Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Software Books > Photo Retouching

Photo Retouching Here is a list of a few good books on photo manipulation and repair. They also have good general information on using many of the features of PS.. If you know of a good book to add to the list please start a thread to share it. Julie

Old 07-15-2007, 06:19 PM

Smile GIMP Books

As donwilmom is being so kind (and courageous I must say to start a thread about GIMP, I feel encourage by her example and I will post the link to a book I'm reading.

Even though I have learnt a lot from Photoshop tutorials and Photoshop forums, not to speak of GIMP Talk (a GIMP forum), I have felt that in the first two places things were harder to make them work in GIMP and in the third place the information is quite scattered even though it's wonderful. So I decided to go to Amazon and I bought this book about GIMP that is not very expensive and I'm now reading and think is a perfect source of information.

It's "GIMP 2 for Photographers" by Klaus Goelker. It's fantastic, it goes through the basics to more complicated stuff and it comes with a slightly older version of GIMP in CD with all the extras you need and you can get in the net, as well as all instructions you will need to install it in all the systems (Windows, Mac and Linux systems if it's not already pre installed).

The version you can download in Internet right now is 2.2.14 and the one in the book is 2.2.12. And the GTK version is also a bit older. In the net you can find a new version GTK 2.10.6 and the one in the book Cd is 2.8.18. The only differences between those versions are mainly improvements in the software, and the ones in the book Cd are perfect for anyone starting. The Cd also comes with all the plugins you will need to deal with RAW images in GIMP as well as PDFs, and of course all the information you will need to proceed in those cases.

It's very easy to read, the explanations are very good and it's full of examples and images for you to practice all the information that the book has. It's a hands on book. And it's not very expensive. It will surely be in Amazon.com but if it's not there I just bought it in Amazon.co.uk. So you can easily find it there and I'm pretty sure they ship books to the USA.

I hope this is of help to anyone.

Last edited by olga9999; 07-15-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 AM
SAS-y Pebble

My turn to say thanks I didn't know about this book. I did find it on Amazon and I will be ordering it the first of the month. It will solve one problem I am having, I find it difficult to follow a tutorial because I need to "do as I read". There is just not enough room on my little monitor. With a book I won't need the monitor for the tut.

I have a couple of E books, Groking the Gimp is just too hard to follow. I got a lot of tips from Sam's teach yourself GIMP in 24 hours. It is free and you can find it here http://library.n0i.net/linux-unix/ap...html#Heading11
It says for Linux-unix but it works on the windows version too. It starts out pretty basic then gets more tech. I need to go through it again I am sure there is much more there to learn.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM

Yes it will definitely work with the Windows version as there is no difference between the two. I have been looking quickly that book and it looks very interesting and very good. It's a tad old but everything is valid in the most recent versions of GIMP as you can do that and many more things. Thanks a million for the link I have already bookmarked it.

I think the same as you, I need a book in front of me when I'm practising in the computer, going back and forth between windows to read instructions makes things more difficult. That's why I bought the book and I have been checking more books in Amazon about GIMP.

There is another one called "Beginning GIMP, from beginners to professional" by A Peck, also in Amazon and a very recent one in filters I have seen there too. They are the most recently books published I could find so they take into account the latest GIMP versions, but they are more expensive than the first one I talked about. Anyway "Beginning GIMP from beginner to professional" has even better reviews than the one I have, and I think it's a great book. So they both are in my Wish list for my next shopping spree in there.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:43 AM
SAS-y Pebble

Phew! I have been so busy with other stuff the last few days I havn't had time for posting!

Thanks for the Giimp titles Olga. I am going to go looking on Amazon right now. I will probably check Barns and Noble too. It is so neat to have a GIMP user to chat with! I hope we can attract some more. The more the Marrier!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:26 AM

I know what you mean. Everyone else works with either PSP or Photoshop so you kinda feel a bit strange as you also need to adapting anything you read to the program.

