Go Back   theStudio > Welcome to theStudio! > Introduce Yourself!

Introduce Yourself! New to theStudio? Or been here a while but you've been lurking? Stop here and introduce yourself! Tell us how you got started in digiscraping or what you love about digiscraping - just anything you'd like to say! We'd love to welcome you to our community! Make sure to start a new thread so you don't get lost in a thread that is already there!! ;>)

Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 PM
SAS-y Scrapper

Default Kind of new here

Hi. My name is Courtney and I'm a scrap kit addict. J/k
I'm 27 yrs old and SAHM mom to 3 kids (4, 2 1/2, and 6 months) and the wife to a hot pharmacist . In the past I have bought kits for designing siggies, blinkies, and other things. I've recently quit doing that just because I don't have time anymore. I DO want to start trying to digiscrap, since I have jillions of kits. Are you sitting down? You might want to before you read this next line...
I haven't even done ONE layout yet... I know, i've shocked you all. BUT I want to start. But I have some q's.
Why do I see a lot of pages with only 1 picture?? Isn't that kind of a waste of printing?? I have done Creative Memories in the past and you want to put more than one picture on a page -otherwise it gets really expensive.
What size do you make your pages?
Where's a good place to print? Can you put them in any album or do you have to buy special ones?
If I want to do challenges, where's the best place to start?
Since I've done lots of designing siggies, I'm also interested in designing kits... where do I start?
Oh, I use PSE6, CS4, and i have PSPx2 (which i haven't really gotten the hang of yet).
Okay, I have more questions, but my baby boy is crying. I'll be back. Thanks for any help/suggestions!!

Courtney
Old 09-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Designer Contestant 2009

Hi Courtney! Don't worry about not having done a layout yet, it can be intimidating if you don't know where to start! I think the one picture per page thing is personal preference. I have layouts with one, two or many pictures on the page, it depends how many good pictures I have and what I'm trying to get across. I usually scrap at 12x12 and then print at home on photo paper at 8x8 and slip the layout in my regular 8x8 scrapbook album. I love digi because it's flat and I can fit way more layouts in an album and I don't have to worry about all the bumpy stuff wrecking other layouts.

Usually for challenges I just pick one that catches my interest and then go from there. As for designing, I just started playing around with my software and picked up stuff from tutorials along the way.

Can't wait to see some layouts of your family! I have no suggestions for a crying baby, mine are 4 and 6, that seems so long ago!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 PM
theStudio Designer

Hi Courtney and welcome to SAS!
If you need inspiration for your layouts, there are wonderful pages in our gallery. I'm sure you will find your own style as you are working on your own pages.
Good luck!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Hello & welcome to SAS

Old 11-21-2009, 09:26 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Hi Courtney! Welcome to SAS!

Wow, you do have lots of questions! LOL! All good questions, though!

One pic per page is definitely a personal preference... you'll find, as you start to scrap, that sometimes you can get a whole slew of pics on a page and it looks fantastic... then other times, you have to downsize the number of pics to add all of those juicy papers/elements from that fabulous kit you have! I pretty much scrap based on my mood that day and what works with the kit I'm using - I have layouts that have only 1 photo & some with up to 12+

I scrap at 12X12 size, then downsize to 8X8 when I want to make a photobook - I rarely ever print single pages because it gets expensive and the photobooks come out soooo nice! There are several sites you can get layouts printed at:

Scrapping Simply is one of the best for single prints! And their prices are very reasonable!

I get my photobooks printed from either Shutterfly (which is kind of pricey) or Artscow (fairly cheap, but quality is slightly less than shutterfly, not enough to make a huge difference though, especially when on a tight budget!)

As far as albums for single pages, any scrapbooking album where you can slide the prints in either from top or side will work.

Challenges are easy - we have a bunch you can browse through to help get you started. For a beginner, I would start with either the Color Challenge, The Clutter It Challenge or the Desktop challenge. They each offer a starter kit or basic page to help you scrap your page and there's loads of inspiration in their respective galleries in case you get stuck. I also have a Template Challenge that can help you get your first layout done! If you need instructions on how to use the template, just shoot me a message and I will be more than willing to help you out!

As far as designing, I started with tutorials and learned a little here and there - when I wanted to learn more, I signed up for Sherah's Digi Design Academy! Sherah is a wonderful teacher, and her courses are learn-at-your-own pace which is perfect for me with my two little ones!

I use PSE5, and some PS7 so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!!
Old 11-21-2009, 01:27 PM
theStudio Artist

Glad you found SAS - members here are most encouraging.

The challenges are good way to learn to do LO's. My favorites are the monthly desktop calendar or special progressive scraps! In these challenges, everyone uses the same papers and embellishments. It enables you see what others do with the same tools. It's amazing how creative digital scrappers can be!!!

Have fun and enjoy!

~Have a wonderfully creative moment each day.~