Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 PM
theStudio Designer

Default Siege near my home ARGH!!

Well I am definitely staying home and locking my doors and windows today. I live near Roseberry, Sydney (In Australia) well actually one street away from a siege that is going on right this minute. Someone went to rob a Pub and shot a police man in the arm (now in hospital) at 5am this morning and there are apparantly 5 hostages being held in the pub. I pass this place nearly every day that I go out. So this is pretty scary.
I hope they clear it up soon. Of course being sunday there isn't a lot of news updates on the TV either. I hope nobody else gets hurt and that my Hubby doesn't have to attend, he's a paramedic and works in the city but could get called out to it.

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer ~ QC Liason

Old 05-31-2009, 03:07 AM
theStudio Designer

Well it's all over and the policeman is okay, just went through his bicep muscle. The gunman gave up after about 4 hours and was wounded and taken to hospital. Glad that's over, it's a bit frightening when things happen close to home. Thanks Jean!!

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 PM
theStudio Picasso

I'm glad all ended as well as it did, Tracy. That's pretty scary.

We have a lot happen here in our neighborhood, too. In fact, one of the scariest things we've had happen was that the man who lived in the condo next door to us - his condo and ours shared common walls - he went down the street to the grocery store near us and shot the produce manager who later died. This man then came home and waited for police to come. He opened fire on them as they approached him and the police shot back killing him. We were at my husband's mother's funeral when that happened and when we got to the cemetery which is right behind our condo complex, we could see the helicopters circling above our complex. After the dedication of the grave we headed home to see what was going on and as we drove down the street toward our place we could see the swat team van, TV station vans, police and emergency vehicles everywhere. And everything was taped off with police tape. Luckily we were able to still enter our home. The tape started just beyond our entrance. But the police detective approached us as we got out of our car and wanted to come in and talk to us. Where had we been, what had we been doing all morning, etc....

I think this shook us up more than Stephen's Mom's death did. She had cancer and was real sick so we were glad her suffering was over. But to know that the man next door did what he did was very upsetting. He was a recluse who rarely spoke to any of us. We would say hi to him and he'd just keep on walking by. So it was a shock to know that he did what he did. That was about four years ago.

Anyway, glad all is well with you and your family.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:45 PM
theStudio Designer

Oh Jan that is scarey, I can't imagine how sick in the stomach that must have made you both feel. You just don't know what is going on in some peoples' minds do you. Sorry to hear about your Mother in Law Hun (((HUGS)))
Tracy

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 PM
theStudio Picasso

Thanks, Tracy.

Yeah, it was very upsetting to us. Stephen's boss has told him to take whatever time off he needed to for his Mom's funeral and to spend time with our kids who came in from out of town to be with us for the funeral. Stephen isn't one to take advantage of anyone. So he gets back to work as soon as possible. We were handling his Mom's death just fine. But what our neighbor did shook us up so bad that he took one extra day off just to kind of stablize how we as a family were feeling about that. It just blew us away to think that we lived right next door to him and all the what ifs kind of got to us. I mean, the guy could have chosen to just go door to door taking out all of his neighbors! We felt so bad for him though. What could have been going on in his life to have caused him to do what he did? He always kept to himself and never ever caused any problems for anyone. It was just so weird.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
theStudio Artist

Hey Jan,
Scarey but you gotta admit...It's always the quiet ones!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 AM
the Studio - Designer

Wow Jan that is weird and scary hun .... I live in a very quiet area where almost nothing ever happens, if a bin is knocked over it's town news .... LOL ... I think I would definitely freak out about that :eek:
Old 06-10-2009, 01:10 PM
theStudio Monet

Wow, very scary - but I'm glad it's all good now!