GIMP is actually a great program and you can do lots with it, unfortunately any help is a bit scattered and there aren't so many books. The ones I have mentioned are the most recent and only ones I have knowledge about. I know the books in Amazon.com are different from the ones in Amazon.co.uk, but I'm not sure whether they will be more in the first one. I need to check those places as we don't have big library chains like Barnes and Nobles in Ireland. Amazon is the place to buy rare books for me
Old 08-05-2007, 03:36 AM
SAS-y Pebble

I havn't forgotten about this thread! I checked out the titles you mentioned and I can get them at Amazon and B&N. There are even a few copies in used books that are a little less expensive. In the last week I have been trying to translate a PS tut on realistic paper fold and I am tearing my hair out! Just when I think I have it I loose it. I am not going to give up though. If you are interested here is a link. http://snapandscrap.net/blog/?p=337. My next venture will be to try text on a path. I don't know if GIMP can do that yet, but I am going to try.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwilmom View Post
I havn't forgotten about this thread! I checked out the titles you mentioned and I can get them at Amazon and B&N. There are even a few copies in used books that are a little less expensive. In the last week I have been trying to translate a PS tut on realistic paper fold and I am tearing my hair out! Just when I think I have it I loose it. I am not going to give up though. If you are interested here is a link. http://snapandscrap.net/blog/?p=337. My next venture will be to try text on a path. I don't know if GIMP can do that yet, but I am going to try.
I know this tutorial I have already tried it and itīs very good, so you have very good information. The text on a path is going to be a tad difficult, because I know that you can get text to follow a path when you use the animation package in GIMP (GAP) but I havenīt found a way to do it like they do in Photoshop. The closer thing to following a path is a tutorial for PSE to create a text in a circle that you can actually adapt to create arcs and perhaps other effects. Itīs this one "Creating Circular Text" There is also this other tutorial TECHNIQUE: Warped Type
Itīs a way of using the different filters to see what you can get more or less
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 AM
SAS-y Scrapper

Hi there. I am new to this site, just joined!
I am a user of GIMP. I have been using it for about two years. I design in it (I sell at snap and scrap) and I also scrap with it. I don't have any other program, only GIMP. I am self-taught. GIMP is amazing and perfect if you are wanting to try out digital scrap booking without spending a fortune. Some 30day trials are just not long enough. I did the 30-day trial for PSP, but it wasn't long enough for me to get the hang of, and frankly, I find GIMP a lot more user-friendly.
If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.

My Blog
Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 AM
SAS-y Pebble

Hi Bonnie! Welcome to Stone Accents. I am sure glad to see another GIMP user here. I have been using GIMP for almost 2 years and am self taught. I don't do much designing beyond making something I need for scrapping. I love scrapping! I was just checking out your designs on your blog, I love your layouts. I can get some great inspiration there. I am always looking for new tutorials for GIMP, so if you know of any please share. Have you seen the thread in the tutorial section? I look forward to hearing more from you!!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 AM
SAS-y Scrapper

Hi Donna
When I first started using GIMP, no one knew what I was talking about! LOL! Now it is becoming known and I think more people are realizing what a great and FREE program it is! I am going to be making my own GIMP tutorials as my best friend wants to learn digital scrap booking and the only way i can teach her is with the program I know best of all-GIMP. So as I do them i will let you know!
Thank you for the warm welcome! I know Lisa West-we go back quite far..I know her from Rakscraps and Olga is also someone who frequents my blog quite often *wave to Olga!* This seems like a nice community!

My Blog
Old 09-19-2007, 03:35 PM
SAS-y Scrapper

Default GIMP Tut

I have written my first GIMP tutorial in a PDF format. It is 20 pages. I designed it with learning digital scrap booking in mind. It covers the basics. As I write more I will add them to the sidebar on my blog.
HERE is the first one for anybody interested.
hugs. Bonnie

My Blog
Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Thanks for the tutorial Bonnie. I have been using GIMP for quite a while now but I am sure that there is much more I can learn.