Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Events > Archived Events 2009 > THANKS GIVING BASH

THANKS GIVING BASH Thanks Giving Games and Challenges from our SAS Team Members Carmen of LightningBug Creations and Kimberkatt

Old 11-14-2009, 03:45 AM
theStudio Designer

Wink We Want Details LOL

What are you doing for Thanks Giving?? Do you go and visit family far away or do you just stay home? What do you eat? What are you going to say you are thankful for on Thanks Giving Day?? How long after Thanks Giving are you still eating Turkey Sandwiches for LOL??
Inquiring Minds need to know. We Aussies Don't have Thanks Giving. We have Australia Day, which is more like your Fourth of July/Independence Day.
Come on in and share your plans with us

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason

Old 11-14-2009, 12:08 PM
theStudio Picasso

I'll be doing part of the cooking, others will help out. Menu is turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls & butter (the real stuff!), candies sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

Dinner is here at our house since I can seat 12 at my table. Right now it looks like a full house with 7 family and 4-5 friends. We'll be eating early since DD will probably have the afternoon shirt at Disney. She won't have her schedule until Wednesday, so plans may change. My guest philosophy is the more the merrier, so it might be an even larger group. Time will tell.

We've had a couple of fun and unusual Thanksgiving memories over the years. I used to be a Realtor and sold a home to a family from Hong Kong. None of them except Dad had ever been to the US and the idea of eating turkey was totally alien, as was stuffing and pumpkin pie. We had a wonderful time introducing them to the new foods.

DH used to work for an international company and one time there were several colleagues from Germany all here at the same time. It wasn't the right date, but we served them a traditional dinner with much the same response as the Hong Kong family. New, different food - but enjoyable.

Here's a beautiful looking turkey - this one cooked by my daughter in 2007. http://www.stoneaccentsstudioforum.c...php?photo=4789
Old 11-14-2009, 12:20 PM
SAS-y Pebble

We have no Thanksgiving ... Is a day like everyone else ... * smile *
Old 11-14-2009, 01:00 PM
theStudio CT

No Thanksgiving in the Netherlands either. Just another day!

Creative for
The Studio, Ambowife Designs, BooLand Designs, Lara's Digiworld, Sarah Barber Designs, Feli Designs, Berna Datema, Joelle Designs, Cryztal Rain, Crowabout StudioB, Marta van Eck, Aneczka Designs,Studio Manu, Misker Whiskers

I'm proud to be a
Old 11-14-2009, 02:14 PM
theStudio Designer

Ah see we don't have the pilgrims and Indians thing, isn't that the story behind it Linda?? It sounds like you are the pilgrims and your guests over the years have been the ones being introduced to your ways like the pilgrims did with the Indians. I may have to go google it to see if I am getting it right LOL. All I know is what I see on movies and we all know they can get it wrong sometimes.
It sounds a lot like our christmas dinner though I have never had Pumpkin Pie.
I love Pumpkin Scones though LOL.
OH Linda Does your Daughter work at Disney Land in Florida? Wow now I get it why it features a lot in your layouts over the years
Thanks for the lovely reply to my post, I can always get a good journalling from my Sharplie

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason

Old 11-14-2009, 02:15 PM
the Studio - Designer

Linda that sounds like you all have a wonderful time at Thanksgiving, I'm in the same boat as Tracy here, we don't have Thanksgiving but it is nice to hear how others celebrate it
Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 PM
theStudio Artist

The Thanksgiving tradition did start with the Pilgrims and Native Americans. But, for most of us today, it is a special day for family & friends to gather and give thanks for the blessings in our lives. In our house, each person takes a turn to tell about the things for which they are thankful. We eat way more than we intend or should. Get sleepy from eating turkey; and, to help us 'wake up', we eat pie (pumpkin or cheesecake in our house)! Oh, and of course, we watch football (American football, that is).

Whether you actually celebrate it or not ~~ Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

~Have a wonderfully creative moment each day.~

Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

Since Rick and I love to cook we love to have Thanksgiving at our House. Both the kids, rick's dad and my parents and sister will come to celebrate. I love my mom's stuffing and Rick's Potato filling and i will make the giblet gravy and Luke's favorote, green bean casserole. Hopefully there will be plenty of leftovers.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 PM
the Studio - Designer

I think it's just wonderful to have a day set aside to Give Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 10:58 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

sometimes i forget that certain countries have different holidays.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 AM
theStudio QC CT

Since we have been coming to FL for the winters the Holidays are so different. Some years we go to pot lucks here at the campground and others we go out to a restaurant. The first time we did that it was REALLY strange!

Thanksgiving was always a time for everyone to get together even if not for dinner. A lot of years my Mom worked but we always had a big traditional turkey dinner with many family members around.

Once I was married, the Holidays seemed to shift to our home. I love to cook so I didn't mind. I don't have one stand out memory, just lots of good ones mixed together.

Those who live in other countrys should celebrate it anyway (even if the neighbors don't), it is a lot of fun.

I am so thankful to have my DS and DIL and the most wonderful DH. I am always thankful that we are all healthy as I know all to well that can change in the blink of an eye!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!! Even those across the pond.

