Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Newbie Frequently Asked Questions

Old 09-20-2007, 02:44 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default zip files

How do you handle your zip files?Do you delete them as soon as you back them up to a cd-r? I already lost brownbag zip 1 and do not have the unzipped files either. I don't know how this happened.Any suggestions for a good system to handle zips? Do you back up the opened files and the zip or just the zip? I am scared now to delete the zip from harddrive.
Sorry for the repeat post.The computer started running slow during the post process and didn't seem work-but I guess it did! Don't know how to delete a post. Please forgive?

Last edited by Joba2; 09-20-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: somehow posted twice .I want to delete this copy
Old 09-20-2007, 02:56 PM
SAS-y Pebble

I forgive I forgive!

As for my all my stuff is on a flash drive
Old 09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
theStudio Picasso

After I unzip things, I put all of the zip files together in another folder and save them to a DVD. I make a backup copy of everything in my "Scrapbook Ingredients" folder on a monthly basis.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
SAS-y Pearl

I back up zip files and after I back them up I look in them to make sure everything is in them, then I delete the one on my hard drive. And did you need a new copy of Brown Bag 1?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
theStudio Artist

I have been deleting the zip files after I back up the files that I unzip
Maybe I should back up the zip files to

Mary Ellen
My Gallery
Old 09-20-2007, 09:25 PM
SAS-y Diamond

After 2 hard drive failures within 18 mos, I purchased a Mirra backup system. It backs up everything automatically and constantly. It even saves the last 7 versions of a file. I was backing up with DVD's but just wasn't very consistant so I did lose some important photos. Never again!!

I delete zip files after downloading.

Janalyn's Place Blog
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 PM
theStudio Warhol

I delete zip files as soon as i unzip them. I make backups of my unzipped kits. zips are a waste of space.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:15 AM
theStudio Picasso

Yes I would love the zip1 of brown bag!
If you back up the zip then is it nec. to also back up the unsipped files? Or visa versa? Is a zip file the same amt of file size as the unsipped?
Pillowgirl gave some excellent advise about checking the backup zip to make sure it is all there.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 AM
SAS-y Pearl

most times, zips are a bit smaller than unzipped folders.
some weeks ago i've bought a second hd for my pc and put all scrapping stuff
on this and also bought an external hd where i copy everything from my scrapping-hd and since then i delete all the zips after unpacking
it has another advantage,
i can use the kits also on my laptop.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 AM
theStudio Party Girl

I used to backup all my zips on DVD's but it was using way too many DVD's, so I just started unzipping and backing up the unzipped files only... I, too, check my DVD's after I burn them to make sure that the files are working on the DVD before I delete them permanently off my HD... I lost a bunch of scrapbooking stuff because I burned them and then deleted before checking the DVD, and, sure enough, the files were corrupt on the DVD! I was so ticked off! Since then, I ALWAYS check the DVD before deleting... I have a DVD binder that I keep all my DVD's cataloged in... About once every two months, I make back-up copies of my DVD's, so I have two copies of everything, one to use, one to store away in case anything happens to my DVD's... As for my digital pictures, I have about 4 copies of each DVD, because I am sooooo scared of losing my pictures!!! I would die if I lost my pics of my kids growing up!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:02 PM
theStudio Picasso

You have given me alot to think about. I still do not really understand if backing up zips instead of the unsipped folder is best or visa versa or backing up both. Which takes up less disc space ? I can see alot of cd /dvd's will be needed especially if second and third copies are made! I just got to get a system down.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM
theStudio Party Girl

The zip files take up less disk space, and I wouldn't waste my $$$ on CD's because they just don't have enough space on them to be worthwhile... we all know how much space the digital files take up! LOL! You can find low cost DVD's that work great for storing data, but are low cost because they're not so great at making movies (found that out the hard way! :p )
Old 09-21-2007, 05:26 PM
SAS-y Gem

Generally I put my zip files in a folder, and when I get around to unzipping them I unzip them to the desktop. I then move my unzipped files from the desktop to whatever folder I want them in and move the zip files that I've opened to another folder I label "unzipped zips". When the folder gets to the size that fits on a DVD I burn the zip files to them and label the DVD by month. I then also burn the opened files to a separate DVD and label it by the same month so if I lose a file I know which DVD to find the zip on. I also weekly back my files up on to an external hard drive. So far I haven't lost anything except the time it took to recover the files by going through the DVD's.