Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Critique Corner

Critique Corner Post links to your layouts that you want honest constructive criticism on.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:57 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Default Looking to Improve Please Review

I'm a newbie!! This is only my third ever digi layout. True Love, There is something bothering me, but, I can't figure what it is. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I am using PSE 7 and do not know my way around the program that well, but learning. I'm hoping to get this right so I can send it out as christmas presents to my brothers and sisters.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:36 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Well, I am fairly new to scrapping but am a quick study and from what I can see, the first thing that jumps out at me are the 3D type images behind the flat images......

You have a photo in the middle, which has flowers behind it and thats not supposed to happen.
You should think about digi-scrapping, just like paper scrapping.
So if you would not glue flowers under your photo on paper (cause it would cause all sorts of lumps and bumps on the photo) then dont do it on digital because although you dont get the lumps, it still looks odd.....

Now the rest, is just my personal opinion.... so please dont hate me LOL

I think the frame on the top image blends into the paper too much, you could turn the paper upside down so the pale blue frame contrasts onto the green? Or use a different frame - maybe a white frame with an edgy/cracked overlay to make the photo seem old?

The flowers on the bottom frame with the butterfly I think have a lot going on and they are a little big. They overwhelm the photo on the left, detracting from it.....
I would shrink the whole lot down and make it more subtle.

I think the layout is good, its just the pictures are the important part and the rest should accentuate the images, not hide them.
I love that in the photos you chose, the two male images are 'looking' at the lady in the middle, it's awesome!!! Very well chosen.

Now those are just my thoughts.... so please dont be offended and I dont expect you to go off and make it how I said, they were just suggestions hun!!!

xx

| CT Member : LightningBug Creations |
Old 09-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Designer Contestant 2009

I think its a good start and what I would suggest is to pick a center of focus. The couple photo is nice and so are the other 3, so pick one as a center of focus and than position the others as accent. Remember to play with sizes and just as the post above me says think of it as paperscrapping and how would you put a page together. Don't crowd your page and the title should be an accent. And your father was a cutie! Feel free to post another one or this one again if you would like!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
the Studio - Designer

For your third layout your are doing a fabulous job .... now down to the nitty gritty

I agree with all that was mentioned above, you could also try moving the floral border from under the center photo and placing it at the top to balance out the heaviness at the bottom and move the title to the center on either side of the photo just above the cluster frame, also a contrasting mat under that center photo would help it to 'pop' from the page .... just my humble opinions

Keep up the fantastic scrapping and I can't wait to see what you do to this layout
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 PM
theStudio Artist

I agree that the flower & butterfly in lower left should be smaller as it almost 'hides' the photo. The top photo should be a bit larger with a frame that makes it stand out more. Maybe a patterned frame. The set of three photos should be a bit smaller. If you make changes, please repost so we can see!!!!!! No matter what you do, it will be a wonderful Christmas gift.

~Have a wonderfully creative moment each day.~