I love being creative for LightningBug Creations and Ambowife Designs!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:57 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Most stories of Thanksgiving history start with the harvest celebration of the pilgrims and the indians that took place in the autumn of 1621. Although they did have a three-day feast in celebration of a good harvest, and the local indians did participate, this "first Thanksgiving" was not a holiday, simply a gathering. There is little evidence that this feast of thanks led directly to our modern Thanksgiving Day holiday. Thanksgiving can, however, be traced back to 1863 when Pres. Lincoln became the first president to proclaim Thanksgiving Day. The holiday has been a fixture of late November ever since

READ MORE HERE

For those of you who are interested!

Our Thanksgiving is all about Family & Feasting!! Before I met my DH, we would get together at my Aunt's house, the 4 of us, the 5 of them and usually a whole slew of friends!! My Mom would cook a ham and my Aunt would cook the Turkey (some actually didn't like Turkey!!) and various side dishes including Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Green Bean Casserole, Corn, Squash, Pan Stuffing & Turkey stuffing, lots of bread & rolls, sweet pickles, beets, etc. etc. To finish off dinner, we would have Apple & Pumpkin Pie!! (Tracy, I can't believe you've never had Pumpkin Pie! I swear I'm gonna have one shipped to you so you can try it, it's delicious!!) Then, the men would go in and watch Football (bluck! I hate football! lol ) and the women would usually clean up then sit and chatter while drinking coffee!

Now that I have DH & kids, we go next door to the Great-Grandparents house (DH Grandparents) where we have the Feast (same as above!) We figured, sad to say, that the Great-Grandparents are getting on in age, so we try to enjoy most holidays with them, for the sake of the kids! Our kids need to know how wonderful these two people are!!! Lucky for us, they live right next door and the kids just adore them!!

To me, Thanksgiving has always been a sort of prep for Christmas... that Christmas excitement always hits me on Thanksgiving Day!!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 AM
theStudio Monet

My little girl's preschool is having a Thanksgiving feast a couple days before and they all have to dress up as pilgrims or indians, and the teacher's worried they all want to be indians... LOL

We celebrate every year. It's really just about family more than anything. We take turns going to my family's house and my in-laws' house. This year it is my family so we'll drive 3 hours up to my mom and dad's house and see them and all my sisters and one brother and their kids, and have a huge meal around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. (Feast pretty much like Kimberly, and now I'm getting really hungry after her great description)

My favorite part other than laughing and giggling with my sisters is the pumpkin pie

Old 11-16-2009, 05:31 AM
theStudio Rembrandt

when I worked at the daycare at the gym we used to have a Charlie Brown thanksgiving feast, and we used to make cute pilgrim hats,indian headpieces and trace the kids hands turkeys. It was so much fun. I really miss working there cause I love children sooo much!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:36 AM
theStudio Rembrandt

oh! I forgot to say, I was reading Kimberkatt's post about christmas prep. Rick and I always put up the christmas decorations thanksgiving weekend. I am not putting up the big tree this year because of my giant white puppy, curly..he would be eating all my decorations and probably knocking over the tree so many times..lol. we also decorate the front porch with my snowman theme. I iwll take photos...
Old 11-16-2009, 06:58 AM
theStudio Party Girl

That's when I usually decorate, too, Carmen! Weekend after Thanksgiving is when the decorations come out, the Christmas Music goes on and we start watching Rudolph & Frosty! LOL! We don't usually get our tree until the week before Christmas, because hubby loves real trees... we always had a "fake" tree growing up, so the Tree was up right after Thanksgiving!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:41 PM
the Studio - Designer

Wow you really decorate early don't you, but I guess it just adds to the festive feelings, we decorate 1-2 weeks before Christmas, mind you I can't wait to take them down after New Years because they really do make you feel 'hot' in a tropical climate .... which is a shame because I love Christmas and all the decorations and carols etc .. hubby hates the carols so I can only play them when he's out of the house, which is most of the time lol
Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 PM
theStudio Monet

I'm with Carmen and Kimberly. Maybe it's a USA thing? We always decorate as soon as we get back from Thanksgiving dinner wherever it is that year. If it's at my husband's family, they actually go cut down their own trees on Saturday, Thanksgiving weekend. Most years we've been with my family, my in-laws have gotten us a tree anyway, and bring it to us on Sunday when we're getting back home

So yes, probably a good month of Christmas decor, but then right after Christmas, we're packing it all up unlike some people I know keep it up through New Years. We get it all put away the next day or two so we can enjoy New Year's in a fresh clean house

Old 11-16-2009, 05:37 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsybelle View Post
Wow you really decorate early don't you, but I guess it just adds to the festive feelings, we decorate 1-2 weeks before Christmas, mind you I can't wait to take them down after New Years because they really do make you feel 'hot' in a tropical climate .... which is a shame because I love Christmas and all the decorations and carols etc .. hubby hates the carols so I can only play them when he's out of the house, which is most of the time lol
You know...I think if it was "Summer" during Christmas, I wouldn't want those decorations up for too long, either! Of course, I've only ever known Christmas with snow and icicles, so I can't say for sure....

Our decorations stay up through New Year... We have family that visits after Christmas that likes to see what the kids got from Santa, so we keep the tree up with their presents underneath...we usually take them down that weekend after New Years, though...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

we keep our decorations up until new years too. Rick packed everything up for me last year cause i had to work from nov to end of feb with only 4 days off. that was crazy! this year he will be happy with not as much to pack away without the big tree going up. We keep my snowman collection up until end of feb. My friends are so into christmas they have a real tree in everyroom. it is really cool. there house is on the historic christmas tour for the city of Reading. Hopefully i can get to see them this year. been so busy, really miss the kids.