Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default A little advise please

Hi , I am thinkng of getting a new program for all of my scrapping needs . Which really I guess are kind of basic . I do not design kits or anything like that . May be it is something I could venture into in the future but right now I am really into just scrapping , editing my photos and a little siggie making once in awhile . I have been using PDN (paintdotnet ) for about 2 years now and am really comfortable with the program .It's easy to use and the price was fantastic .How an you beat free??LOL. However latlely there are times I find my slef saying"I wish I could do this ..." or "I wish I could do that ..." .For instance I have some great ribbons that are straight that I would love to curl for certain pages .Can't figure out how to do it using PDN .And Afew other effects from time to time I might like to try . So I am asking the hubby for a new program for Valentines Day but I am at a loss of what to ask for .Awhile back I tried using PSP(can't remeber which version) on my brothers computer (when he was staying with us ) because he raved so much about it . However I was not completly won over by the program . Some aspects of it were great others jsut seemd to confuse me .So anyway long story short I guess what I am asking is :Waht programs are you using? Would you recommend them ? Whats the learning curve ?
I need something that is not going to fustrate me after a few trys and make want to give up and go back to my handy dandy free little program PDN.After all I dont want to spend money on something I am not going to use after a few trys , ya know?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
theStudio Owner

Honestly? I love photoshop but unless you are independently wealthy or can use it to make some money, it is not worth it's fancy price tag.

Gimp is free. It is a lot like photoshop and there are at least two Designers on here that have experience with it. I would try out Gimp first, and ask questions as you run across them. I'm betting they might enjoy finding the answers for you.

All that said, I haven't ever used PSP so I do not have that compare Photoshop to.

Smooches,

Toiny

my email
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
theStudio Designer

Did you try Photoshop Elements? You can get a free trial at the adobe website to see if you like it. It's not that expensive - and it actually comes free with some computer gadgets (you might also find some great deals on the "older" versions)
Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 PM
theStudio Picasso

I use Paint Shop Pro X2 and can get do a lot with it. If you do a search for the OEM version, you can get it for around $30.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:38 PM
theStudio CT

I also use pspx2 and I find it a great programm. I'm doing it for almost 2 years now and I'm still learning, but I think that's goes for every programm. You can get a 30 days trial for psp x2 when you go to the officale homepage.

Creative for
The Studio, Feli Designs, Berna Datema, Joelle Designs, Crowabout StudioB, Marta van Eck, Studio Manu, Rucola Designs, Pinklotty Designs

Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 AM
theStudio Artist

I use DIP, which Microsoft discontinued a few years ago. I am not ready to upgrade yet.

The best thing to do is pick up the free trial versions of both PSP and PSE. Pop around the net looking for tutorials on how to use them, and try each of them for a month. Then tell Hubby which one he wants to get for you.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:33 AM
theStudio Rembrandt

Yay! Someone else that uses MS DIP. I love the simplicity of use with this. I have PSP X2 but get lost every time I try to use it. someday I'll learn it - because DIP does give me problems occasionally
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM
theStudio Monet

I use Creative Memories Storybook 3 ~ the cost is about $65.00. The software was created using feature sets from a wide range of digital software products and taking the best of each. It is not meant for designing, however, in it's latest version it is geared towards some of that. It certainly is not Photoshop, but for me, who needed simple and user friendly it has worked great. It has it's limitations, however, it allows cropping, coloring, recoloring, re-arrangements and comes with some CU kits. For more information you can visit Creative Memories website.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 AM
theStudio Warhol

Thank you all for the input.I am thinking maybe I should try out the trial versions as suggested . That way I can see which I think I would be more comfortable using . I did DL gimp but have not yet had a chance to play around with it . I looked up some tuts for however . So far the tuts I have seen are of no interest to me . LOL. They did not seem to me to be geared towards scrapping .
Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM
theStudio Warhol

I also sent you a private message debbyann73, I hope it will offer something to think about!