every layout! It definitely made for a mish-mash type of look, with different styles, but that's how I learned!

If you get stuck, go browsing through the gallery for some inspiration! Also, there is a whole forum filled with tutorials & tips HERE
Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 AM
theStudio Artist

Oh gosh I would love to be able to put together a theme album. I guess I don't have the attention or focus for something like that. Usually I go with the kit. I look at the kit in general, then the individual elements and papers to see if there's stuff I can use. Knowing my pictures in general that usually works. If I've fallen in love with a kit but don't have a pic to match, or, I have a pic I really want to use but can't find a kit for it, I'll turn the pic to black and white. Sometimes if I'm doing a layout that isn't for my CT responsibilities I'll recolor the kit to match. If/when I'm in a rut, feeling uninspired, or haven't scrapped in a while and don't know where to start, I'll grab a scrapbooking magazine and scrap-lift layouts I see in there. That usually gives me the jump start I need.

Enjoy!
Doris
Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 AM
SAS-y Pebble

I'm pretty new to scrapbooking; I started about 6 months ago. What I started off with was scrapping my DD's baby pictures...my DD is nearly 22 years old now! That was a huge undertaking and I loved every second of working on it..and I finished that project about 2 weeks ago. I'm now working on creating a slide show so that has me researching music software. The end result of this project will be a DVD slide show enhanced with specific pieces of music. What I'm hoping that you are hearing in my reply is that sometimes you just have to dive in and begin to create, that having the final result firmly in your mind isn't necessary, that it's OK to make changes to your work as you go along, and that no matter if you have the end result pictured in your mind scrapping is always a step-by-step process.

Scrapping photos that were taken on special days - holidays, vacations, birthdays, and the like - makes those photos probably easier for everybody ti scrap. So, perhaps what you may be challenged by, what prompted your posting your questions in the first place, is what to do with photos that are, for lack of a better phrase, "ordinary" and/or taken "just because."

Because I'm new to the scrapping scene, I decided to scan ALL the photos I wanted to scrap (YIKES, that took a long time) and I dropped them into files that I simply labeled with the year that those photos were taken. Well, I've gotten so hooked on scrapping that I haven't let the research for the music software stop me from continuing to scrap the "next leg" of my pages. You might find, as I did, that you will see commonalities, or themes, inherent in the photos that you took for any given year. In my case, when "nothing" was apparent (LOL)...I "forced a theme." For example, I made several pages of our (family photos now, like I said I'm done with DD's baby book) *favorite things, *zodiac pages, *pages which highlight our specific quirks, etc. What this amounted to for me was thinking more deeply about our individuality, which all too often in my opinion, is taken for granted simply because we live with one another day in and day out. These new pages, I have to admit, are more interesting...to all of us.

Bottom line, Yes, I sure do understand how overwhelming staring at a blank page can be...but go ahead and just start, because there are NO wrong answers to what you produce! Scrapping is a "labor" of love.